Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Wordwind O Oddity - 02/23/04 11:42 PM
Why pharaoh and not pharoah?

"Usage: often capitalized
Etymology: Middle English pharao, from Old English, from Late Latin pharaon-, pharao, from Greek pharaO, "[MW]

Are there any other O words spelled with 'aoh'?

Not at this time.
:)

Posted By: inselpeter Re: O Oddity - 02/24/04 05:09 AM
>>O words spelled with ao<<

From Wordnet, Princeton U. (Sorry, I can't give a url, I got it from Mac Sherlock using the dictionary channel. There is a good deal more, there. If anyone's interested, I can post it or PM it.):

The name is a compound, as some think, of the words Ra, the "sun" or "sun-god," and the article phe, "the," prefixed; hence phera, "the sun," or "the sun-god." But others, perhaps more correctly, think the name derived from Perao, "the great house" = his majesty = in Turkish, "the Sublime Porte."

If it's a compound, the 'a' would have been pronounced. Unfortunately, I don't know how to spell Paraoh in Hebrew (!) but I wouldn't be surprised if there were an alef of an ayin there, which might also have been pronounced as a gutteral 'ah'.

Posted By: jheem Re: O Oddity - 02/24/04 05:32 AM
Since Egyptian pr‘ meant 'palace' originally lit. 'great house', it's unlikely that it meant 'the sun'. Pharaoh in Hebrew is par‘oh.

Posted By: Jenet Re: O Oddity - 02/24/04 06:49 AM
It's written with two phonetic signs, one for pr and the other for '3, which mean simply house and great. You can't get the sun/god name r' out of it, because those two consonants belong to different halves of the compound.

© Wordsmith.org