Wordsmith.org
Posted By: sjmaxq a(n) NZ website? - 02/19/04 03:40 AM
I just used the phrase "an NZ site" in another forum, and it occurred to me to ask, would y'all do the same? Or would you use "a NZ"? If I wrote the name out in full, I would definitely say "a New Zealand", but since I say "enzed", I write "an NZ"? How about the rest of you?

Posted By: inselpeter Re: a(n) NZ website? - 02/19/04 04:12 AM
I would write "an" but, in general, I see "a". It drives me nuts.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: a(n) NZ website? - 02/19/04 10:10 AM
Yep. The N sound begins with a vowel, so I'd use "an."

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: a(n) NZ website? - 02/19/04 10:16 AM
yeah, I'd write "an" enzee...

Posted By: Jenet Re: a(n) NZ website? - 02/19/04 11:58 AM
An Enzed, so an NZ definitely.

Posted By: Faldage Re: a(n) NZ website? - 02/19/04 01:45 PM
Sometimes, when proofing a technical paper, I'll see an abbreviation that could be an acronym or an initialism, but, not having heard it in speech, I don't know which. Sometimes it will make a difference in the indefinite article, e.g., a(n) HID.

Posted By: maahey Re: a(n) NZ website? - 02/19/04 06:20 PM
am with the, An-Enzedders

Posted By: jheem Re: a(n) NZ website? - 02/20/04 02:52 AM
Yeah, I'd say "an en-zee". Whenever I write SQL, I have to wonder about the indefinite article. Is it pronounced es-queue-ell or sequel?

Posted By: Sparteye SQL - 02/20/04 07:15 PM
Around here, SQL is always pronounced "sequel."

Posted By: jheem Re: SQL - 02/20/04 07:31 PM
Around here

That's the problem with anaphora. Where's here? On the boards? Always is a rough sort of word. After I left Oracle, folks teased me about my pronuciation of SQL. Never got over it. Shy boy I. Aye?

Posted By: inselpeter Anaphora - 02/20/04 07:47 PM
What a lovely word! ('Webster's' also gives 'epanaphora').

Er, but I don't think I see one in the thread. Clue me in? At any rate, it wouldn't be here on the board -- no one's speaking.

Posted By: jheem Re: Anaphora - 02/20/04 08:02 PM
Oh, well, I think of adverbs like here, there, and yonder as being so tightly coupled with the grammatical category of person (i.e., here by me, there by you, and yonder by her) that I chose anaphora when, perhaps, I should have typed deixis. Caught me out; keep up the good work. I just meant that it's hard to determine what here refered to in the sentence. Besides epanaphora, there's also cataphora.

Posted By: Capfka Re: SQL - 02/22/04 07:40 AM
In NZ, the usual IT usage is "S-Q-L". In Britain, it's "Sequel". Took me a while to adapt, particularly since I am using PL/SQL - Oracle. Ber-loody data warehouses!

And, BTW, I would say "a NZ", because I think of it as "a New Zealand" even though I may have abbreviated the words in writing ...

© Wordsmith.org