Wordsmith.org
Posted By: juanmaria Visions - 01/11/01 06:22 PM
When our imagination makes us see something that is not real we speak of a “vision”.
But, if we hear something that does not exist?. We definitely don’t have an “audition”.
I know a medical word in Spanish “acúfeno” but this is not the word I’m looking for. This word is for buzzes or ticks that can be heard as a result of some pathology. I’m looking for a word that describes the hearing of a ghostly voice or music.

Juan Maria.
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Visions - 01/11/01 06:31 PM
>But, if we hear something that does not exist?. We definitely don’t have an “audition”.

I generally just refer to them as "the guys hwo tell me what to do and when to load my guns."

Posted By: Faldage Re: Visions - 01/11/01 06:40 PM
juanmaria pregunta: When our imagination makes us see something that is not real we speak of a “vision”. But, if we hear something that does not exist?

Don't know a specific single word for it; we usually just speak of "hearing voices".

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Visions - 01/11/01 07:04 PM
"hearing voices" is a type of "auditory hallucination" -- I don't think there's a single word for it, but.

Posted By: Avy Re: Visions - 01/12/01 05:02 AM
> I’m looking for a word that describes the hearing of a ghostly voice or music.

Chants have that other world quality though they are not hallucinatory or ghostly - maybe invoke hallucinations or ghosts.

I was wondering what makes a chant a chant?
Is it only the intonation or does it prescribe to certain rules of poetry?
Does it necessarily have certain rhyme scheme and number of basic lines that are then repeated?

Posted By: of troy Re: Visions - 01/12/01 02:28 PM
In reply to:

I was wondering what makes a chant a chant?
Does it necessarily have certain rhyme scheme and number of basic lines that are then repeated?

I am not one much for music -- what with, i lack the ability to carry a tune even in a bucket-- but some chants, Gregorian chant- does follow rules, so many syllables on one note, and then depending on end of sentence or something- one note higher or lower-
I was taught the rules.. but i don't think the music teacher could have gotten them to in my head with anything less than trepanation--and even that would not have been effective. Someone here might know, or you could LIU-- there are i am sure other types of chant besides Gregorian (or why else would it be modified?) but i can't think of any by name.

Posted By: maverick Re: Visions - 01/12/01 02:37 PM
to carry a tune even in a bucket

You little beauty! What a great turn of phrase - I shall steal this.

Posted By: wow Re: carry a tune - 01/12/01 03:05 PM
Poster: maverick
Subject: Re: Visions
to carry a tune even in a bucket
You little beauty! What a great turn of phrase - I shall steal this.

Dear Helen of Troy,
You must have been listening to my Dad!
He delivered a song with great bravura but his voice was so off-key Mother used to say he "couldn't carry a tune in a covered bucket."
Dad countered with "If you can't sing good, sing loud!"
He used to try to sing us to sleep with his favorite lullaby "Go to sleep my little Buckeroo"
Thanks for reminding me of some happy childhood memories.
wow

Posted By: Solamente, Doug. Re: carry a tune - 01/12/01 03:43 PM
There's a great story of a priest admonishing his flock about their lack of enthusiasm while singing hymns. He told them that for those blessed with good voices, this was their chance to praise God. For those unblessed, it was their chance to get back at Him.

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: Visions - 01/12/01 03:55 PM
What makes a chant a chant?
What we commonly call "chants" are generically referred to as "plainchants"; Gregorian chants are a specific type of plainchant, those written strictly according to the rules laid down by Pope Gregory the Great, as subsequently modified at various times. Plainchants differ from other music in that a) they are written to be sung unaccompanied, or a capella -- there are no instrumental chants; b) their text is always a religious text and in Latin (always, up to the Reformation, still sometimes in Latin thereafter); c) they do not have a set time signature, like 3/4, 4/4 -- there are rules for part of a verse, but a large part may be sung on one note as long as necessary to fit the text into the musical tune; d) they are not written in the keys which we are familiar with, but they may be in one of the Grecian modes. There are various other rules, such as that the range of the tune never extends as far as an octave, and the technical rules for the construction of a chant tune.

In addition to plainchants, there are also Anglican chants, peculiar to Anglican churches, which are a harmonic form of chant, based on plainchant tunes, which are written in the standard keys and which generally have organ accompaniment.

Some of the great works of Western music have developed out of chants. Many of the chorale preludes of the North German composers, as well as J.S. Bach and his contemporaries, are based on hymn tunes which are themselves derived from ancient chants, like Allein Gott in der Höh' sei Ehr and Vater Unser in Himmelreich.

Posted By: of troy Re: carry a tune - 01/12/01 04:08 PM
Thank mav, but like WOW-- it was a phrase of my father's, not mine--so feel free to use it!
and WOW--what do you think something the irish use-- since your varient is very close?

not being able to carry a tune was not my only failing-- I also couldn't hit the broad side of barn(this was the comment that came after i was asked to "toss something" and missed the target.)

i also suffer from elbow disease--every time i flex my elbow-- my mouth opens and something goes in. try that one on your kids at dinner time-- and watch them try to eat dinner with out flexing (bending) and elbow--

if the food was good, and i dilligently scraped the plate clean--my da would look over at the plate/bowl and point to the plain china and state--"there used to be flowers on this china" We still say of good food that someone ate down to the flowers on the plate

slews of other in the same vain-- some complimenary-- some sound so rude--my sisters (unlike myself) tend to have "hourglass" figures--(more like dolly parton really--but not as thin) but they never got told that- what they got told was they were shaped like a sack of potatoes tied in the middle-- especially if they gained a little weight and got a bit "hippy"... -- with knobby bits sticking out, every which way!
and like every good irish person everywhere- if you ask me a Yes or No question, the answer is likely to be yes and no!

