Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Chickie Today's word "wain" brings to mind... - 01/17/01 07:46 PM
the painting by Constable entitled "The Haywain". One of my favorites.

"Adversity is the whetstone of creativity"
Chicke mentioned the painting by Constable entitled "The Haywain". One of my favorites.

I have never heard the word "wain" used on its own. The only way I recognised it was from "The Haywain" - one of my favourites, also.

In one of the funnier parts of "Bored of the Rings", Harvard Lampoon's much-abbreviated spoof on "Lord of the Rings", a sign is up on a bridge outside Rivendell which said (from memory):

"Pedestrians: 1/2d
Horses and riders: 1d
Haywains: 1 1/2d
Black Riders: 40 gold pieces"

Posted By: Chickie Re: Today's word "wain" brings to mind... - 01/17/01 11:42 PM
Of course, then there's Elmer Fudd who would wear a waincoat out in the wain while riding in a wain.

"Adversity is the whetstone of creativity"
Posted By: NicholasW Re: Today's word "wain" brings to mind... - 01/18/01 09:30 AM
> I have never heard the word "wain" used on its own.

In isolation, Charles's Wain, also known as the Plough, the Great Bear, the Big Dipper, and probably quite a few others. I know I should call it the Plough but I always say Charles's Wain.

In compound: a wainwright. (And does Tolkien use Wainrider somewhere? Who were they... some warlike tribe from Rhun?)

Posted By: jmh Re: Today's word "wain" brings to mind... - 01/18/01 09:41 AM
>does Tolkien use Wainrider somewhere? Who were they... some warlike tribe from Rhun?)

Spot on:
http://home.swipnet.se/~w-70531/Tolkien/wainrider/main.htm

Posted By: Jackie Re: Today's word "wain" brings to mind... - 01/18/01 03:22 PM
Hey, Nicholas, welcome back, Honey! Missed you.

I didn't get the wain AWAD, though I got today's: woof.
Is anybody else having oddities in transmissions?

I love today's quote:
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling
exception, is composed of others. -John Andrew Holmes

© Wordsmith.org