Wordsmith.org
Posted By: of troy Head's Up! - 04/07/04 04:40 PM
iam interested in words for headcovers..

hat
cap
bonnet
beret
tam (o'shanter) (and let's discuss how a tam is different than a beret)
beanie
and is a toque a cloché? and if not, why not?

there are more.. sent them in...

and does anyone know the name for the flat, pleated cap/hat that is used by the military?

(about 12 inches long, and 4 inches high, its made of cloth, and is sometimes carried on a soldier/offices belt, (there are pleats of fabric in the top, that open up when the cap is worn.) (i've seen the lawyers on the (US) TV show JAG wear them, but i always think of them as army hats, not navy hats...)

i am less interested in fancy millanary, more in simple hats, but hey, i don't really care if we veer off.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Head's Up! - 04/07/04 05:02 PM
If by tam (o'shanter) you mean balmoral then here's your difference:

http://www.tufftrading.com/products/caps/mvc-383f.gif

Posted By: jheem Re: Head's Up! - 04/07/04 05:06 PM
Some off the top of my head: czapka (usually worn by lanciers), Pickelhaube (spiked Prussian helmet), bearskin (tall furry black hats worn by all those Royal Guards units), porkpie, straw, boater, fore and aft, tricorn, Phrygian cap, Liberty cap, titfer (Cockney rhyming slang for hat, "tit fer tat"), peaked hat, fatigue cap, ski cap, busby (worn by hussars, with a kolpak 'bag' on top), s(c)hako, turbin, snap brim, and fedora. Hope that helps, of troy.

Posted By: maahey Re: Head's Up! - 04/07/04 05:50 PM
jheem,...phew!!

mitre, headscarf

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Head's Up! - 04/07/04 06:11 PM
Some off the top of my head

How many more you got up there, jheem?

Posted By: jheem Re: Head's Up! - 04/07/04 06:30 PM
Trying to remember: biretta, kippah (aka yarmulke), burnoose, what are the little pillbox hats that some Africans wear called? Goes with the daishiki. Beret, biretta, and burnoose are all ultimately from Late Latin birrus 'hooded cloak'. Deerstalker, baseball cap, stovepipe hat, sombrero, Stetson (a brand though used generically). Pant, gasp, that's it for now.

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Head's Up! - 04/07/04 06:47 PM
(and let's discuss how a tam is different than a beret)
A Tammie is difr'nt tae a berry cause it ha' a wee bit tawssie atop.

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Head's Up! - 04/07/04 06:52 PM
The covering for one's bonce, in my young days, at least, were known as:

me tile
me 'eadgear
me titfer (tit for tat + hat)

On a more formal note, one referred to:
a Trilby (soft felt hat)
A Homburg (VERY formal hat with a stiff brim)
Cap
A Bowler hat (what you USns would call a Derby)
A Top Hat (VERY, VERY Formal - for State Occasions, etc)

Posted By: Capfka Re: Head's Up! - 04/07/04 07:14 PM
what are the little pillbox hats that some Africans wear called?

Depends on the shape. Képi or fez. Tarboosh is another word for them. (Thank you, thank you, Edgar Wallace, fount of all African wisdom. Ha!)

Also snapbrim, fedora.
Posted By: belMarduk Re: Head's Up! - 04/07/04 08:12 PM
Tuque (winter headwear)
Helmet
Sombrero

And what is that thing that nuns wear on their heads. It has a specific name.

Oh, and we can't forget wig and toupee.

Posted By: Capfka Re: Head's Up! - 04/07/04 08:15 PM
Wimple?

Posted By: musick Re: Head's Up! - 04/07/04 09:48 PM
...and does anyone know the name for the flat, pleated cap/hat that is used by the military?

I don't know the name but I wore one while in the Boy Scouts. The Scoutmaster wore one we called a "Smokey" after "Smokey the Bear", more commonly known as a "campaign hat".

How about a "hood". (Well, it is headwear)

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Wimple - 04/07/04 10:46 PM
Yup, that's it Cap, thanks.

Posted By: inselpeter Re: Head's Up! - 04/08/04 01:05 AM
toupe, napkin, newspaper, wig, and wife.

