Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Shi2p2e A Word With Equal Accents - 03/24/00 09:36 PM
About twenty years ago, on his night time talk show, Dick Cavett mused that there was only one two-syllable word in the English language that had an equal accent on both syllables. He went on to say that he couldn't remember what it was. Does anyone else know?

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: A Word With Equal Accents - 03/25/00 02:49 AM
?

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: A Word With Equal Accents - 03/25/00 02:52 AM
hmmm... I think I know, but my word didn't come through, probably because it is profane.

Posted By: lusy Re: A Word With Equal Accents - 03/25/00 07:31 AM
How about "Sushi"? Well, it must be English by now, surely?

Posted By: Philip Davis Re: A Word With Equal Accents - 04/03/00 12:24 PM
The droppings of the male bovine animal fits the bill

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: A Word With Equal Accents - 04/03/00 09:38 PM
Thank you, Philip! That was the word that came to my mind, but I didn't think to euphemize it. :-)

Posted By: Philip Davis Re: A Word With Equal Accents - 04/03/00 10:32 PM
I loathe a great many euphemisms, partly because they are often silly and partly because they are closely linked with class in the UK, with the none euphemistic, straight forward and honest terms being associated with the working classes. (ie Loo; toilet; shithouse). Since the none euphemistic terms are usually germanic and the euphemisms french it can be seen this class differentiation goes book to the Norman conquest.
However if you are compelled to use euphemisms it is important to do so with some wit.
By the way, where I live, in Birmingham UK, all words are pronounced with equal emphasis on all syllables!

Posted By: wsieber Re: A Word With Equal Accents - 04/04/00 11:53 AM
Well, I am not a native English speaker, but what about "aardvark" and "moonlight"?

Posted By: jmh Re: A Word With Equal Accents - 04/04/00 12:07 PM
On the other hand I love euphemisms. I'm particularly fascinated by words that really are very far off the mark.

I was asked by a desperate American for a bathroom and spent ages trying to think where she could go for a bath in Central London. In the end she only wanted to find a place to go for a rest (rest-room), so I suggested she lie down on the chairs in the railway station. If she had have only said she wanted to "powder her nose" I'm sure I could have helped her much quicker!

Posted By: jmh Re: A Word With Equal Accents - 04/04/00 12:09 PM
Phillip

I see what you mean - the word Birmingham has three syllables with equal emphasis.

© Wordsmith.org