Wordsmith.org
Posted By: garynamy actionable - 01/29/01 01:33 PM
I work at a very large Fortune 500 company (whose name you may be able to guess if you can see my e-mail address). Various higher-ups here, including the son of the CEO are using the word 'actionable' in a way I find irritating.

To me, 'actionable' means something like 'an adjective decribing a thing you do that you could get sued about.' Not around here. In corporate-speak, it's closer to 'possible to do.'

So an 'actionable agenda' would one that employees (associates, at this company) could pick up and do, as contrasted with one that's more strategic or intellectual in nature.

Is there anything wrong with this? Am I behind the times? Is 'doable' any better as an alternative? gs

Posted By: Sparteye Re: actionable - 01/29/01 02:10 PM
garynamy, the only definition my American Heritage gives is "giving cause for legal action." I've never heard the term used to mean anything else (but, I work in the law, so my view may be skewed). It sounds to me like this use of "actionable" is brought to us by the same corporate-speak folks who brought us "incent." Good luck trying to kill it.

Let's help garynamy by giving him a pithy alternative.

Posted By: Solamente, Doug. Re: actionable - 01/29/01 02:36 PM
I loathe corporate jargon. What's wrong with using a plain and simple word like realistic to describe a 'doable' or 'actionable' project?

Posted By: Marty Re: actionable - 01/29/01 09:01 PM
feasible?

Posted By: Marty Re: actionable - 01/29/01 09:06 PM
...or achievable?

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: actionable - 02/01/01 06:17 PM
or attainable

Posted By: belMarduk Re: actionable - 02/02/01 02:36 AM
If you work in a big company you probably have a bulletin board. You should photocopy the definition of the word in your dictionary, enlarge it, highlight it, then post it under the heading What word have YOU used incorrectly today? Make sure the heading is very visible (I suggest 60 points if using Times New Roman). Works every time.

Posted By: jmh What word have YOU used incorrectly today? - 02/02/01 02:01 PM
Wonderful idea Bel

And your consultancy fee for such advice is ....?

© Wordsmith.org