Wordsmith.org
Posted By: birdfeed Bharat? - 05/02/03 02:27 PM
What does "bharat" mean? I've encountered it a few times while cataloging books (what I do when not larking about with AWAD). It seems to describe either a portion of India, or a particular period of its history. I can't make it out from context, and it's not in My Favorite Dictionary.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Bharat? - 05/02/03 02:45 PM
Certainly maahey or anchita could correct me, but I believe that it is nothing more nor less than the local name for the Republic of India.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Bharat? - 05/02/03 04:22 PM
This is from Onelook.com :

noun: a republic in the Asian subcontinent in southern Asia; second most populous country in the world; achieved independence from the United Kingdom in 1947

Posted By: birdfeed Re: Bharat? - 05/02/03 04:29 PM
"a republic in the Asian subcontinent in southern Asia; second most populous country in the world; achieved independence from the United Kingdom in 1947"

I've got it, Alex! What is India?

Posted By: Faldage Re: What is India? - 05/02/03 04:41 PM
We're checking with the judges…

Posted By: Faldage Re: What is India? - 05/02/03 04:42 PM
No, I'm sorry. That question is not the one we were looking for. Let's see how much you bet…

Posted By: anchita Re: Bharat? - 05/02/03 07:36 PM
Yes, "Bharat" (the first 'a' pronounced as in 'car' while the second 'a' pronounced as in 'cut') is another name for India... It is the actual Hindi/Sanskrit name for the country. "Hindustan" is another name, derived from Urdu, I think, and 'India' is an anglicized version of its root 'Hind' (the 'i' pronounced as in 'pin'). The name "Bharat" was given after a famous ancient king "Bharat" (both 'a's pronounced as in 'cut,') whose story has contributed richly to the Indian mythology.

Posted By: Bingley Re: Bharat? - 05/03/03 12:50 AM
It may or may not be coincidental that Barat is the Indonesian for West.

Bingley
Posted By: Faldage Re: Bharat? - 05/05/03 06:42 PM
Barat is the Indonesian for West

Are ba and bha a minimal pair in Indonesian?

Posted By: Capfka Re: Bharat? - 05/05/03 08:00 PM
Yeah, but if they had more letters they'd be more than minimal, I thunk ...

Posted By: Faldage Re: Bharat? - 05/05/03 08:05 PM
Well, I google®d it and, no, they'd need more letters to *be minimal.

Posted By: Capfka Re: Bharat? - 05/05/03 08:18 PM
You just caint please some folks, huh? More is less. Now where have I heard that before?

Posted By: Faldage Re: Bharat? - 05/05/03 09:40 PM
where have I heard that before?

From Les Moore?

Posted By: Bingley Re: Bharat? - 05/06/03 01:11 AM
Bh doesn't really exist in Indonesian, except in a few conscious modern borrowings from Sanskrit. Even then I think it's pronounced just as a b.

Bingley
Posted By: Faldage Re: Bharat? - 05/06/03 09:14 AM
Bh doesn't really exist in Indonesian

Well, there you go, and Bharat is to the west.

© Wordsmith.org