Wordsmith.org
Posted By: stales Translation Please - 09/03/03 03:37 AM
We're looking to putting up a motivational banner in our workshop and have settled upon "Check and Test!"

One small thing but; we want to have it written in Latin! Best we can come up with is "Sistere et Experior". How'd we go? Have we forgotten to subjugate a verb or something?

[BTW - couldn't find any decent free/don't-have-to-download Latin-English phrase translators on the web. Anybody recommend one?]

stales

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: Translation Please - 09/03/03 04:15 AM
Stales, if you know the Latin verb you need, you can conjugate it, here: http://www.verbix.com/languages/latin.shtml If not, you're SOL.

Actually, you might be able to use that site in conjunction with this one: http://catholic.archives.nd.edu/cgi-bin/lookdown.pl

Posted By: consuelo Re: Translation Please - 09/03/03 04:19 AM
*snicker* I think good ole Stalesy has figured out a way to visit us on company time for a day or two at least Good on yer, mate!

Posted By: stales Re: Translation Please - 09/03/03 05:50 AM
sjm - appreciate your assistance, but you have overestimated my ability with any language - including english! When I mentioned "conjugating a verb", I was merely quoting Python - the famous city square scene in Life of Brian!! ("Romans, they go the 'ouse?????????????")

I'm flat out knowing a verb from an adjective in english let alone the difference between subjugation and conjugation in Latin!!

stales

Posted By: Faldage Re: Translation Please - 09/03/03 11:06 AM
If you're married to sisto, -ere the form would be sistite, but I wouldn't go with that verb. It seems to mean check in the sense of stopping something's advance. I think you want a word that means examine. Perhaps investigo, -are. The proper form would be investigate. The experior is OK for word choice but you want to say experiri

Thus:

INVESTIGATE ET EXPERIRI

or, if you want to sound a little sexier:

INVESTIGATE EXPERIRIQUE

If you don't like what looks like an English word stuck in there you could use inquiro, -ere and say

INQUIRETE EXPERIRIQUE

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Translation Please - 09/03/03 01:05 PM
Why are there no ETs in the latter two phrases? Inquiring dilettantes want to know.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Translation Please - 09/03/03 01:18 PM
Why are there no ETs in the latter two phrases? Well, Latin is an alien tongue...

Posted By: Faldage Re: No ETs - 09/03/03 02:24 PM
Two ways of anding in Latin. The common one is x et y. The other is x yque. In the latter form the emphasis goes on on the syllable before the -que irregardless of where it goes in the normal word. It's my understanding that the -que form requires that the two words being anded be absolutely parallel in type and form, in this case, two verbs in the plural imperative. That is if experiri counts as plural. Things seem to be a little different with deponent verbs, i.e., verbs active in meaning but passive in form.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: No ETs - 09/03/03 02:43 PM
Aha! Thanks for the lesson, Faldage.

(Jackie, your pun makes me not miss TEd quite so much.... )

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: No ETs - 09/03/03 07:43 PM
me not miss TEd quite so much

you'd think he could at least phone home once in awhile...

Posted By: Faldage Re: No ETs - 09/03/03 07:50 PM
phone home

¿Qué?

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: ET - 09/03/03 07:55 PM
That's OK, eta. *I got it.

Posted By: Faldage Re: ET - 09/03/03 08:01 PM
*I got it

Are you suggesting I didn't?

Posted By: stales Re: Translation Please - 09/04/03 12:12 AM
Thanks Faldage.

I learned something today - so today is a good day!

stales

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: ET - 09/04/03 12:21 AM
Are you suggesting I didn't?

in light of your verbaceaous reply, yes.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: ET - 09/04/03 09:17 AM
eta, he later explained to me that he'd sort of made a kind of wordplay in Latin. We shall wreak revenge upon him, ¿yes?

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: ET - 09/04/03 09:26 AM
ah, yes. now I see it. the whole "que" "et" ending thing. sometimes I think I should just get outta the sandbox with all these big kids...

but yes, we'll at least wreak some havoque...

© Wordsmith.org