Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Father Steve Decant - 08/14/04 02:01 AM
There I was, having made chili powder the night before, pouring cumin seeds from the big jar which I keep in the pantry into the little spice jar in which I keep just enough of them near the stove to use when necessary. It is a space problem in my unsuitably-sized kitchen, you see.

To the question "Whatcha doin'?" I replied "Decanting comino" to which she replied, "You can't decant seeds because they are not a liquid" to which I replied "Can, too. See?"

Ruling, please.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Decant - 08/14/04 02:53 AM
strictly speaking, you decant a liquid; but...

c. transf. To pour or empty out (as from or into a decanter).

1742 YOUNG Nt. Th. iii. 339 O'er our palates to decant Another vintage? 1823 Blackw. Mag. XIV. 586 He..used to have eighty pails of water decanted over him daily. 1871 M. COLLINS Mrq. & Merch. II. vi. 162 All the vegetables in the world are decanted into Covent Garden. 1915 J. BUCHAN 39 Steps vii. 171, I was decanted at Crewe..and had to wait till six to get a train for Birmingham. 1925 WODEHOUSE Carry On, Jeeves! ii. 46 The nurse..got up with the baby and decanted it into a perambulator. 1959 T. S. ELIOT Elder Statesman II. 47 Let's hope this [conversation] was merely the concoction Which she decants for every newcomer.
[OED2]

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Decant - 08/14/04 06:07 PM
The hanging appendages on some berries found on NZ's NorthIsland are so small they take on many of the characteristics of a liquid because they roll over one another so easily. This little-known fact was pointed out by Chaucer in Decanter o' Berry Tails.

Posted By: wordminstrel Re: Decant - 08/14/04 06:15 PM
This little-known fact was pointed out by Chaucer in Decanter o' Berry Tails.

I thought it was "Saucer" in Decanter o' Berry Tails.

Posted By: wordminstrel Can or Decant - 08/14/04 06:18 PM
re Saucer in Decanter O' Berry Tails

Whether you can, or whether you decant, you still have to squeeze the berries first.

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Decant - 08/14/04 06:21 PM
Nope, 'twas his Mickey Mouse apprentice.

© Wordsmith.org