Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Wordwind Feedback. - 10/25/03 02:05 AM
What's the problem with this word? Regurgitation?

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Feedback. - 10/25/03 02:08 AM
it keeps coming back on you?

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Feedback. - 10/25/03 02:58 AM
Nobody much "gurgitates", so it makes little sense to say that a person re-gurgitates, when they haven't gurgitated in the first place.

PS: This is my six hundreth post on AWAD since arriving here a little over 37 months ago. Might we have the smallest (but nonetheless sincere) fanfare, please?

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Feedback. - 10/25/03 03:02 AM
HA. Do you realize this is the only place in the world where we'd like a little fanfare when we become an addict?

Congrats FS.

Posted By: Capfka Re: Regurgitation - 10/25/03 04:43 AM
I'd comment on this, but something keeps coming up.

Ta-daaaaa! Welcome to your addicthood, padre. You are now eligible to join Wordaholicals Synonymous. We meet online and before you can fully join the group, you have to admit "I'm a wordaholical!". Only then can you get it really bad ...

Posted By: Bingley Re: Feedback. - 10/25/03 06:08 AM
Congratulations Father. Perhaps you could design a special service of prayer and thanksgiving for these important milestones.

Bingley
Posted By: Father Steve Re: Feedback. - 10/25/03 06:52 AM
I can see it now:

~The Missa Etymologica.
~Rosaries with the letters of the alphabet engraved on the beads.
~A Litany for Logophiles.
~Versicles for Verbivores.
~The Supplication of the Sesquipedalians.

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: Feedback. - 10/25/03 07:04 AM
>Might we have the smallest (but nonetheless sincere) fanfare, please?

Well done, well done indeed. Tell me, though, is there is an ethical dilemma attached to a priest/judge who has an addiction problem?

Posted By: Faldage Re: Feedback. - 10/25/03 11:44 AM
We got the word wholesale from the Medieval Latins and they gurgitated up a storm whenever they felt like it. Incidentally, the re- in this word is not acting in its role as a repeater but as an intensifier.

http://www.bartleby.com/61/88/R0128800.html

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Feedback. - 10/25/03 12:19 PM
You mean, if you're gonna gurgitate, then you better gurgitate intensely?

(Congratulations on your attainment of addict status, FS.)

Posted By: maahey Re: Feedback. - 10/25/03 12:50 PM
Faldage, I didn't quite get the intensifier part. Since we got the word wholesale, the re is not an English prefix. The word's meaning has changed from just overflow or engulf to include a definite implication of reversal of the direction of flow. It means flow backwards which the Latin doesn't not. Maybe it should have been antiregurgitate?
^5, Father!
Posted By: consuelo Welcome to the Ballroom, Padre - 10/25/03 01:50 PM
http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=medicine&Number=49209
Just regurgitating a bit of fun from my pastMay I have this dance? Congratulations, FS

You mean, if you're gonna gurgitate, then you better gurgitate intensely?
Honestly, WW, is there any other way?
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Feedback. - 10/25/03 02:11 PM
I sort of get the intensifier part. It's kinda like the re in "refried beans"; doesn't mean they've been fried twice but that they've been fried, er, intensely. I think.

And yes, Father Steve, it's comforting somehow to have you now irrevocably in our midst.

Posted By: maahey Re: Feedback. - 10/25/03 02:40 PM
but that they've been fried, er, intensely. I think.

Yes but, in this case, you are not overflowing intensely because you got the word wholesale from Latin, and also there is the component of backward flow.

Posted By: of troy Re: Feedback. - 10/25/03 04:25 PM
Yes but, in this case, you are not overflowing intensely because you got the word wholesale from Latin, and also there is the component of backward flow.

HUH?
i know, on those occations that i have regurgated i have had a backward flow of food--going from my stomach to my mouth..(and included stomach acids, and other bodily fluids..Yuck!) and i am Yes, overflowing intensely--the cramps and contractions of the muscles involved are very intense!

of course i realize the word is sometimes use for 'learning' instead of the more common use in referring (or semi politely refering)to what in slang has 1000 or so terms,(blow donots, praying at the shrine of the porceline goddess,etc) and what the good doctors here might refer to as emesis (well, at least that what they call the little kidney shaped bowl they provide you with.. an emesis basin(and jump right in and correct me if i have spelt it wrong!))

and even regurgatated learning is something that seems to flow backwards rather intensely, and it has just as unpleasant after taste!

Posted By: wwh Re: Feedback. - 10/25/03 04:41 PM
Feedback is a very old term in electronics. I learned it nearly seventy years ago, when a microphone was placed close enough to the speakers that hum from the speakers was fed back to the microphone, and rapidly built up a very unpleasant loud noise from the speakers.

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Feedback. - 10/25/03 05:41 PM
is there is an ethical dilemma attached to a priest/judge who has an addiction problem?

For those who pay real attention to such concerns, life is a constant ethical problem.

Posted By: Capfka Re: Feedback. - 10/27/03 11:10 AM
Does that make people who don't pay attention inethical or just disethical?

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Feedback. - 10/27/03 01:38 PM
People who don't pay attention to ethical issues are living part, but not all, of their lives.

Posted By: AndrewsGhost Re: Feedback. - 10/28/03 10:17 AM
In reply to:

What's the problem with this word? Regurgitation?

It's capitalized. Unless it is a proper noun, or at the beginning of a sentence, it shouldn't be. Despite the word being followed immediately by a question mark, I don't think it's a proper sentence. Is it?

If anybody names their kid this, I think that would bring up the ethical issues thread. I don't know of any landmarks, cities, or other proper nouns named this... does anybody else?

Congrats FS!

Posted By: Jackie Re: Feedback. - 10/31/03 01:31 AM
Congratulations, Father Steve, on becoming an addict.
And oh man, you-all are killin' me! I laughed out loud at Nobody much "gurgitates" , and again at Do you realize this is the only place in the world where we'd like a little fanfare when we become an addict? , and even louder at I'd comment on this, but something keeps coming up.

What I want to know is this: what do we do with the words we get retail?

Posted By: of troy Re: Feedback. - 10/31/03 12:45 PM
What I want to know is this: what do we do with the words we get retail?

RETAIL?--you're still getting words retail? i think everyone here has gone on to getting them wholesale, (tsuwm has a web site for distributing them, wholesale, he'll a bon a vide dealer in words.) and goodness knows, most of use here have on occations gone into production and distributions of words.. (even if not as a scale as grand as shakespear or dickens, or some other well know producers.)

retail? Jackie, its a NYC mantra, 'NEVER BUY RETAIL'!

Posted By: Jackie Re: Feedback. - 10/31/03 01:16 PM
HA!

Don't fret, Bill, at least you tried. If you hadn't posted, I would have.

Amplifier hum is an example of "positive feedback," which increases the output, multiplying it until it becomes unbearable "amplifier screech". Other systems can have negative feedback, and they tend to stabilize over time.

© Wordsmith.org