Wordsmith.org
Posted By: vbq cynamatic effects - 08/25/03 03:08 AM
Maureen Dowd's column in today's NY Times contains this extract:

Mr. Kerry, a Boston Democrat, had thought about announcing in front of a warship, wrote The Boston Globe's Glen Johnson, but felt the need for something bigger, to stage a more chesty confrontation with Mr. Bush. ... So the issue is illusion: can Senator Kerry match President Bush's ability to appropriate an aircraft carrier as a political prop?

Is there a word or phrase to describe the manipulation of background in a camera pose to make a subliminal statement?

Public figures will go to extraordinary lengths to select, and even edit, the scenery in a photo opp. For instance, it has also been reported that Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld had the naked breast of a female bronze draped for a photo opp recently because he didn't want to be photographed in front of another "boob". I didn't make this up, honest.

Some might argue that Arnold Schwarzenegger's candidacy for Governor of California is the ultimate expression of this cinematic art. "Electaprop"?

Posted By: Jackie Re: cynamatic effects - 08/25/03 10:40 AM
Is their a word or phrase to describe the manipulation of background
Setting the stage is all I can think of. Also, I don't recall seeing/hearing the phrase "chesty confrontation" before, either, and I don't think I like it.
Oh--why cynamatic, please?

Posted By: Bingley Re: cynamatic effects - 08/25/03 11:16 AM
Blend of cinematic and cynical maybe?

Bingley
Posted By: Faldage Re: cynamatic effects - 08/25/03 12:32 PM
cinematic and cynical

Once I figured that out I decided I liked the term but I had to go through cyan to get there.

Of course the ulitmate in cynamatic would be to pose with your cute little puppy dog.

Posted By: wow Re: cynamatic effects - 08/25/03 04:11 PM
cyan - a printer's color - a sort of greenish blue!
President Bush's ability to appropriate an aircraft carrier as a political prop?

Arrrgggghhh!© This really got my Irish up! To take the courage, commitment and valor of those sailors and airmen/women and subliminally suggest you have the same. And for the Commander in Chief to ignore the cost in the time of the military and taxpayer's money to tie up an aircraft carrier for heaven's sake for political "spin!"!
And the ship was just off shore (I believe San Diego) and cameras were positioned so that the land didn't show so it looked like the ship was at sea! The President's ride in the helicopter was p'rolly ten minutes!
I repeat Arrrgggghhh!©
Posted By: maverick Re: cynamatic effects - 08/25/03 09:38 PM
cinematic and cynical

I'd like to suggest the addition of emetic to the mix:

ADJECTIVE: Causing vomiting.
NOUN: An agent that causes vomiting.
ETYMOLOGY: Late Latin emeticos, from Greek emetikos, from emetos, vomiting, from emein, to vomit. See wem - in Appendix I.

http://www.bartleby.com/61/10/E0111000.html

Thus the compounded neologism becomes:

cynemetic
The cynical use of film trickery for nauseating political gain.

Posted By: Zed Re: cynamatic effects - 08/25/03 11:46 PM
cynemetic

Well done mav. Too bad this particular disease is so widespread!
I don't like "chesty confrontation" either, especially after the comment about not getting his picture taken in front of another "boob", although it begs the question - who does he usually get his picture taken in front of.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: cynamatic effects - 08/26/03 12:18 AM
who does he usually get his picture taken in front of.

W

Posted By: maverick Re: cynamatic effects - 08/26/03 12:31 AM
W

A hit, accomplis tit :)

Posted By: dxb Re: cynamatic effects - 08/26/03 04:41 PM
"Chesty confrontation" - one of the martial arts characterised by aggressive coughing. Also known as Thoraxing, the sport's popular but hard to make out logo shows the Norse god of war wielding a battle axe in dense smoke.

Posted By: Capfka Re: cynamatic effects - 08/26/03 05:54 PM
Bush looked as if the carrier was about to run him down. Was there a subliminal message inside the sublime message?

Posted By: vbq Re: cynamatic effects - 08/28/03 01:51 AM
the sublime message?

It wasn't a "sub".

Posted By: Jackie Re: cynamatic effects - 08/28/03 02:11 AM
the sublime message?

It wasn't a "sub".

Oh, it was a lime message, then?

Posted By: Faldage Re: cynamatic effects - 08/28/03 09:59 AM
a lime message

Sailors always eat limes. For the scurvy, ya know.

Posted By: Jackie Re: cynamatic effects - 08/28/03 11:44 AM
Sub...sailors...! [smacking forehead e] :-)

Posted By: maverick Re: cynamatic effects - 09/10/03 10:49 PM
> cynemetic

I was thinking some more about this recently - it's prolly too artificial to gain wider currency...

A simpler way of expressing this aspect of the 'black arts of spin' is therfore suggested:

Blackground
A cynical manipulation of background imagery

This can function as a verb ("the carrier was blackgrounded behind Bush...") or as a noun ("Blair is a typical sleaze-ball blackgrounder...").

Any takers?

Posted By: moss Re: cynamatic effects - 09/11/03 12:51 AM
Blackground

Not bad, But most manipulation of this sort is more grey than black (your examples excepted).

The old standby "photo opp" probably works as well as anything.

Posted By: Jackie Re: blackground - 09/11/03 12:52 AM
Naah--t quite; I think it carries too much connotation of negativity--that is, that the purpose would be to deliberately make the setting negative in some way, or perhaps to cover up something negative. For me, this word just doesn't cover an effort, albeit false and patently so, to improve an image.

© Wordsmith.org