Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Father Steve 'roids - 10/19/03 03:11 AM
When I tuned in the ESPN website this evening, to see to it that they had properly recorded the glorious WSU Cougar football victory over the Cardinal of Stanford, I was greeted by an interesting headline: "NFL to test for new 'roid"

Now, I understand that the headline writer had in mind that we would all understand his/her reference to a steroid, not previously screened, which will now be detected in tests of the players. But, where I come from, a "'roid" is a hemorrhoid ... and nothing else.

Posted By: Capfka Re: 'roids - 10/19/03 05:51 AM
Dunno FS. You may have the writer's intent ass-backward!

Posted By: Faldage Re: 'roids - 10/19/03 03:39 PM
My initial guess, based only on the Subject:, was it was short for android.

Posted By: maahey Re: 'roids - 10/19/03 05:57 PM
Well, there is 'Roid Rage'. Nice play on words there, Faldage - android-androgenic steroid.

Posted By: Father Steve Re: 'roids - 10/19/03 06:10 PM
Is an android who lives either at the extreme north or the extreme south part of the Earth a "polaroid"?

Posted By: maahey Re: 'roids - 10/19/03 06:38 PM
(sob!)

Posted By: Alex Williams Re: 'roids - 10/19/03 09:45 PM
Polaroids are a real pain in the ice.

Posted By: of troy Re: 'roids - 10/19/03 10:49 PM
and soliniods are a painful condition that develop on motors that are strained... or have been forces to sit around to long doing nothing..

Posted By: belMarduk Re: 'roids - 10/20/03 12:45 AM
I'm with you on this one FS. 'roids here stand for only the one thing. HOWEVER, we can't very well grumble at their use of it to mean steroids since, well, they're both abbreviations. Pot calling the kettle black and all that there Grandma wisdom.

Posted By: Jackie Re: 'roids - 10/20/03 01:28 AM
I understand that the headline writer had in mind that we would all understand his/her reference to a steroid I reckon it's kind of an age-culture thing: if we were all young athletes or were close to one, I wonder if we'd even have done double-takes.

Posted By: Father Steve Re: 'roids - 10/20/03 02:34 AM
...if we were all young athletes...

You mean we're NOT all young athletes?

Posted By: Jackie Re: 'roids - 10/20/03 12:00 PM
Hey--check the mirror, Dude!

Posted By: Capfka Re: 'roids - 10/20/03 07:34 PM
"Mirror, mirror, on the wall ... who's the wrinkliest old fart of all?" Now, lemme see ...

Posted By: maverick Re: 'roids - 10/20/03 08:51 PM
wrinkliest old fart

Actresses swear that android cream helps to hide their fundamental timelines...

Posted By: Zed Re: 'roids - 10/20/03 11:13 PM
Is android cream what you get from using a milking machine instead of doing it by hand?

Posted By: belMarduk Re: 'roids - 10/23/03 01:54 AM
I've heard about that too Mav, but I can't imagine how they walk about with that smell creating a medicinal cloud around their heads.

Maybe the lines look smaller because nobody wants to get up close to them.

Posted By: Capfka Re: 'roids - 10/23/03 06:16 AM
He said "fundamental", bel. I don't think "clouds" are an issue ... rather in the other direction, doncha know?

Posted By: belMarduk Re: 'roids - 10/23/03 02:28 PM
Hmmm, I see. I had heard it was the lines around the eyes.

However, on your other point... I don't think "clouds" are an issue ... rather in the other direction, doncha know?

...if'n I'm to judge by Hubby, there be definitely clouds emanating from them fundamental regions without a (rather smelly) doubt

© Wordsmith.org