Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Father Steve Daren't - 08/12/04 12:30 AM
The spell checker on my WORD 2003 program bounces back "daren't" as a non-word. Yet, M-W lists it. What's up with those chipheads at Microsoft?

Posted By: Faldage Re: chipheads at microsoft - 08/12/04 10:10 AM
Parboly they took the top 10,000 words off the wordcount list and thought that'd be enough for any normal person.

Posted By: Alex Williams Re: chipheads at microsoft - 08/12/04 01:52 PM
You need a special British version maybe, one that would include daren't, mustn't, and of course, dog's bollocks.
http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang

Posted By: Jackie Re: spell checker - 08/12/04 02:16 PM
a special British version Oh, man--can't you just envision a "conversation" between British and U.S. spell-checkers? I think it would be a lot like that howl-worthy Abbott and Costello dialogue that Ted posted in W & F!

B: I say, daren't is indeed a word.
US: Naw.
B: Gnaw? I'm not hungry.

Posted By: belMarduk Re: spell checker - 08/12/04 09:55 PM
That's funny Father Steve. If I set my Word program on Enlgish (US) it accept the word.

Tell me though, doesn't the U.S. versions of Word have dictionaries in a whole slew of languages like ours?

Posted By: amemeba Re: Daren't - 08/12/04 10:23 PM
Down south we don't much say "daren't"; but we sometimes do. Mostly we just say "dasen't", which is different.

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Daren't - 08/13/04 12:12 AM
RANKIN: Indeed and they did. The poor Cadi is so terrified by all he has haird of the destruction of the Spanish fleet, that he daren't trust himself in the captain's hands.

DRINKWATER: (in intense distress, appealing to Lady Cicely) Down't let em burn em, Lidy. They dasn't if you horder them not to.

Captain Brassbound's Conversion by George Bernard Shaw, Act III.

Posted By: Capfka Re: Daren't - 08/13/04 03:02 AM
What's up with those chipheads at Microsoft?

Padre, you're the best placed of all of us to do so, so why don't you jest mosey on down the road, kick down their front door and ask them?

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Daren't - 08/13/04 03:15 AM
why don't you jest mosey on down the road, kick down their front door and ask them?

My darling daughter dated a Softie for a time and I thought that would give me all sorts of access into the inner workings of the Brain Trust in nearby Redmond. Boy, was I wrong! Those people are more tight-lipped than the CIA.

Posted By: jheem Re: Daren't - 08/13/04 12:55 PM
daren't

My favorite form of dare is durst. Is there a form durstn't? There should be. Quite lovely. Why would anybody modify their speech based on the ravings of a prescriptivist (digital or human)?

Posted By: Jackie Re: Daren't - 08/13/04 01:57 PM
a Softie That's what they're called?? HA!

jheem, I think I've seen 'dursn't' in books, occasionally--usually where the characters' language is represented as colloquial. Hey--for some reason, my mind just flashed on Tom Sawyer. Anybody remember reading it there?

Posted By: jheem Re: Daren't - 08/13/04 02:09 PM
I think I've seen 'dursn't' in books, occasionally

According to Google, Dickens. Though, maybe dasn't for Tom and Huck.

"Oh! I durstn't do it," rejoined the small servant; "Miss Sally 'ud kill me, if she know'd I come up here."

But I think these forms are from the present "dares not", whereas durst is a preterite or past participial form of to dare.

I durst not go abroad == I dared not go abroad.

Posted By: Father Steve Employees of Microsoft - 08/13/04 11:28 PM
a Softie ... That's what they're called??

Yup, 'cause, if you called 'em "micros", nobody would know whatcha meant.

Posted By: jheem Re: Daren't - 08/14/04 12:01 AM
My darling daughter dated a Softie for a time

Funny, in the Valley we allus called 'em rat bastards.

Posted By: Rapunzel Re: Daren't - 08/14/04 07:28 PM
Pennsylvania Dutch people use dare and daren't quite often. I particularly like the way my very Dutchified grandparents use dare. For instance, Grandma might say to a small grandchild staring longingly at a dish of candy, "You dare take one!" This meaning, in essence, "Don't be shy, you're allowed to have one!"

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Daren't - 08/14/04 07:51 PM
Haven't heard much from Rapunzel in quite a while. The bookselling business must have been brisk and all-consuming.

Thanks for this insight into the sometimes-peculiar speech of the Pennsylvania Dutch.

