Wordsmith.org
Posted By: gift horse "Excuse my French"? - 11/18/03 02:29 AM
(Uh oh, another French post by gift horse).

I went out with a friend yesterday and noticed that each time she cursed she said, "Excuse my French". Aside from being slightly annoyed, I started to wonder, where did this saying come from? Is it my imagination that it seems a derogatory statement -- however indirectly -- towards the French? I've heard it numerous times, but didn't know its history. The saying seemed particularly ironic since many of the words my friend was apologizing for don't seem to have French origins. I did a little search in google and found this:

http://answers.google.com/answers/main?cmd=threadview&id=232360

Do any of you know if these answers are accurate?

Posted By: tsuwm pardon my French - 11/18/03 02:58 AM
plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose..

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: "Excuse my French"? - 11/18/03 04:22 AM
My take on this is that the speaker is implying that [s]he is saying something in a language other than the usual English and makes a faux apology the same as one might do who dropped a Latin or Greek phrase into a casual conversation. Why French? I think it's an arbitrary choice because it's the most likely to be a second language for English speakers. I have never had the impression that there was any derogatory implication towards France, the French, their mores or their language. I could be wrong.

Posted By: wsieber Re: "Excuse my French"? - 11/18/03 01:29 PM
I have never had the impression that there was any derogatory implication towards France On the surface, there certainly was - but probably weighed up by that certain secret envy.

Posted By: wwh Re: "Excuse my French"? - 11/18/03 01:39 PM
Here's a site about "excuse my French":
http://answers.google.com/answers/main?cmd=threadview&id=232360

Posted By: wow Re: "Excuse my French"? - 11/18/03 02:33 PM
More often I have heard the phrase "pardon the language" when one slips a naughty word into conversation. Haven't heard the French connection for yonks years.

Posted By: gift horse Re: pardon my French - 11/18/03 02:38 PM
plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose..

Oui! Some people party like it's 1899.

Posted By: dxb Re: pardon my French - 11/18/03 03:00 PM
1899 - Ahhh! "La Belle Epoque", quand le plaisir régnait!

Posted By: rav Re: "Excuse my French"? - 11/20/03 07:28 PM
In Poland, we say "Excuse my Latin"

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: "Excuse my Latin" - 11/20/03 07:48 PM
rav!

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: "Excuse my French"? - 11/21/03 11:51 AM
excuse my Latin

- which resonates with byb's response - I, also, had always taken the same take (if you see what I mean!)

And nice to see you back again, rav!
Posted By: Zed Re: "Excuse my French"? - 11/24/03 11:45 PM
Interesting that most people say "excuse my French" after using "Anglo-Saxon" words. A hold over from when vulger language and swear words came from the Anglo-saxon lower class not the Normon/FRench upper class.

Posted By: Capfka Re: "Excuse my French"? - 11/25/03 10:05 PM
Oh, I doubt the expression is that old. You probably only need to go back to the Napoleonic Wars (or any other time - or any time - when the English have decided to hold the French up as an example of all that is execrable ...)

Posted By: Zed Re: "Excuse my French"? - 11/26/03 12:07 AM
But most of the curse-words are that old.

Posted By: gift horse Re: "Excuse my French"? - 11/30/03 03:30 PM
But most of the curse-words are that old.

But are most curse-words really of Anglo-Saxon origin? I'm only asking because I'm too lazy to look all of them up in my book of Etymology.

Posted By: rav Re: "Excuse my French"? - 11/30/03 06:57 PM
You probably only need to go back to the Napoleonic Wars (or any other time - or any time - when the English have decided to hold the French up as an example of all that is execrable ...)

Then how you'll explain that expression with 'Latin'? I may also add that we call it "kitchen Latin" or "backyard Latin" - these are strict translations from Polish, but I also saw such English expression: "dog Latin". Well, it can't be SO old

Posted By: shanks Re: "Excuse my French"? - 12/01/03 03:52 PM
Hi Giftie, and all,

I'm currently skimming through The English: A Protrait of a People, by Jeremy Paxman, and discovered some of the many negative terms associated with 'French' (leave, kisses, drive [in cricket], and so on), but, beautifully, some French retaliation as well. Most delicious is les Anglais ont débarqué for menstruation. Which, with all that I've been smoking, gives rise to a

[fantasia]

Of French origin, but affecting a neatly Puritan outlook, young Paul Revere is in an agony of anxiety, fearful that his dreadful secret will come out and he will be ostracised, or worse, by his community.

Then, his mistress tells him the good news, and already driven half-crazy by fear, he snaps, and announces his delight to the world, running through the streets of Lexington and Concord, ringing out the wild bells and screaming his ecstasy - except he does it in his adopted language, English, translating it literally and unwittingly kick-starting the United States of America.

[/fantasia]

cheer

the sunshine warrior

Posted By: gift horse Bravo - 12/01/03 04:29 PM
Either you have the most creative mind on earth, or I need to start smoking what you're smoking. Perhaps bother are true. Well done at any rate.

Posted By: Jackie Re: "Excuse my French"? - 12/01/03 04:51 PM
Ok--now I get it. Funny! les Anglais ont débarqué = The British have landed.

Posted By: shanks My Ron Obvious moment - 12/01/03 05:42 PM
Just to top and tail it - I presume the phrase arose because of the British Redcoats....

Posted By: Zed Re: My Ron Obvious moment - 12/01/03 08:07 PM
You're both twisted. But funny!

Posted By: shanks Re: Bravo - 12/01/03 08:22 PM
You smoke what I smoke and they'll take away your voting privileges - this is Jeb's state we're talking about, right?

Posted By: gift horse Re: Bravo - 12/01/03 08:45 PM
You smoke what I smoke and they'll take away your voting privileges - this is Jeb's state we're talking about, right?

Good point.
Oh well, I already smoke figuratively at any rate.

Smokin' Giftie

Posted By: shanks Re: Bravo - 12/02/03 03:08 PM
I already smoke figuratively

And you get what: a metaphorical high? or tied in picturesque knots?

chuckle

the sunshine warrior

Posted By: gift horse Re: Bravo - 12/02/03 04:29 PM
...or tied in picturesque knots?

Would I be tied up or down?

© Wordsmith.org