Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Bingley copulation - 01/28/01 11:50 AM
Now that I have your attention, I'd like to ask AWADers from around the world about this word. A poster in another place said: "My projects are a copulation of science and history". This led to some mildly ribald comments from other posters and the poster, who was a Canadian who had also spent some time in the UK, insisted that this was the first time his use of the word in this way as a synonym for mixture or combination had been thought out of the ordinary, suggesting that the problem stemmed from a US usage. When I then mentioned that I had never heard of the word except in the sexual sense, and the related word copulative as a grammatical term, well let's just say I received a most unAWADlike answer.

So what do AWADers think? Could you use the word copulation in a non-sexual sense? I did wonder if the poster was actually a francophone; any comments bel?

Bingley
Posted By: tsuwm Re: copulation - 01/28/01 02:29 PM
1. The action of coupling or linking two things together, or condition of being coupled; connexion, union. Obs.
1752 Johnson Rambler No. 194 310 Wit+is the unexpected copulation of ideas. 1752 H. Walpole Corr. (1837) I. 179 A pyramid which by a most unnatural copulaton is at once a grotto and a greenhouse.

b. Grammatical or logical connexion.

c. quasi-concr. A combination. Obs. rare.
1774 H. Walpole Let. Sir W. Hamilton 19 June, A new instrument+a copulation of a harpsicord and a violin.

2. spec. The union of the sexes in the act of generation. (Now chiefly a term of Zoology.)

[OED]

Posted By: wwh Re: copulation - 01/28/01 03:27 PM
My dictionary lists copulate, with sexual connotation as only definition. But I can remember when "intercourse" had not yet become restricted to same topic.

Posted By: Sparteye Re: copulation - 01/28/01 04:03 PM
Dictionary definitions aside, I have never heard anyone in the midwest of the US use "copulation" except with sexual connotations.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: copulation - 01/28/01 04:57 PM
no argument; note that defns 1a, 1c evidently weren't found after the 18th century and are marked obsolete, but the original meaning has been corrupted (a la decimate)!!

copulare [L] - to fasten together, link, couple
Posted By: wsieber Re: copulation - 01/29/01 07:16 AM
A poster in another place said: "My projects are a copulation of science and history". Now that I have your attention..
I have a strong suspicion that the "other poster" used the word with same intention as you did - I can barely believe in his/her candidness.
I'm irresistibly reminded of the '68 slogan: There is no revolution without copulation.

© Wordsmith.org