Wordsmith.org
Posted By: solrep embolallia - 12/03/00 12:11 PM
I discovered this word recently then lost the source. I may have spelled it incorrectly, but it is supposed to describe filler words in speech, such as er, um, like, and you know. Is it an actually word? I found it in a book of word lists I happened to be scanning at the library.

Thank you, wise ones.

Da'vid

Carpe rutila
Posted By: tsuwm Re: embolallia - 12/03/00 04:22 PM
according to the Penguin Dictionary of Psychology, embolalia (only two els) is simply "meaningless babbling". it would seem that someone borrowed this pathological term for other use; the "skb" wordlist, which can be found online, gives this looong and authoritative looking entry: "embolalia (n.) - the use of virtually meaningless filler words, phrases, or stammerings (or so-called hesitation-forms) in speech, whether as unconscious utterings while arranging one's thoughts or as a vacuous, inexpressive mannerism (W)" I'll have to ask him what his "W" source is, as I can't find his key [much of the skb list comes from Mrs. Byrne's Dictionary of Unusual, Obscure, and Preposterous Words, but not this one]

and, as long as I'm being expansive, here are some other interesting -lalias:

coprolalia - the uncontrollable use of obscene language
echolalia - the often pathological repetition of what is said by other people as if echoing them
glossolalia - speaking in tongues

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: embolallia - 12/04/00 07:02 AM
Okay, (a) I'm ignorant, and (b) I'll bite. What's carpe rutila? I translate it as "grabbing or seizing red" or something like that - given that I don't have a Latin dictionary handy. Carpe diem, I get. Maybe I'm just tired. Or stupid.

Posted By: solrep Re: embolallia - 12/04/00 08:33 AM
Just a play on the wornout Carpe diem. I write garden humour, hence "Carpe rutila" -- seize the spade/shovel.

Cheers,

David

Carpe rutila
Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: embolallia - 12/04/00 09:14 AM
Just a play on the wornout Carpe diem. I write garden humour, hence "Carpe rutila" -- seize the spade/shovel.

Oh. Shouldn't it be carpe pala or maybe batillum? Rutila is just red or something which is red. I think I've heard of rutila being used to refer to a clay (maybe red?) that some potters use, but that use may be unconnected.

But it's a long time since I studied the language. I just missed having Cicero as a tutor in rhetoric because the old beggar up and died. So I had to drop Latin and take geography instead. Now, where was I?

A pala was carried by legionnaires following the Marian army reforms (although for all I know they may have been carried by them before that).

Posted By: solrep Re: embolallia - 12/04/00 10:57 AM
Ah, I'm afraid I'm not a latin scholar, Captain. I used a Latin/English dictionary on the net and came up with the following:
pala spade, peel for putting bread in the oven.
rutila a spade, shovel.

Another one gave me rutrum.

For red it gives:
puniceus purple, red.
puniceus reddish.
rubor redeness, blush, modesty, shame, disgrace.
rufus red, ruddy.
rutilus red, golden, auburn.

Gosh, it's almost as bad as English!

"Bury him? And what am I supposed to dig the hole with, Brutus."
"Use the ........, you fool!"

This is the site for the dictionary http://humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexis/Latin/

Carpe rutila
Posted By: Bingley Re: embolallia - 12/04/00 11:36 AM
The Lewis & Short Latin dictionary at the Perseus site http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/lexindex?lookup=rutilus#1&db=ls&type=exact&options=Sort+Results+Alphabetically&lang=la&formentry=0 gives the meanings "red (inclining to golden yellow)" and "shining, glittering".

The words that have "spade" in the entry are gradus, pala, rutrum, vanga .

Bingley
Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: embolallia - 12/04/00 05:01 PM
Hmm. Well, I'm perfectly prepared to believe that my Latin is rusty (red).

Actually I've always loved the expression "S/he knows where all the bodies are buried". The reply (in a British comedy show, referred to elsewhere on this list as a "Britcom"), was "And s/he even knows where they keep the shovel".

Thanks for the Latin on-line dictionary URLs, people. I've always been too stingy to buy a Latin dictionary ...

