Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wsieber If more than one is required - 07/17/03 05:22 AM
A spoonful of sugar - that's easy. But how do you put it, if several of the same are needed?

Posted By: sjm Re: If more than one is required - 07/17/03 05:37 AM
Well I know that it should be spoonsful, but that's too much of a mouthful, so I go with spoonfuls.

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: If more than one is required - 07/17/03 09:42 AM
I also say "spoonfuls" - but would usually *write "spoonsful."

Posted By: dxb Re: If more than one is required - 07/17/03 11:04 AM
That puts it very well. In a nutshell. (I may turn these two sentences into a standard keystroke to use following Rhuby's posts)

Posted By: maverick Re: If more than one is required - 07/17/03 11:44 AM
I would definitely say, and write, 'spoonfuls'. I think to do otherwise is simply confusing what is being pluralised - the referent is the 'spoonful', ie, the contents, not the (singular) spoon.

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: If more than one is required - 07/17/03 11:51 AM
Oh, well! if all you're concerned with is avoiding confusion!!

Posted By: wow Re: If more than one is required - 07/17/03 12:47 PM
spoonsful because (1.) I can be quite pedantic on occasion and
2.) while I say spoonsful, I am thinking "spoons full" and
(3.) In earlier days I wanted my children to be able to spell well and pronunciation is a big part of that skill.

Posted By: Capfka Re: If more than one is required - 07/17/03 03:38 PM
Well, actually, it probably depends on whether you regard the word "spoonful" as a word in its own right - a unit of measure - or if you see it as two separate words run together for a particular purpose within some context or other.

I happen to see it as a measure. A spoonful is an amount. Two spoonfuls is twice the amount. I therefore happen to think that spoonsful is just wrong.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic bypassing spoons - 07/17/03 05:26 PM
I'm with the "spoonfuls" crowd. It's an amount; a measure, just like cupfuls. But then we have "passersby." Ah, English, the most lovely of bastards.

Posted By: musick More than one nutshell - 07/17/03 05:26 PM
...to be able to spell well and pronunciation is a big part of that skill.

Yet, certainly, not the other way around. [eg]

------------

I'm with Phranz... one wouldn't say "Rhube is good at summing up things into nuts'shell"...

edit - "...we have "passersby." Well, you might have them... couldn't resist-e
Posted By: maverick Re: If more than one is required - 07/17/03 10:51 PM
okwow, ifn you want pedantic...

But how do you put it, if several of the same are needed?

Cupful.

Posted By: Bingley Re: If more than one is required - 07/18/03 03:22 AM
Perhaps you do things differently over there, but if I'm measuring out sugar or whatever, I usually use the same spoon three times rather than three different spoons once each. So it's definitely spoonfuls -- the amount is pluralised rather than the spoons.

Bingley
Posted By: wow Re: If more than one is required - 07/18/03 12:57 PM
OK, Bingley, that's an excellent point. Makes sense to me!You have converted me to spoonfuls.
On my fridge I have two large, magnetic metal "buttons" which give the dry and liquid measure conversions. Very handy when cooking. Now what I really need are two conversion "buttons" for European to American measures. It was quite an adventure to figure out the directions for my O'Douls Irish Bran Bread mix. But I did it and now have lovely bread for breakfast every morning. Yum!

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: If more than one is required - 07/18/03 01:37 PM
OK, Bingley, that's an excellent point. Makes sense to me! You have converted me to spoonfuls.

Whereas maverick, Pfranz and I utterly failed.

Posted By: maverick Re: baddah-bing! - 07/18/03 06:12 PM
yeah, he's a sly dog...

Posted By: wow Re: If more than one is required - 07/19/03 12:57 PM
Whereas maverick, Pfranz and I utterly failed

Yup! failed utterly!

Posted By: Jackie Re: baddah-Bing! - 07/19/03 01:37 PM
yeah, he's a sly dog...
Ooh, you don't know the half of it!

© Wordsmith.org