Wordsmith.org
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill asap gestation - 03/19/04 10:10 PM
More and more frequently I've been hearing the acronym, ASAP, being vocalized as a new whole word, a-sap, especially in the media...another case of an acronym emerging from a phrase (as soon as possible) to become an acronym, and then a new word in its own right...is there a name for this singular linguistic process, specific to the transition of an acronym into a word? (tsuwm?) How many other acronyms can we find that have become new words following this process? (i.e. AWOL)

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: asap gestation - 03/19/04 10:15 PM
radar
quasar
laser

There's a hattrick to kick it off.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: asap gestation - 03/19/04 11:26 PM
by definition, strictly speaking, an acronym IS a pronounceable word formed from (usually) the initial letters of words. when it is pronounced as the letters, it's called an initialism. (using non-initial letters really results in portmanteau words.)

Wikipedia has a fair gloss: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acronym

some more examples:
scuba
aids
and from the military, SNAFU, FUBAR, etc.

[I'm sure this must be YART material :) ]
Posted By: Father Steve Re: asap gestation - 03/20/04 12:15 AM
"vin" = vehicle identification number.

I hear it pronounced on radio ads for auto sales all the time.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: asap gestation - 03/20/04 12:36 AM
pronounced on radio ads

I know this nitpick is a rehash, but vin is usually said as part of the phrase "vin number...

Posted By: Father Steve Re: asap gestation - 03/20/04 12:48 AM
It is not too nitpicky for me! It drives me bonkers when people say "VIN number" or "PIN number" ... but, then again, I am a prescriptivist and our lot is destined to suffer such pains.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Prescriptivist - 03/20/04 02:36 PM
A prescriptivist is just a descriptivist who is describing a limited (and often obsolete) subset of the language.

;)

Posted By: jheem Re: Prescriptivist - 03/20/04 02:47 PM
A prescriptivist is just a descriptivist who is describing a limited (and often obsolete) subset of the language.

Or sometimes just an imaginary dialect.

Posted By: jheem Re: asap gestation - 03/20/04 02:50 PM
It drives me bonkers when people say "VIN number" or "PIN number"

I just pretend they're saying "VINumber" and "PINumber" and leave the driving to Ralph Cramden. How 'bout folks wot sez "FB of I"?

Posted By: Father Steve Re: asap gestation - 03/20/04 03:22 PM
How 'bout folks wot sez "FB of I"?

There used to be a bank in Tacoma called the National Bank of Commerce. My dad referred to it as the "NB of C" which he claimed to distinguish it from the National Broadcasting Company. I didn't see the necessity for the distinction as one would as rarely say "I am going to apply for a loan from the National Broadcasting Company" as "I think I'll tune in to the National Bank of Commerce to listen to the ball game."

Posted By: of troy Re: asap gestation - 03/20/04 04:56 PM
How 'bout folks wot sez "FB of I"?

did you mean to say the feebee's? F B I or even FB of I is so yesterday.. they are the feds, or specifically, the feebees.

Posted By: Father Steve Re: asap gestation - 03/20/04 08:52 PM
Years ago, I worked on a case with the Auto-Theft Section of the Washington State Patrol. Our case involved the transporation of stolen vehicles across state lines. This meant that the FBI became involved. The state-trooper detectives did not think highly of the FBI agents and referred to them, behind their backs as the "Fan Belt Inspectors."

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: asap gestation - 03/24/04 03:26 AM
I'm sure this must be YART material :)

Sure it's a yartichoke®, tsuwm...but, you know, some folks consider yartichoke a delicacy.

Posted By: grapho Fan Belt Inspectors - 03/24/04 07:36 AM
The state-trooper detectives did not think highly of the FBI agents and referred to them, behind their backs as the "Fan Belt Inspectors."

No-one likes anyone invading their turf, Father Steve.

It seems to be a "natural reaction" to outsiders, whatever their level of competence.

It's a staple of every cop movie including the one now playing with Angelina Jolie in the title role*, an FBI agent who picks up all the clues the local guys keep missing.

I'm sure the "Fan Belt Inspectors" just went about their business solving the crime ... just like Angelina Jolie.

*"Taking Lives"
Synopsis: When Montreal detectives ask for an outsider's help to get inside the head of a cunning serial killer, top FBI profiler Illeana Scott (Angelina Jolie) joins the case.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/feature/takinglives.html

I think the Montreal cops are being a bit pig-headed myself. I'd love to have Angelina Jolie on my squad, even if she was only a "Fan Belt Inspector".

The "Fan Belt Inspection Patrol" would become every inspector's favorite duty. That's what I suspect.

Posted By: wow Re: asap gestation - 03/24/04 02:27 PM
---and some police officers are wont to call the feds who intrude into their jurisdiction as "The F'nBI."
And some pilots have been heard to call the Federal Aviation Administration "The F'nAA."
Not that I would ever use those phrases!
(running to hide behind a very big rock -e)

Posted By: Capfka Re: asap gestation - 03/24/04 08:31 PM
No, not much, Ann ...

Posted By: musick Scriptivism - 03/25/04 12:06 AM
These two could use a thread of thier own, but hey, why tramp all over precious *real estate.

Or sometimes just an imaginary dialect.

Then one can't be one without the other and we should just call all of us "rescriptivists", which is, Shirley, the intention of both... er... all.

Posted By: jheem Re: Scriptivism - 03/25/04 12:20 AM
Remember, your script is only good at the AWAD Company Store.

Posted By: grapho Re: Scriptivism - 03/26/04 05:33 PM
Remember, your script is only good at the AWAD Company Store.

His script deserves better company ... present company excluded, of course.

Posted By: raju Re: asap gestation - 03/26/04 10:04 PM
you could say the acronym was "naturalized" into the language.

How about radared, lasered, or better still...pinned?

Posted By: grapho Re: asap gestation - 03/26/04 10:14 PM
the acronym was "naturalized" into the language

Very nice, raju.

© Wordsmith.org