Posted By: Bingley Re: Head's Up! - 04/08/04 04:22 AM
headgear, turban, veil, jilbab, tiara, crown

Bingley
Posted By: dxb Re: Head's Up! - 04/08/04 06:29 AM
Try this site for hat types. Just scroll down to "II Types of Hat". Exhaustive!

http://www.prof-dev.okcps.k12.ok.us/coreunits/4hats.htm

Edit:

Hmm. can't get that link to open on one click for some reason. But if you right click on it and then click 'open in new window', that works OK.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Head's Up! - 04/08/04 01:03 PM
Wow, dixbie, you hit the jackpot! (The link opened right up, for me--are you still having that trouble?) These were two of the things I learned:
*bonnet rouge: red cap worn during the French Revolution as a symbol of liberty.

*Phrygian cap: conical cap with the top bent forward, named for an ancient people of Asia Minor. It was worn as a symbol during the French Revolution and is now also known as the cap of liberty.

Helen, you should like Section C: Terms related to hat making.

--Hey, once again, I tricked the system without meaning to: I typed in {purple], but {/blue], and it did what I wanted it to.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Head's Up! - 04/08/04 01:19 PM
Phrygian cap: conical cap with the top bent forward

Would this type of fashion also be known as Phrygian mode?

sorry, Faldage

Posted By: wow Re: Head's Up! - 04/08/04 01:21 PM
flat, pleated cap/hat that is used by the military?
Always heard them as "fore-and-afts" or campaign caps.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Head's Up! - 04/08/04 01:27 PM
sorry, Faldage

Uh-huh

Posted By: Capfka Re: Head's Up! - 04/08/04 02:03 PM
Always heard them as "fore-and-afts" or campaign caps.

I know what servicemen call them. Can't be repeated here, but!

Posted By: Faldage Re: Head's Up! - 04/08/04 02:10 PM
What are we talking about here.

This:
http://www.aviation-antiques.com/images/6-18-l.JPG

or this:
http://na.fs.fed.us/spfo/ce/content/for_kids/smokey.gif

?

Posted By: nancyk Re: Head's Up! - 04/08/04 03:47 PM
The first, I think, Faldage. And, FWIW, I would call the first a cap and the second a hat - prob'ly has something to do with the presence or absence of a brim. Have no idea if that distinction really exists (and I'm TLTLIU), but in my mind...

Posted By: Faldage Re: Head's Up! - 04/08/04 03:53 PM
I would call the first a cap and the second a hat - prob'ly has something to do with the presence or absence of a brim

I suspect trying to work out what is a hat and what a cap would only result in a lot of idiolectal differences. Is it a baseball cap or a baseball hat?

Posted By: of troy Re: Head's Up! - 04/08/04 04:08 PM
thanks faldage..

the first link is the type hat i wanted a name for.. (in a PM some one explained the common name for the was a rude word for part of female anatomy (send me a PM if you can't figure it out)-- fore and aft is OK, but i think i will end up calling a hat i am making in the same style a
A Pleated Kitty.. (or perhaps an other cat nick name.)
(hint there about the common military name.. (think of a part of female anatomy that has a cat name.. and then think of the rudest, crudest name attached to that part of the anatomy)

the second link, is what i know to properly be called a campaign hat, but more commonly called a smokey.. (just as the state troopers, who often wear just such hats (NY state troopers do) are called 'Smokey(s)'-- (they patrol state (not interstate) highways, and NY has lots of them!)

but i have love all the names, and i love some of the alternate names for pill box type hats (i only know fez, which is a specific (well to me!) type of pill box hat.

i think, the difference between a beret and tam is the fabric/construction. . Berets are made from felted wool (knit to shape, and then felted,) and tam's are made from fabric cut into a circle, or shapped from wedges sewn into a circle, the underside of the hat is made with another fabric cut into a donut like shape. (with a slit for a drawsting to fit the hat)

tams might well have tufts/pompoms, but berets often have stems..(small bits that stick up from the center)

Posted By: Faldage Re: Head's Up! - 04/08/04 04:20 PM
That fore-and-aft is also called a garrison cap.

Posted By: Capfka Re: Head's Up! - 04/08/04 04:56 PM
What you call a smokey is called a lemon-squeezer in our part of the world. For obvious reasons.

Posted By: Bingley Re: Head's Up! - 04/14/04 04:07 AM
Have we mentioned bobble hat?

Bingley
Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Head's Up! - 04/14/04 07:45 PM
- and how about a balaclava?

Posted By: of troy Re: Head's Up! - 04/15/04 03:21 PM
thanks everybody-- the list is great!

© Wordsmith.org