Wordsmith.org
Posted By: JosieWales "Snatch" language - 01/24/01 05:05 PM
The movie "Snatch" is recently released in these United States. I am wondering about the dialect that Brad Pitt et al use in the film that is nearly unintelligible. It is described as a cross between Irish and English. Pitt delivers several lines that mean absolutely nothing... Does this language exist in our realm? Is it spoken by gypsies?

Posted By: wwh Re: "Snatch" language - 01/24/01 08:03 PM
Not surprising, since so many movies in toto mean nothimg.

Posted By: Faldage Re: "Snatch" language - 01/24/01 08:16 PM
From what little I know, it's supposed to be a gypsy dialect and therefore intentionally incomprehensible. Also from what little I know (a scene from the movie run in a radio review) the Brad Pitt character is apparently trying to scam somebody anyway.

The preceding conclusions have been drawn from totally inadequate data; no responsibility is assumed by the dispenser of these conclusions for any problems deriving from the use of these conclusions.

Posted By: belMarduk Re: "Snatch" language - 01/24/01 08:25 PM
Now, there's standing up for your viewpoint Faldage

Josie, are you an outlaw??

Oh, and F.Y.I. all, Snatch in French Québec is definitely not a name you want plastered all over the place on movie marquees. It is a slang term for, well, a ladies, hmmm, um, nether region .

Posted By: tsuwm Re: nether and thrall - 01/24/01 08:51 PM
here too -- why do you think Hollywood chose the title? (those boys are nothing, if not subtle)

Posted By: wwh Re: "Snatch" language - 01/24/01 11:07 PM
I didn't dare mention the old "vice versa" joke.

© Wordsmith.org