Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Bingley Pyrrhic Naves - 08/07/03 09:09 AM
New to me, from the Dryden translation of Plutarch's Life of Pyrrhus (of Pyrrhic victory fame):

It was next resolved to draw a trench in a line directly over against the enemy's camp, and, here and there in it, to sink wagons in the ground, as deep as the naves of the wheels, that, so being firmly fixed, they might obstruct the passage of the elephants.

http://ancienthistory.about.com/library/bl/bl_text_plutarch_pyrrhus.htm

Apparently the naves are the hubs.

Bingley
Posted By: wwh Re: Pyrrhic Naves - 08/07/03 01:20 PM
Dear Bingley: I never heard "nave" used as "hub" before, but my dictionary gives it a second word with that meaning.
I wonder if it is in any way related to "navel".
A better way of fighting elephants was described in life of Metellus, a couple hundred years after Pyrrhus. He had advancing elephants attacked with spears, causing them to turn and trample the Carthaginian infantry, leading to Roman victory.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Pyrrhic Naves Tangent - 08/07/03 01:48 PM
Oh, this sinking of the wagons mentioned here is a timely one. Someone else mentioned yesterday a news report about the sinking of the German boats in the Danube to stop the advancing of some fleet. And now the boats are visible because of the drought's having affected the water level of the D.

I wonder how large these wagons were so that an elephant couldn't just walk right over or through them?

And, wwh, your observation about the nave/navel connection sounds on target--at least on the surface. It will be interesting to see what others might find out about that theory today.

Where's tsuwm?

Posted By: Faldage Re: Pyrrhic Naves Tangent - 08/07/03 02:25 PM
how large these wagons were

I wonder if the sight of the wagons sunk in the ground caused the elephants to believe that the ground was too soggy to support them.

Posted By: wwh Re: Pyrrhic Naves Tangent - 08/07/03 02:39 PM
Nave (?), n. [AS. nafu; akin to D. naaf, G. nabe, OHG. naba, Icel. nöf, Dan. nav, Sw. naf, Skr. nābhi nave and navel: cf. L. umbo boss of a shield. √260. Cf. Navel.]

1. The block in the center of a wheel, from which the spokes radiate, and through which the axle passes; -- called also hub or hob.

2. The navel. [Obs.] hak.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Pyrrhic Naves Tangent - 08/07/03 02:48 PM
I wonder if the sight of the wagons sunk in the ground caused the elephants to believe that the ground was too soggy to support them.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Posted By: Zed Re: Pyrrhic Naves - 08/07/03 11:01 PM
related to navel
sudden memory of doing cartwheels as a kid. [dizzy-e]

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Pyrrhic Naves - 08/08/03 11:06 PM
Oh, Zed! That is one of the cleverest parallels I've read here all year! Wonderful! I'll never look at a wheel again the same--it will be all belly to me.

Posted By: Zed Re: Pyrrhic Naves - 08/09/03 12:01 AM
aw shucks

Posted By: vbq Re: Pyrrhic Navigation - 08/09/03 03:55 AM
He had advancing elephants attacked with spears, causing them to turn and trample the Carthaginian infantry

Sounds like the joke about the tanks manned by one of the armies overrun by Hitler's Panzers at the beginning of WWII.

The tanks had 3 gears, two "Reverse" and one "Forward" in case they were attacked from behind.

Posted By: wwh Re: Pyrrhic Navigation - 08/09/03 02:45 PM
Maybe the Nazi tanks should have had similar gears. I remember hearing on shortwave a Nazi propaganda broadcast when the Russians were starting to win, that German forces were "advancing to the rear."

Posted By: Father Steve Other Meanings - 08/13/03 10:21 PM
... and here I thought the nave was the part of the church where the congregations sits.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Other Meanings - 08/13/03 11:03 PM
You need to get out more, Father Steve.

Posted By: wwh Re: Other Meanings - 08/13/03 11:06 PM
Dear AS: are you suggesting that His Honour is naive?

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Other Meanings - 08/13/03 11:20 PM
certainly no knave...

Posted By: Father Steve "Out" - 08/13/03 11:29 PM
So ... a fortnight in Minneapolis is not "out"?

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: "Out" - 08/13/03 11:57 PM
depends on where you went. spend any time on Hennepin?

Posted By: Father Steve Re: "Out" - 08/14/03 12:12 AM
Sadly, my daily trudge was back and forth from the Hyatt Regency on Nicolett Mall to the Convention Center. There are some nice restaurants on the mall and I did spend one day at the Mall of America, which has to be seen to be believed.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: "Out" - 08/14/03 12:26 AM
ah too bad. there's a pretty good amusement park up there, too, I believe. Valley Fair, or some such name...

Posted By: consuelo Re: "Out" - 08/14/03 12:30 AM
In reply to:

the Mall of America, which has to be seen to be believed

My daughter took me there on the Sunday of Labor Day weekend a couple of years ago. I was almost knocked flat by the noise when we opened the doors.

Posted By: Father Steve Demonstrated Manhood - 08/14/03 03:22 AM
It takes a real man to face the floating log ride at Camp Snoopy ... or an excited eight-year-old boy, one of the two.

© Wordsmith.org