Posted By: Marty carpe rutila - 12/04/00 11:00 PM
Yes, solrep, I found rutila, n. - a spade in another Latin online wordlist, as well as rutilus, adj = red, golden, auburn (rutila would be the feminine form of the adjective; rutilus the masculine.)

One thing to watch, though, if you want to continue using your sign-off is the case of the noun, rutila. If it is being seized, it needs to take the accusative case, which, assuming it's a regular feminine noun, would be rutilam.

So, carpe rutilam.

Actually, I rather like it as "seize the red". Goes well with my usual email sign-off of "Cheers".

Oh, and I'm no Latin scholar either, just a nitus-pickerus.

Posted By: solrep Re: carpe rutila - 12/04/00 11:18 PM
Wow, and I thougth I was being so smart. Guess I'll have to study Latin (tudysay atinlay?). Thanks, everyone, for your gracious enlightenment.

Carpe rutila -- seize the red ... geranium. That's it, red geranium. Fits the gardening theme perfectly.

Carpe whatever
Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: carpe rutila - 12/05/00 07:39 AM
Carpe rutila -- seize the red ... geranium

Well, carpe pelargonium is at least grammatical. Even carpe geranium I guess, but I understand that real gardeners only call them "Pelargonium".

Posted By: solrep Re: carpe rutila - 12/05/00 09:34 AM
Ah, yes, REAL gardeners may call them pelargonium, but only if the REAL gardener is referring to a pelargonium. If the plant in question is indeed a geranium, then a REAL gardener would call it so. The problem arises because pelargoniums are marketed as geranium and referred to as such by 90% of the population, and it has become tiresome explaining the difference. Having said that, I'm not sure if there is a RED geranium so I stand corrected.

Carpe whatever
Posted By: FishonaBike Spades and shovels - 12/05/00 11:36 AM
"Bury him? And what am I supposed to dig the hole with, Brutus."
"Use the ........, you fool!"

So the Romans didn't call a spade a spade?
No wonder the Empire didn't last.

Speaking of which, I saw a great Bestie (Steve Best) greetings card.
One cat shouts at another: "Oi! No bollocks!".
Caption: "Thomas liked to call a speyed a speyed."

Arf

Posted By: shanks Re: Spades and shovels - 12/05/00 01:25 PM
"Thomas liked to call a speyed a speyed."

Shona

If it's just a typo you can pour beer on my head in January, but if not, I'm interested in the use of 'speyed', since I would tend to spell it 'spayed'. Wassup?

Posted By: wow Re: Spades and shovels - 12/05/00 01:46 PM
Dear Fish and Shanks ... a mistake in spelling with Speyed/Spayed... ... After what MaxQ went through following my error with Deity/Diety I can say only : Heaven help you.
wow

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Spades and shovels - 12/05/00 01:51 PM
>I'm interested in the use of 'speyed', since I would tend to spell it 'spayed'. Wassup?

by false analogy (a common error in English <8^) with gray/grey?

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Carpe carp - 12/05/00 02:43 PM
= Seize the Shona!!

From http://www.webenglishteacher.com/text/latinseizures.txt:

LATIN SEIZURES

a. Carpe Diem--Seize the Day

b. Carpet Diem--Seize the carpet

c. Carpayment Diem --Seize the checkbook

d. Carpe Duh--Seize an idiot

e. Carp Diem--Fish of the day

f. Crampy Diem--Seize the Midol

g. Carpe Diet--Seize the rice cake

h. Carpal Diem--Seize the knuckles

i. Carpe Dig'Em--Seize the chips 'n dip

j. Carpe Carp--Seize the fish

k. Carpe diem--Complain daily

l. Carpe per diem--Seize the check

m. Carpe canem--Seize the dog

n. Carpe Dime--Seize the paycheck

o. Carpe Daemler--Seize the Mercedes

p. Carpe devo--Seize the record

q. Carpe calypso--Seize the DAY-O

r. Sharpei diem--Seize the wrinkled dog

Posted By: TEd Remington Thomas liked to call a speyed a speyed - 12/05/00 03:35 PM
Shona:

This is a GREAT pun (but anatomically a bit inaccurate since spaying has to do with ovaries, not bollocks.) And it's even better when you look up the word spay and discover that it arises "< ME spayen < Ofr. espeer, to cut with a sword < espee, sword < Lat. spatha. See spathe." And then you go to the derivation of spade (as in shovel) and find that it comes from old English spadu. Though in the dictionary at hand this explanation of the shovel word's origin stops there, I'd have to assume it comes from the latin spatha also.

