Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Jackie Received, or: don't trust everything you read - 11/19/03 02:11 PM
I was flabbergasted to see what Gurunet has for received: re·ceived (rĭ-sçvd')
adj.
Having been accepted as true or worthy: “Received political wisdom says not. Surveys show otherwise” (Economist).
This is the sum total of what they have. Now, I have the free version, and many times I've seen a definition trail off into the sunset (well, the ether, I guess), with the niggling little reminder that if I want to buy the full version, I would have access to a million factoids, blah blah blah. But that wasn't the case with received. I really think this is all they have. Their main def.'s come from AHD, 4th. ed. Surely other dictionaries have more than this??

This would be over and above the meaning normally associated with the past tense of receive, for which no separate entry should be required.

To me "received wisdom" is a cliché for "what is commonly believed". An ellipsis for "the wisdom we received from our parents" or something like that.

I agree with Faldage and Dr Bill. There's also the example "received English," which is what the Brits call (correct me if I'm wrong, cross-ponders) standard English.

>Received English

I learned the phrase as "Received Pronunciation", aka, "the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha's English."

with the past tense of receive, for which no separate entry should be required.
Yeah but.. in Jackie's quotation it says adj., so this meaning is probably the (only) one that made the transition from a participle to an adjective.

Yes, sjmaxq is right -"Received Pronunciation" - commonly abbrev.'d to RP - is what we now call "BBC" english (or, indeed, the even older style noted by max.)

It is also going out of fashion over here, and regional accents, old and new, are being valued as a "precious heritage" (or something of that sort!)

© Wordsmith.org