Posted By: Bingley Re: chant - 01/16/01 05:13 AM
For more information, see:

http://www.music.princeton.edu/chant_html/

Bingley
Posted By: wow Re: chant on CD - 01/16/01 03:38 PM
A couple of years ago, Angel Records -- appropriately -- issued "CHANT" a CD of Gregorian chant sung by the Benedictine Monks of Santo Domingo de Silos. It is still available.
Very calming and beautiful.
Do not suggest playing it while driving motor vehicle, though. It's a bit TOO relaxing for that!
wow

Posted By: Jackie Re: chant - 01/16/01 04:23 PM
Bob--a very deep bow of reverence to your knowledge, sir,
and thank you for sharing it.

Bingley--what a great link! Wow, thank you! There is so much here. I chose the info. on searching the internet,
and there's really cool stuff. One of them is something
like info. for Big Dummies on the Internet, a spot that sounds perfect for me.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: chant - 01/16/01 06:22 PM
Now, just repeat after me: "Om padme hum, om padme hum, ...".

Or, as AEnigma will have it, "Omaha pads hum". Anybody here from Nebraska? I'd like confirmation of AEnigma's sagacity, thanks.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: chant on CD - 01/16/01 08:33 PM
This is not chant, but it does seem to be an excellent, and beautiful,demonstration of the voice as instrument:
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/maxq/Vocalise-Rachmaninoff.rm For those of us fuddy duddies who like to be able to discern the words, the absence of any in this piece can be viewed as liberating.

P.S. This piece is not streaming media, so for those of you stuck with a 56k dial-up like I am, there will be around 11 minutes of silence while it downloads, before it starts playing. I still think it's worth it.

Posted By: Chickie Hearing things that aren't there... - 01/17/01 03:03 AM
Perhaps "conscience" would be the word? For some of us, it speaks very loudly!

"Adversity is the whetstone of creativity"
Posted By: Fiberbabe Re: Chanting - 01/17/01 05:54 PM
In reply to:

...other types of chant besides Gregorian...

I spent 6 months in Korea teaching English, and my favorite moments were spent in Buddhist monasteries, listening to their daily prayers, which can only be described as chants.

Fits nicely with Bob's three definition points of a chant, too.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Chanting - 01/17/01 06:00 PM
Fiberbabe comments: I spent 6 months in Korea teaching English, and my favorite moments were spent in Buddhist monasteries, listening to their daily prayers, which can only be described as chants.

My wife's cousin teaches English in Korea, and her favourite moments are drinking with the Yanks at the local airbase. I think the mantra there is "Another beer, please!"

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: Chanting - 01/17/01 06:34 PM
In reply to:

My wife's cousin teaches English in Korea, and her favourite moments are drinking with the Yanks at the local airbase. I think the mantra there is "Another beer, please!"

Disgraceful! For such an appalling lack of appreciation for the spiritual, you can go and sit in the infidels' corner, with shanks!

Posted By: Jackie Re: Chanting - 01/18/01 01:46 AM
sit in the infidels' corner, with shanks

Now hold on just a cotton-pickin' minute, there! If somebody calls my sweet shanks an infidel, it had better be for a darned-good reason! [warning glower emoticon]
'Sides, if those two are anywhere together, why, I think I'll just mosey on over and join 'em!

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: Chanting - 01/18/01 01:53 AM
But, but, but, it's such a great word, and it's so catholic - everybody's an infidel to somebody! Or would you rather I open a diner and call it the "Allahu Snackbar"?

Posted By: Jackie Re: Chanting - 01/18/01 02:27 AM
But, but, but, it's such a great word, and it's so catholic - everybody's an infidel to somebody! Or would you rather I open a diner and call it the "Allahu Snackbar"?

No, it ain't! Just about anybody who was over the age of
five in the 1960's U.S. will tell you that that's entirely too close to Fidel, the dreaded Hydra of nearby Cuba.

And, uh, Allah who?

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: Chanting - 01/18/01 02:50 AM
In reply to:

to Fidel, the dreaded Hydra of nearby Cuba.

Ah yes, Cuba. Like Vietnam, Cuba committed the unforgiveable sin. She embarrassed the United States, a crime for which she must be punished until the end of time, or at least until Cuba is once again run by La Cosa Nostra as it was in the good old days of Bautista. Still, you've inspired me wih a great Christmas gift idea - a humidor full of the finest Havanas for Jesse Helms.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Chanting - 01/18/01 07:49 AM
S'okay. Dubya will probably send Castro poisoned chocolates for Christmas so that he can say he "got somethin' in Fidel".

I'll go grovelling with shanks any day!

Posted By: jmh Re: Chanting - 01/18/01 08:04 AM
>Fidel, the dreaded Hydra of nearby Cuba

Funny how people see things differently. Many people that I know tend to associate Cuba with good rum and those rather fetching red and black Che Guevara poster that we all used to have on our walls when we were students.

Posted By: doc_comfort Re: Visions - 01/19/01 12:00 AM
Being quasi-medically trained, this question has me quite vexed. If such a word was to exist, I imagine it would be an aurition. I think that auditory hallucinations tends to be the term that is used most often. Just to confuse the issue, if you experience an aurition due to a visual (or any non-auditory stimuli) that would be an example of synaesthesia.

Posted By: wsieber Re: Visions - 01/19/01 06:45 AM
..see something that is not real we speak of a “vision”.
If I remember the story correctly, the vision of Jeanne d'Arc was accompanied by voices. I don't think the meaning of the word is restricted to the visual domain. In today's "industrial" use it includes just about anything that is not (yet) real.

© Wordsmith.org