Also of interest is the botanical spathe, which is the part of a jack-in-the-pulpit that looks almost like a parasol, and partially enclosing the spadix, a clublike spike bearing minute flowers. BUT! Spadix comes not from the same root but from the latin word spadix, a broken-off palm branch, derived from a similar Greek word.

Now WHY does this fascinate me so much? Do I need to get a life????

And you MUST run this through Aenigma and see what it gives back!!!

Posted By: rodward Re: embolallia - 04/02/01 09:53 AM
A pala was carried by legionnaires following the Marian army reforms

Is "Marian" a typo for "Maorian" CK? I have visions of a "1066 and all that" corruption of history taking place here!

spay
This is closer to the subject of the thread than one would think, since, in the Baltimore variant of English (and, I suspect in a lot of other places in the U.S. as well), "spay" is pronounced "spade", as in, "They had the dog spaded last week."

Posted By: wow Re: Thomas liked to call a speyed a speyed - 04/02/01 03:35 PM
"spay" is pronounced "spade", as in, "They had the dog spaded last week."

Too true and it annoys the hell out of me, or I could say, it gives me agita! One must strive to maintain standards! (sigh)
To spay means to remove the ovaries of an animal therefore if I say "I had my dog spayed" you may deduce the dog is a female (bitch).
OTOH, if I had a male dog I would have had him neutered. (Made neither male or female)
A spay is not a spade
Or have I been haging out with "Dog People" too long?
wow

Posted By: Jackie Re: Thomas liked to call a speyed a speyed - 04/02/01 09:26 PM
Bob, do you mean to tell me that people actually say that the vet is going to spade their dog??? How weird.

Spay/spade
Yes, Jackie, they do say exactly that, and I gather it's not just a Baltimore locution. Of course, technically speaking they ought to be saying they are going to spade their bitch, since "dog" technically refers to a male, but the people who would say "spade" in this context either don't know that or don't want to use the word "bitch".

Posted By: wow Re: spay is not a spade - 04/03/01 05:27 PM
BobY wrote : they ought to be saying they are going to spade their bitch

Well, yes and no.
The might want to say they are going to have the dog spayed and the listener could deduce the animal was a bitch.
On no account is spaded or spade the correct term whether you use dog or cat or whatever for a female animal.
Of course you could get past it by saying your having the Vet do a hysterectomy on your animal.
Is there a male equivalent to hysterectomy? I know men who are somewhat hysterical and even a few given to fits of hysteria!
wow

Posted By: wwh Re:hysterectomy - 04/03/01 06:54 PM
"hysteria" has an interesting etymology. I do not have a reference to document it, but in a psychiatry lecture it was said that the Greeks thought women were emotionally unstable at times because the uterus was "wandering" around inside them. So it is an amusing twist of meaning to call a man "hysterical".

Posted By: wow Re:hysterectomy - 04/03/01 07:31 PM
Knew I could depend on you, wwh.
And, now and then, I have found some of your posts pretty hysterical (as in funny!)!
wow

Posted By: Seian Re: spay is not a spade - 04/03/01 07:41 PM
Is there a male equivalent to hysterectomy?

For an equivalent, vasectomy essentially does the trick, doesn't it? The only other words around that are close are along the lines of "castration" and "unman"....

Posted By: wow Re: spay is not a spade - 04/03/01 07:58 PM
hysterectomy? For an equivalent, vasectomy essentially does the trick,
--------------------------------------------------------
Not really, Seian, in a hysterectomy the uterus is removed and sometimes also one or both ovaries.
As I understand it, tubes are tied but nothing's removed in a vasectomy so my inclination would be that castration is the equivalent.
Discussion, anyone?
wow

Posted By: Hyla Re: spay is not a spade - 04/03/01 08:09 PM
Discussion, anyone?

