Wordsmith.org
Posted By: JohnHawaii Apocryphal sea story?l - 05/11/03 11:42 PM
Many years ago, I went to sea for an extended period on USS Triton. She was the largest submarine in the world at the time (402 feet long). Displayed in the wardroom was a plaque with the (approximate) Latin phrase: "Ave nobilis dux, iterum factum est." I was told that this plaque commemorated the Triton's submerged circumnavigation of the world, and the Latin, loosely translated, meant "Hail noble warriors, we have done it again." (Alluding to Magellens's circumnavigtion of the globe). The plaque was specifically designed for public presentation to the government of Spain.
The story, as told to me, is that an error in spelling caused the Latin phrase to come out: "Ave nobilis dux, iterum sactum est." (Loosely translated: "Hail noble warriors, we've been had again)," causing much embarrassment for the U.S. and much amusement for the Spanish. I've often wondered whether the Latin phrases cited give credence to the story.

Posted By: wwh Re: Apocryphal sea story?l - 05/12/03 12:06 AM
For starters, "dux" is nominative singular, and means
leader, if I remember correctly.

Posted By: Bingley Re: Apocryphal sea story?l - 05/12/03 03:21 AM
iterum factum est -- It's been done again.

Perseus does not recognise sactum as a Latin form.

Bingley
Posted By: Capfka Re: Apocryphal sea story?l - 05/12/03 04:28 PM
Agree with both Bill and Bingley. It translates as "Yo, top dawg, we've done it again." I can't find any Latin word which begins with either "sac" or "sact" and is neuter in gender. In fact, no Latin nouns begin with either kind of stem.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Apocryphal sea story?l - 05/12/03 05:16 PM
It looks more like the fourth principle part of a verb, either sago, sagere, segi, sactum on the model of ago, agere, egi, actum or sacio, sacere, seci, sactum on the model of facio, facere, feci, factum but I can't find anything for either of those WAGs. The closest I come is sacrum which could mean accursed if dux were neuter.

Posted By: Capfka Re: Apocryphal sea story?l - 05/12/03 07:41 PM
None of the fourths worked, either.

Posted By: JohnHawaii Re: Apocryphal sea story?l - 05/12/03 10:31 PM
On advice of counsel, I'm going to quit perpetuating the story.

Posted By: wwh Re: Apocryphal sea story?l - 05/12/03 11:47 PM
Rocks and shoals?

Posted By: maahey Re: Apocryphal sea story?l - 05/13/03 02:18 AM
Multiple vertebrae fuse at the lower end of the spinal column, to form a large triangular bone called the Sacrum. So called because it was considered, 'sacred' - the soul or the concentration of spiritual energy is supposed to reside here.

Incidentally, this also ties in with Hindu philosophy that believes that the life force is concentrated in the form of a tightly coiled knot of energy called, Kundalini, at the base of the spine. One of the purposes of Yoga and transcendental meditation is to attempt to elevate this energy through successive levels of the vertebral column; each level achieved thus, corresponding to a more exalted spiritual and mental well being of the individual.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Apocryphal sea story?l - 05/13/03 09:34 AM
from submarines to Kundalini.

I love this place.

Posted By: Faldage What's the difference - 05/13/03 10:26 AM
between a sea story and a fairy tale?

The fairy tale starts out, "Once upon a time," the sea story starts out, "Now this is no s**t."

Posted By: Jackie Re: What's the difference - 05/13/03 12:30 PM

Posted By: Capfka Re: Apocryphal sea story?l - 05/13/03 06:13 PM
On advice of counsel, I'm going to quit perpetuating the story.

Prolly a wise move. But the original seems good enough. It's some motto!

Posted By: JohnHawaii Re: Apocryphal sea story?l - 05/13/03 10:17 PM
I can vouch for the reality of the plaque and the "Ave nobilis dux, iterum factum est" wording--saw it with my own eyes. The only question was whether sactum was a legitimate Latin word which would validate "the rest of the story."

Posted By: JohnHawaii Kundalini - 05/13/03 10:30 PM
"...Kundalini, at the base of the spine."

Wonder if there is an etymological connection between Kundalini and kundingi, which is the Korean word for that area of the human body sometimes refered to in less polite company as the ass.

Posted By: Jackie Inspiration; or, a trickster at work? - 05/14/03 12:30 AM
Ahem: sactum...sacked 'em. Y'all think?

Posted By: GrampyGeorge Re: Apocryphal sea story?l - 04/07/13 11:44 PM
I know it's almost 10 years later, but I have this big bronze plaque in my basement that I picked up at a flea market about 15 years ago. I typed the Latin words into Google, and this thread popped up. The plaque I have has a repaired "F" and a repaired "22" on the 1522 date. The new letters were brazed on. The plaque weighs about 60 pounds. I thought you might find this to be of interest. :-)
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Apocryphal sea story?l - 04/08/13 01:47 AM
I am curious as to what you typed into Google.The "Ave..." above?
As this thread is dead for the last ten years, how
did you manage to come up here?
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Apocryphal sea story?l - 04/08/13 01:48 AM
At any rate welcome to the forum.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Apocryphal sea story?l - 04/08/13 03:30 PM
Originally Posted By: LukeJavan8
I am curious as to what you typed into Google.The "Ave..." above?
As this thread is dead for the last ten years, how
did you manage to come up here?

if you google: "Ave nobilis dux, iterum factum est" this thread is the second hit (at least for me, ymmv). the internet doesn't care too much about the time frame.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Apocryphal sea story?l - 04/08/13 03:37 PM
So GG replied. Ok, I get it. Even after 5+ years I am still
new to the internet trying to figure it out. Thanks.
© Wordsmith.org