Have you seen the new television program where the producers put some Amish kids and some California kids in the same house and watch them interact?

Posted By: musick Word stacker - 08/14/04 08:46 PM
...doesn't the U.S. versions of Word have dictionaries in a whole slew of languages like ours?

Only if you choose to install all/the foreign language supports when setting Word up ... not that anyone on this board wouldn't choose to do so by default... [embarassed-e]

Yes I "set Word up", I don't "set up Word", for the same reason I "take Word down", I don't "take down Word". Work with me here, Jackie...

Posted By: Rapunzel Re: Daren't - 08/14/04 11:16 PM
Have you seen the new television program where the producers put some Amish kids and some California kids in the same house and watch them interact?

I haven't-- don't go in for reality TV myself. Now, if the producers would put California kids on an Amish farm and make them live and work as the Amish do... that I might watch!

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Daren't - 08/15/04 12:00 AM
Here's the dish:

http://www.upn.com/shows/amish_in_the_city/

Posted By: Capfka Re: Daren't - 08/15/04 07:36 AM
I looked at this a few days ago. They're not Amish kids as such, they're ex-Amish kids. It's as bad (and similar to) Big Brother ...

Posted By: shanks Oi! - 08/15/04 10:33 AM
It's as bad (and similar to) Big Brother ...

Woss all this knocking of Big Bro?

This season was the best they ever had, and if the finale, in which a Portuguese transsexual found the social acceptance she wanted by winning 74% of the public vote, did not bring tears to your eyes, then you're a harder man than I am Capfka Din.

cheer

the sunshine "I love Big Brother" warrior

Posted By: Capfka Re: Oi! - 08/15/04 06:49 PM
Sad, Ravi, sad. The whole show brings tears to my eyes. It's soooooo bad.

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Oi! - 08/16/04 12:57 AM
Capfka has, of course, "got it" in the sense that reality TV now strives to be so bad that one is compelled to watch it ... like looking at the victims of an automobile accident or paying admission to see insane persons in an asylum or listening to Monica Lewinsky or paying attention to anything said by American politicians.

Posted By: clockworkchaos Re: Daren't - 08/16/04 11:48 AM
They aren't ex-Amish, they are supposedly going through Rumspringa, Amish adolescent rebellion--experimentation with the outside world. However, I thought only males were allowed to participate in that and there are some females on the promo.

Posted By: wordminstrel Re: Daren't - 08/16/04 12:01 PM
re daren't bounces back as a non-word

Reminds me of a ditty, Father Steve, which wouldn't work as well, or at all, if "daren't" were substituted for "dare not".

Fain would I but I dare not
I dare and yet I may not
I may and yet I care not
For pleasure when I play not.

Posted By: Rapunzel Re: Daren't - 08/16/04 12:18 PM
I thought only males were allowed to participate in that

Males and females both participate in rumspringa, which is a church-sanctioned time of "sowing your wild oats" before making the final decision of whether or not to join the Amish church.
Once a person is formally a member of the Amish church, participating in the kinds of activities that take place during rumspringa would probably cause him or her to be shunned.

Posted By: wordminstrel Re: Daren't - 08/16/04 01:05 PM
re "rumspringa" ... a church-sanctioned time of "sowing your wild oats" before making the final decision of whether or not to join the Amish church.

How many times do the undecided get to participate in "rumspringa", Rapunzel?

For some pilgrims on the road to enlightenment, the journey is the destination.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Rumspringa - 08/16/04 02:18 PM
Can someone cognate this out for me? I'm thinking rum = roam (or room?) and springa = spring (ie leap).

Posted By: jheem Re: Herumspringen - 08/16/04 02:31 PM
Can someone cognate this out for me?

I'm thinking rum for standard German herum 'about, around' and springa for springen 'to jump, hop, spring, gambol'. There is a verb herumspringen 'to bop around' in the dictionary, but I've never heard it used. Perhaps wsieber in der Schweiz can illuminate better.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Word stacker - 08/17/04 04:45 PM
I "take Word down" Hey--I never knew you were religious! {wink}

Posted By: musick Ay carumba! - 08/17/04 05:24 PM
... like looking at the victims of an automobile accident or paying admission to see insane persons in an asylum or listening to Monica Lewinsky or paying attention to anything said by American politicians.

Gee, there's a quartet I'd never thought I'd hear get together and play. They could call themselves "Deer and the Headlights"

© Wordsmith.org