Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu I wish I may, I wish I might... - 03/27/04 04:07 PM
I came across this at comics.com:
If you love this comic, you may like these.
now, as a middle school teacher, I have often used the old "can I go to the bathroom?" "I don't know, can you?" response. so when I saw the aforementioned phrase, I thought, they're giving me permission to like these other comics. how nice.
I think that I would have used might rather than may. what say this band of collegial peoples?

Posted By: Faldage Re: I wish I may, I wish I might... - 03/27/04 04:44 PM
Not the question you asked, but:

In my callow yoot, I was frequently taken to task for asking "Can I…" and told the correct word to use was "may" in that context. These same prescribers (the ones we learned English from in the first place), in their own speech, would use "can" in this context. The only time I heard the "proper" word being used was in the game we called "Mother May I".

Posted By: inselpeter Re: I wish I may, I wish I might... - 03/27/04 05:07 PM
Well, I use it that way. "Are you going?" "I may."

and

\May\, v. [imp. Might] [AS. pres. m[ae]g I am able, pret. meahte, mihte; akin to D. mogen, G. m["o]gen, OHG. mugan, magan, Icel. mega, Goth. magan, Russ. moche. ?. Cf. Dismay, Main strength, Might. The old imp. mought is obsolete, except as a provincial word.] An auxiliary verb qualifyng the meaning of another verb, by expressing: (a) Ability, competency, or possibility; -- now oftener expressed by can.

Posted By: belMarduk Re: I wish I may, I wish I might... - 03/27/04 05:13 PM
I would have used the word might rather than may but as a matter of personal choice. I couldn't give you the proper grammatical rule for it.

Posted By: musick I wish they'd just stop... - 03/27/04 05:23 PM
...now oftener expressed by can.

If I may.... blecchh, p-tewie... ralphfff

It oftener leaves a bad taste in my ear.

Posted By: wow Re: I wish I may, I wish I might... - 03/27/04 07:15 PM
Might I go sounds a bit affected to my ear, or as pals across the pond might say, a bit twee to Merican ear'oles.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: I wish I may, I wish I might... - 03/27/04 07:43 PM
The good folks at American Heritage® remind us that may indicates a slightly stronger likelihood than might, but to me these here modals might could be pert near interchangeable.

http://www.bartleby.com/64/C001/034.html

Posted By: wwh Re: I wish they'd just stop... - 03/27/04 07:47 PM
Star light, star bright,
First star I see tonight,
I wish I may, I wish I might,
Have the wish I wish tonight!

© Wordsmith.org