No! Yikes!

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: spay is not a spade - 04/03/01 08:22 PM
hysterectomy/male
The word for the equivalent procedure on a man is 'orchidectomy'= removal of the testes, or castration.

Posted By: wwh Re: spay is not a spade - 04/03/01 08:31 PM
"castration is the equivalent" Not to this kid. Vasectomy changes little except ability to effect pregnancy, although there are said to be some sneaky aftereffects. The same cannot be said for being made a eunuch by the chippy chippy chop on a big black block, or astride a log. I'll be having nightmares.

Posted By: Jackie Re: spay is not a spade - 04/03/01 09:45 PM
hysterectomy/male
The word for the equivalent procedure on a man is 'orchidectomy'= removal of the testes, or castration.

The same cannot be said for being made a eunuch by the chippy chippy chop on a big black block, or astride a log. I'll be having nightmares.

Discussion, anyone?

No! Yikes!

Ladies, we seem to have struck a nerve! The guys are
definitely hung-up about this.

Posted By: inselpeter Re: spay is not a spade - 04/03/01 10:39 PM
Regarding Equivalents:

To spay means to remove the ovaries of an animal.. -- wow

Ovaries--Analog: testes.
Therefore
Hysterectomy--Analog:Castration.
Simple.

Uterus--Analogy: no analogy.

My fellow fellows: face it, you will never be pregnant.

Question: Do you imagine more hysterectomies are performed by men, or by women?

This is Pelotas, signing off.

Posted By: wwh Re: spay is not a spade - 04/03/01 10:51 PM
Dear IP: I hate to say it, but 50 years ago there were too damned many hysterectomies done with insufficient grounds by men no psychiatrist could cure. Naturally I cannot document this.
Reply to IP's next post.
I have no idea of the ratio of male to female gynecologists, but I'll bet that the females do comparatively fewer needless hysterectomies.
Posted By: inselpeter Re: spay is not a spade - 04/03/01 10:56 PM
Dear IP: I hate to say it, but 50 years ago there were too damned many hysterectomies done with insufficient grounds by men no psychiatrist could cure.

To be clear: I was dead serious.

IP

Posted By: wow Re: hysterectomy male /female - 04/04/01 01:34 PM
For any of you who have access to a US Public Broadcasting System, check out your listings for any show featuring Christina Northrup MD. Her talks are on point and she is very funny!
Dr. Northrup has also written several books that are in print.
Her PBS programs are very informative as to the differences in "women's" medicine then and now. Mostly I have seen the programs as specials during fund raising time.
wow

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: spay is not a spade - 04/04/01 02:27 PM
In reply to:

My fellow fellows: face it, you will never be pregnant.

Leaving aside a few comedic characters in literature, very true and a bloody good thing. As my wife, a nurse as well as a mother, says, if men had to have babies the human race would never have reached grandchildren.

Posted By: wow Re: pregnancy/childbirth - 04/04/01 02:53 PM
if men had to have babies the human race would never have reached grandchildren.

On a similar note : if men gave birth to the second child we would have only two children per family ... which may sound cynical at first read but it also says something positive for the empathy of men to their womenfolk.

Now, in case you think I am being serious ...there's the old saying : "If men had babies, childbirth would be a sacrament."
wow

Posted By: of troy Re: pregnancy/childbirth - 04/04/01 09:53 PM
Wow, i am a little younger, but a lot more radical– "If men got pregnant-- abortion would be a sacrament!"

Look how men moan and groan about getting "internal examinations"-- for prostrates-- Now think about them once giving birth! (i have two children, my son was 9 lbs, with a 21 inch in circumference head, my daughter, at 9lbs, 15 oz, was 23 inches long and had a bigger head!) and my baby's didn't set any records for birth size-- I like to meet the man who could deliver a premie!

