Wordsmith.org
Posted By: doc_comfort Been done before - 01/18/01 11:06 PM
Hi folks, Just a couple of quick questions, all sparked by the link that brought me here in the first place. Words with all the vowels in alphabetical order. The one I regularly use when asked is facetious, but I'm sure there must be more. How many are there, and what are they? The big question though, words with vowels used in reverse alphabetical order. I am yet to find one, more through lack of trying than any actual lack of such a word. Can anyone help?

Posted By: Marty Re: Been done before - 01/19/01 02:07 AM
Welcome Doc,

This link http://home.xnet.com/~eo/word.html which I posted recently under forum Weekly Themes, thread "This week's theme: yours to discover" has this to say:

The shortest word with the vowels in alphabetical order is CAESIOUS (light blue), with eight letters. Slightly longer such words are ACHEILOUS, ACHEIROUS, AEROBIOUS, ARSENIOUS, ARTERIOUS, AUTECIOUS, and FACETIOUS. Pierre Abbat says ACEITOU (Portuguese for past tense of to accept) and ALEIJOU (Portuguese for past tense of paralyze) are the shortest words he knows in any language written in the Roman alphabet which have all five vowels in order. PANCREATICODUODENOSTOMY is the longest word with all six vowels in order.

whilst from http://alabanza.com/kabacoff/Inter-Links/fun/puzzles/language we get:
shortest [word with] vowels in reverse order muroidea
longest [word with] vowels in reverse order subcontinental

Posted By: wow Re: Been done before - 01/19/01 03:17 PM
Check out header "Is dentist in,huh?" in this very Q&A section.
Welcome to the board Doc.
Now, can you tell me about about this ache...
wow

Posted By: Faldage Re: Been done before - 01/19/01 03:31 PM
The docile doc_c asks: Words with all the vowels in alphabetical order...How many are there, and what are they?

In a language that has, at least in some possibly non-mathematical sense and theoretically, an infinite number of words, this is both an easy (there are an infinite number) and impossible (where to begin or where to end?) question to answer.

© Wordsmith.org