Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Faldage Calling all Latinescos - 01/27/04 08:34 PM
What declension is mater?

Posted By: jheem Re: Calling all Latinescos - 01/27/04 09:02 PM
Mater, matris, is a feminine third declension noun. I hesitated for a second because I thought this might be a trick question, but what the heck ...

Posted By: wwh Re: Calling all Latinescos - 01/27/04 09:37 PM
Mater,matris reminded me of "matriculate", as to become enrolled in a college that becomes your "alma mater."
I was surprised to find that the derivation is not as direct as I thought. Matrix is ancient word for womb, currently for a list. So matriculating is just getting your
name on a list. Nothing parental except the big bills for
papa to pay.

Posted By: hibernicus Re: Calling all Latinescos - 01/27/04 10:20 PM
a college that becomes your "alma mater."

which is to say, your foster mother or wet nurse. And after suckling at the breast of knowledge, you become an alumnus/alumna - foster child.

Posted By: jheem Re: Calling all Latinescos - 01/27/04 11:00 PM
which is to say, your foster mother or wet nurse. And after suckling at the breast of knowledge, you become an alumnus/alumna - foster child

Alumnus and alma are both from the PIE root *al- 'to nourish' which gives us English old, as well as Latin adultus and adolescens.

http://www.bartleby.com/61/roots/IE11.html

Posted By: wwh Re: Calling all Latinescos - 01/27/04 11:32 PM
But "prolix" didn't fit where I thought it might.
prolix

SYLLABICATION: pro·lix
PRONUNCIATION: pr-lks, prlks
ADJECTIVE: 1. Tediously prolonged; wordy: editing a prolix manuscript. 2. Tending to speak or write at excessive length. See synonyms at wordy.
ETYMOLOGY: Middle English, from Old French prolixe, from Latin prlixus, poured forth, extended.
OTHER FORMS: pro·lixi·ty (-lks-t) —NOUN
pro·lixly —ADVERB

Posted By: hibernicus Re: Calling all Latinescos - 01/28/04 12:50 AM
*al- 'to nourish' which gives us English old, as well as Latin adultus

And adulter?

Posted By: jheem Re: Calling all Latinescos - 01/28/04 02:29 AM
Adulter is supposed to be from the same root as Latin ulter 'opposite' and ille 'that' (from Old Latin ollus, *ol-no-s), olim 'once'; Old Irish oll 'big, extensive, broad'.

Posted By: hibernicus Re: Calling all Latinescos - 01/28/04 10:32 PM
Wow, that root is all over the place in terms of meaning. "Oll-" is still used in Irish as a modifying prefix: "ollscoil" - "university", "ollmhargadh" - "supermarket".

Anyhow, interesting to learn that adults and adulterers have nothing in common!

Posted By: Capfka Re: Calling all Latinescos - 01/29/04 09:05 AM
Except that you would hope (devoutly) that all adulterers are adults.

I thought I'd posted the answer to Faldo's original query shortly after he'd posted it, but for some reason it didn't stick. I agree that it's 3rdD Fem, but, like jheem, I assumed it was a trick question.

So ... Faldo, whyinole didn't you just look it up? [goofy smiley emoticon-type emoticon]

whyinole didn't you just look it up

perhaps he has an ulterior motive?

Posted By: Faldage Re: Confiteor - 01/29/04 11:21 AM
It wasn't a trick question. The reason I didn't look it up was that I was at work and the onliest Latin references I know on the web assume you already know the declension. The reason I asked was for an answer to the question, 'What is the plural of alma mater?' By the time I got the answer to my question, the answer, 'almae matres,' had already been posted in the original forum.

© Wordsmith.org