Posted By: wow Re: pregnancy/childbirth - 04/04/01 10:01 PM
how men moan and groan about getting "internal examinations"--

I've heard medical people say the closest men get to the labor of childbirth is passing a gallstone, and even that's just an indication.
How about it you MD Board members? (I think we have at least two. Alex Williams and dear Bill.)
wow

Posted By: wwh Re: pregnancy/childbirth - 04/05/01 12:22 AM
Dear wow: I was thinking about your challenge about relative abilities of men vs women to tolerate pain. In thinking about different kinds of pain, suddenly I remembered dental pain, which ought to be equal for both men and women. So we need to have a dentist from the days before dental anaesthesia became so marvelous, who could tell us about his experiences with both sexes. That gets me off the hook.

Posted By: shanks What does tolerance mean? - 04/05/01 09:23 AM
I've wondered about the term 'pain tolerance'. What does it mean? Here are some possibilities:

1. Pain that can be withstood before unconsciousness takes over. Presumably empirical studies (even if only obserrvational rather than empirical) can be carried out, and may have been, already. Any thoughts?

2. Subjective - individual's willingness to 'carry on' in a painful situation. This, however, need not tell us anything about the individual's physiology ("women have higher pain tolerance levels - it comes form hormones"-style mewage) but from cultutral and other conditioning. For instance, if men gave birth, and suckled, wouldn't it be true to say that women would suffer from the feelings of jealousy, and alienation, that fathers often go through - no longer being the most important person in the household, not able to create that 'mystical' mother-child bond that seems to occur so regularly, and so on. Further, if men were privy to such a bond (and yes, the 'magic' of giving birth and seeing something come alive that has grown inside you for all these months), what's to say that, no matter how painful, they wouldn't want to go through it again?

IMO, until we have a few real life Tiresias', the entire question is a moot one - particularly when it comes to the pain of childbirth and 'my pain is bigger than your pain' comparisons.

cheer

the sunshine warrior

Posted By: inselpeter Re: What does tolerance mean? - 04/05/01 09:57 AM
Pain that can be withstood before unconsciousness takes over.Presumably empirical studies (even if only observational rather than empirical)...?

Shanks -- Could you elucidate the two (including your parenthetical) phrases in red? I am not sure I understand how you distinguish "observational" and "empirical."

The notion of pain tolerance has always seemed odd to me. At face value, it belongs to the same category of speech addressed yesterday in the Empathy thread. It seems to me that since "subjective states" (a troubling term) are immeasurable as such, that they are necessarily incommensurable, as well. So that pain tolerance must refer to some empirically quantifiable response to an empirically quantifiable stimulus. Perhaps wwh could tell us--if I'm on the mark--what these might be. If my conjecture is right, while such measures seem useful, I don't see how they could, or should be expected to supplant the "subjective" report of "subjective" suffering--or a care giver's considered judgment thereof.

As to your second points on maternity, I will withhold any remarks here except to say, as a point of interest and not bawdiness, that men are capable of producing milk and, to some extent, at least, and suckling infants. (Or so I have read--Dr. Bill?). The subject of maternity might make an interesting non-word thread.

Posted By: shanks Re: What does tolerance mean? - 04/05/01 10:39 AM
David asked for elucidation:

Presumably empirical studies (even if only observational rather than empirical)...?

I hang my head in shame. It should have read: even if only observational rather than experimental.

Hope that clarifies the matter.

cheer

the sunshine warrior

Posted By: Flatlander Re: pregnancy/childbirth - 04/05/01 06:29 PM
My wife has, in the past two years given birth, had gallstones, and passed a kidney stone (while pregnant!). She says (and from observation of her reactions to each, I concur) that the gallstones were the worst.

Flatlander

Posted By: Jackie Re: pregnancy/childbirth - 04/05/01 09:28 PM
My wife has, in the past two years given birth, had gallstones, and passed a kidney stone (while pregnant!). She says (and from observation of her reactions to each, I concur) that the gallstones were the worst.
I for one will be happy to take her word for it, poor thing.
Please convey our sympathies.

Posted By: Sparteye Re: spaded dogs - 05/11/01 06:13 PM
I stumbled across an example of the spaded dog syndrome:

http://web.jet.es/runnymede/students/nicolealcantara/

Note the caption for the last picture on the page.

© Wordsmith.org