Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Slackbladder Signage - 01/08/01 01:20 AM
I have heard the word "Signage" used from time to time to refer to the signs on or in a building or shop etc. I can't find it in any dictionary. Is it a correct word? I have also heard it used in a plural form which sounds awful: "Signages". Can it have a plural?

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Signage - 01/08/01 01:38 AM
Hi Slackbladder (love the monicker).

For a full and frank discussion of this very topic, I suggest you click on: http://wordsmith.org/board/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=words&Number=12202&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5. Many lurid and convoluted posts about -age and all its misuses can be found there for your delectation!

Cheers

Posted By: Solamente, Doug. Re: Signage - 01/08/01 01:39 AM
In the graphic design profession, signage refers to a system of signs, hopefully consistent within certain design and information parameters, though not always so. I constantly find myself muttering, "bad design, bad design" when stumbling around a hospital or airport looking for a specific room or area.
Don't know about "signages," but the sound of it makes me cringe a bit. Signage systems, maybe?

Posted By: Slackbladder Re: Signage - 01/08/01 01:57 AM
Thanks for the info.

(The Moniker, sadly, is related to "age" too (:!)

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: Signage - 01/08/01 02:07 AM
In reply to:

Thanks for the info.

(The Moniker, sadly, is related to "age" too (:!)

Lucky for you. If you ever visit a certain province in the South Island of New Zealand, your moniker could get you publicly stoned for blaspheming a local deity, would you not agree CapK?

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Signage - 01/08/01 02:37 AM
Dunno, Max. Blasphemy works in two directions, and after the last test in Bordeaux ... well, even Cantabrians must have their limits when it comes to unreasoning adulation.

© Wordsmith.org