Wordsmith.org
Posted By: sjmaxq Explosive geezers?! - 05/12/04 08:17 AM
Here in NZ, we are blessed with geysers, but cursed by having people (most noticeably prisoners of Mother England) pronounce the word as in my subject line. The standard Zild pronunciation is Guy-zer, and the geezer pronunciation really grates. How say the rest of y'all?

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Explosive geezers?! - 05/12/04 09:12 AM
as in Zild.

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Explosive geezers?! - 05/12/04 11:21 AM
I'm a Geezer geezer, me self - and have NEVER heard it pronounced as GUY-ser - sometimes as GAY-ser, although that's uncommon over here.

Posted By: of troy Re: Explosive geezers?! - 05/12/04 11:26 AM
guy-zer it its, and all i have every heard..

i was expecting a odd story about some old fart, who did, and set off an explosion! Now that would have been an explosive geezer!

Posted By: Jackie Re: Explosive geezers?! - 05/12/04 01:18 PM

Darn you, Max--I got "no matches" for the third time, before I realized I had typed guyser; I remembered this:
http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=words&Number=44769

Posted By: Capfka Re: Explosive geezers?! - 05/12/04 08:29 PM
I'm a Geezer geezer, me self - and have NEVER heard it pronounced as GUY-ser - sometimes as GAY-ser, although that's uncommon over here.

Which rather neatly provides a sample towards confirming Max's original hypothesis ...

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Explosive geezers?! - 05/13/04 12:43 AM
definitely "guy-zer" pronunciation here too. Geezer is only used to refer to an slightly tattered and delapidated old guy (which you ain't Rhu!!!)

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Explosive geezers?! - 05/13/04 12:58 AM

geyser

In the usual British pronunciation "gey-" rhymes with key. A few people use the pronunciation [guy] for the 'hot spring' meaning. This is the usual pronunciation in the USA.

© From the Hutchinson Encyclopaedia.
Helicon Publishing LTD 2000

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Explosive geezers?! - 05/13/04 09:21 AM
'hot spring' meaning

is there another?

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Explosive geezers?! - 05/13/04 12:13 PM
Yes - cockney slang for "a male person" - hence I'm a Geezer geezer in my earlier post.

Also, it was the trade name (which became generic) for a gas-powered water-heater, popular over here in the 50s and 60s. A cognate name, of course, but different from a natural hot spring, nevertheless.

And, in all three cases, pronounced GEY-ser (to rhyme with KEY-)

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Explosive geezers?! - 05/13/04 12:36 PM
I knew about the geezer thang, I waz wondering about whether there was another meaning for geyser...
was the water heater written geyser, or geezer?

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Explosive geezers?! - 05/13/04 12:38 PM
geyser - it's only the slang term for person wot's writ "geezer"

Posted By: wow Re: Explosive geezers?! - 05/13/04 02:17 PM
I'm with BelM!

© Wordsmith.org