Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Trouser Icy issue - need help... - 07/12/04 08:12 AM
Why do we say "defrost the sausages" and not "thaw/unfreeze the sausages"?

This, amazingly, is now driving me mad. Please, please help.

Trouser

ADDITIONAL:

Thanks for the poss answers - seems to be no absolute solution though - which i guess is always the way. It makes no sense, i tells you... Trouser [London]

Posted By: Faldage Re: Icy issue - need help... - 07/12/04 10:34 AM
Because that's what it says on the microwave button?

I think it used to be thaw back when we just left them out till they softened up. Seems like it might still be, mostly; I'll gots to listen. Where you from, Trouser?

And welcome to our private brand of lunacy.

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Icy issue - need help... - 07/12/04 03:17 PM
The reason for saying defrost goes back three hundred years, to Thaddeus, High Count of Baragarantria, who was the first person to consider the possibility of being revived after death. He and the seven Thaddeuses who followed him were all put on ice in the Baragarantrian Alps, high up between Switzerland and Italy.

Unfortunately, the climate changed and it became necessary for the peasants in Baragarantria to be put to work hauling in ice to keep the eight bodies more or less intact. This went on for some years until there was a revolution, the current Count was deposed, and the bodies on ice were left in the crypt.

A week or two later the first tourist, who quite by coincidence was the guy who invented the microwave, to return to Baragarantria asked about the terrible odor around the base of the castle. "Don't worry about it," he was told, "It's the thawed Thad Counts." So instead of thaw he put defrost on that button on the front of the microwave.

Bet you didn't know you can't thaw large soup containers in the microwave, since you can't see defrost for the tureens.

Posted By: musick Re: Icy issue - need help... - 07/12/04 04:25 PM
All one needs is TEd and the words "three hundred years".

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Icy issue - need help... - 07/12/04 06:02 PM
All one needs is TEd and the words "three hundred years".

Second prize: six hundred years.

Posted By: shanks Re: Icy issue - need help... - 07/12/04 06:13 PM
Us UKians say thaw. As in puddy-tat.

Posted By: Capfka Re: Icy issue - need help... - 07/12/04 07:07 PM
Well, in our house if it's left in the fridge or under cover to unthaw, we say "Defrost". If it's in the microwave, we say "nuke". Go figure.

Posted By: Zed Re: Icy issue - need help... - 07/12/04 07:17 PM
I never thought about it before but I say defrost for meat and thaw for other things even in the microwave. Except for icecream and ice cubes which melt and planes which de-ice (but never in the microwave).

Posted By: Faldage Re: Icy issue - need help... - 07/12/04 09:21 PM
Thinking about it I'd have to say we thaw steak, hamburger, and chicken. Sausages we just move straight from the freezer to cooking. They're small enough they don't take any special procedure. That's assuming they even make it to the freezer in the first place.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: and your little dog, too... - 07/12/04 09:24 PM
we used to have to defrost the freezer, but we always thaw things out, unless we're doing it in the microwave, then it's defrost...

Posted By: belMarduk Re: and your little dog, too... - 07/12/04 09:44 PM
The only time we ever use the word defrost is when you have to remove frost from something - like windows in a car. also when you eat just the frosting and throw away the cake, but that's another story

For the rest, it's thaw.

Posted By: amnow Re: Icy issue - need help... - 07/12/04 11:37 PM
There's that danged "d" in 'frigerator, again!

Posted By: wsieber Re: Icy issue - need help... - 07/13/04 04:30 AM
defrost must have been invented by a clever marketing wizard: It implies that you need to do something when in fact the thawing happens by itself: thaw can be used intransitively, whereas defrost cannot, as far as I know.

Posted By: Faldage Re: defrost - 07/13/04 10:28 AM
AHD4 lists both transitive and intransitive definitions: a freezer that defrosts automatically

http://www.bartleby.com/61/77/D0097700.html

Posted By: wow Re: Icy issue - need help... - 07/13/04 02:01 PM
Oh, good, Trouser ... you put a thought in my head where it is now like a tune I can't keep from running like a tape loop!
Welcome to our merry band.
Now, I use thaw when something takes a long time - like the frozen Butterball turkey at Thanksgiving - where it takes 24-38 hours in the fridge.
Defrost I tend to use when it takes just a short time like hamburger patties left in the fridge for a few hours or "nuked" if you're in a hurry - although I don't like to do that. I think it changes the flavor but that could just be me.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Icy issue - need help... - 07/13/04 02:40 PM
Thanks for the poss answers - seems to be no absolute solution though - which i guess is always the way. It makes no sense, i tells you...

Trouser, I hope we've at least helped to stem the madness tide. I empathize.

Posted By: clockworkchaos Re: Icy issue - need help... - 07/13/04 04:54 PM
I agree. Defrosting is artificially expediting the process of thawing.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Icy issue - need help... - 07/13/04 09:03 PM
artificially expediting the process of thawing

Does soaking in water count as "artificially expediting the process of thawing"?

Posted By: clockworkchaos Re: Icy issue - need help... - 07/14/04 12:44 PM
Well, crap. I dunno.

A watched frozen sausage never thaws...

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Icy issue - need help... - 07/14/04 12:54 PM
A watched frozen sausage never thaws...

just defrost it in the microwave...

Posted By: wow Re: Icy issue - need help... - 07/14/04 02:59 PM
Welcome clockworkchaos ! Nice to have someone around who agrees with me - at least once in awhile ;-)
Drop in whenever you have the time. But beware, you have stumbled into a site that can be addictive. Aloha.

Posted By: clockworkchaos Re: Icy issue - need help... - 07/14/04 03:25 PM
Thanks, wow. This is a lovely place you have here.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Icy issue - need help... - 07/15/04 01:56 AM
A general greeting and welcome to all of our recent newcomers; tickled to have you!

My thought is that defrost is like dial: it harks back to what had to be done in the past. Things in the freezer (including the freezer itself) got covered with frost and had to literally be defrosted; just as phones could only be dialed. Though we still use both words, the actuality of their meanings is getting harder and harder to find.

Posted By: jjj135 Re: Icy issue - need help... - 07/15/04 09:31 PM
Like Jackie I thought it might be a leftover from the days when refrigerators/freezers had a defrost cycle. Then I had my doubts and searched for +"frozen food" +tips +(defrost OR thaw) and scanning through the first 30 or so applicablle hits found the two words seldom appear in the same hit and there doesn't seem to be any pattern e.g. some say thaw in the microwave and others say defrost in the microwave. So, I returned to my first guess that "defrost" is an artifact of language that came with older appliances.

© Wordsmith.org