Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Nitaplease Word definition - 01/01/01 03:00 AM
I'm looking for the definition of TYPNADA. Any help will be appreciated.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Word definition - 01/01/01 04:42 AM
Welcome to the board, Nitaplease. Interesting handle!

None of my usual sources turned up anything on "typnada". Could you give me some context?

Our resident wordfinder, tsuwm, will definitely be on to this as soon as he sees it, so all is not lost!

Cheers

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Word definition - 01/01/01 06:49 AM
in the words of Hemingway, who in all liklihood lifted it from somewhere else... "He knew it all was nada y pues nada y nada y pues nada. Our nada who art in nada, nada be thy name."

joe (nothing, nichts, nada, niente, rien) friday

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Word definition - 01/01/01 08:02 AM
Soooo...you don't know, then, tsuwm? Well, perhaps Nitaplease will give us some context! Happy New Year.

Our resident spellchecker has this to say about this post:

Soooo...you [soot] don't know, then, tsuwm? [tub] Well, perhaps Nitaplease [nitric] will give us some context!

Hokay, tub, maybe we can help nitric out.

Posted By: Nitaplease Re: Word definition - 01/01/01 04:32 PM
The gentleman who gave me the word query believed it to be of Seneca Iroquois derivation. He found the word on a land marker on a farm he purchased in Southwestern New York (around the Portville, NY area), but has never been able to find anyone who could give him its meaning. My husband is Seneca, and didn't recognize the word. Thanks for your help.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Word definition - 01/01/01 11:29 PM
Given what you say, it could be a (badly) misspelled word of almost any origin. It could even be a surname, I guess, if it's a boundary marker. SW NY certainly rules out any connection with Spanish. How about Dutch? As you say, there could also be an Iriquois connection.

Good luck with your hunt and stick around!

Posted By: NicholasW Re: Word definition - 01/02/01 12:12 PM
There's a website for Mingo (almost = Seneca) language matters at http://www.speech.cs.cmu.edu/egads/seneca/, including a mailing list where you might be able to pursue this. But all Iroquoian languages seem to lack the letter P, so that doesn't look hopeful.

Posted By: mfa Post deleted by mfa - 01/02/01 01:11 PM
Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: Word definition - 01/02/01 02:45 PM
aside: Nada is a girl's name, a type of yoga and a band!

Maybe I'm going out on a limb here,...
'Typ' is type (i.e. sort), in a couple of languages (e.g. German)
and 'nada' is used in various languages as nothing or none ... so maybe it meant
'typ:nada' or type:none
That seems a tad too elaborate though.
I'd hazard a guess it's just naming-scheme.

Posted By: mfa Post deleted by mfa - 01/03/01 12:47 PM
Posted By: tsuwm wha? - 01/03/01 02:18 PM
mfa... well... you are surely manifesting yet another way to speak/write...english.

-joe (color me bemused) friday
Posted By: xara Re: Word definition - 01/03/01 03:27 PM
>>>King with a K in her middle. Her boyfriend, Larry, joined the Navy thinking he'd be safer, but he wound
up on the Mekong in one of those
nifty boats, and in our Yearbook, In Memoriam. My 3
Ks plus one are Kenneth Rexroth, Maurice (give me 3)
Kenny, and Ken Kesey... ...mfa...<<<

all i can say is: huh?

Posted By: mfa Post deleted by mfa - 01/04/01 02:52 PM
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Word definition - 01/04/01 02:58 PM
mfa... oh... you have certainly obnubilated things with *that post.

-joe (the shadow knows) friday

Posted By: mfa Post deleted by mfa - 01/04/01 03:00 PM
Posted By: tsuwm Re: wha? - 01/04/01 03:13 PM
mfa malversates: Was that "mal" at the close of one of your notes or replies? The print gets blurry. Would you
like me to think or speak or refer to you as "Joe Friday?" Got to have some certitude in the matter.

it may be deemed malapropos to speak thusly, but I find your muzzy, malapert postings perplexing; and I cast a malediction, a malison even, in your general direction!

-ron (two mals) obvious

© Wordsmith.org