Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Wordwind Obviousizing and Others - 05/01/03 06:26 PM
First question:

Did tsuwm invent obviousize or did somebody else invent the word?

Second question:

What other words on AWAD have been invented here that have continued to exist at least here?

Third question:

Is it true that OED needs to find new words in just five or six printed sources to put 'em into the dictionary if that board believes they're generally used?

Fourth question:

If tsuwm did invent obviousize and the third question gets an affirmative answer, then we need to push all the professional writers here to use obviousize in their published texts, and the rest of us need to use obviousize more out in the real 3D world so tsuwm's word will be picked up by the OED, don't we? [...told you it was a question!]

If tsuwm didn't invent obviousize, then never mind.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Obviousizing and Others - 05/01/03 06:34 PM
[...told you it was a question!]

Sounds like a plot to me!

Yeahbut®, how do we ensure, if adopted by the OED, that the etymology of obviousize is traced back to tsuwm and this board? [the plot thickens...] And does tsuwm want to be tsuwm or his real name in the pages of OED posterity?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Obviousizing and Others - 05/01/03 06:57 PM
to the best of my recollected archives, I verbed this adjective (I had already adapted, adopted and improved my ron obvious personna) way back in 1994; to wit (and completely out of context), from a private email:

maf> > those weren't really questions, were they!
jmh> neither was that.

maf> there you go again. <Reaganesque pause> Obviousizing the stated.

I believe the only other person who has actually been observed using it here is our own ASp.
-ron o.

p.s. - for the etymologists, I think the usage was influenced by the phrase "it's casual to the obvious observer".
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Obviousizing and Others - 05/01/03 07:43 PM
So, now, when the OED etymologists do their power search they'll pull up this thread and, "bingo!". Cool, tsuwm!

Posted By: Faldage Re: Obviousizing and Others - 05/01/03 07:46 PM
casual to the obvious observer

You knew Eddie John?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: casual to the obvious observer - 05/01/03 08:11 PM
>You knew Eddie John?

I don' thin' so. this is the sort of construction that lends itself readily to hypallage(?).

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: casual to the obvious observer - 05/01/03 10:49 PM
hypallage

from Merriam Websters:

>Main Entry: hy·pal·la·ge
Pronunciation: hI-'pa-l&-jE, hi-
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin, from Greek hypallagE, literally, interchange, from hypallassein to interchange, from hypo- + allassein to change, from allos other -- more at ELSE
Date: 1586
: an interchange of two elements in a phrase or sentence from a more logical to a less logical relationship (as in "a mind is a terrible thing to waste" for "to waste a mind is a terrible thing")<

Hmmm...so to obviousize a hypallage would be to point to the most obfuscating construction, wouldn't it?...so how is that obviousizing? Isn't obviousizing the obfuscation leaning to far into paradox to qualify as obviousizing? Or is simplifying the perception of the confusion covered in your coinage, tsuwm? Or sumptin' like dat.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: casual to the obvious observer - 05/01/03 11:55 PM
Go here right now!

http://theheronlibraries.homestead.com/poetryh.html

This poor page has only been visited 164 times.

On it I read that hypallage is a type of hyperbaton. We've mentioned hyperbaton on this board before.

Hypallage and hyperbaton can best be described as shuffling the words around in your sentences like Scrabble tiles on your Scrabble tray. For good effect.

Posted By: Jackie Re: casual to the obvious observer - 05/02/03 01:04 AM
Good grief, WW, I didn't even make it to the "hy--'s" before coming across a new word: apocopated. Atomica:
a·poc·o·pe
n.
The loss of one or more sounds from the end of a word, as in Modern English sing from Middle English singen.

[Late Latin, from Greek apokopç, from apokoptein, to cut off : apo-, apo- + koptein, to cut.]

I found another new word on the site, that I really like:
hypercatalectic
Having an additional syllable after the final complete foot in a line of verse. A verse marked by hypercatalexis is called hypermetrical.

But I like hypercatalexis even better! [under my breath: supercalifragilistic...]
I do wish the site gave some examples; it says there are three types of hyperbaton, and I'd have a better understanding of what they are if I could see them used. Oh! Look what I just found on another page: acatalectic!
And, mercy, look at this one: afflatus
A creative inspiration, as that of a poet; a divine imparting of knowledge, thus it is often called divine afflatus.
That sounds almost blasphemous!

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: casual to the obvious observer - 05/02/03 01:31 AM
Hey, ASp!...you're a hyperbaton!...and, specifically, yet!

From Dub-Dub's link: >Specific types of hyperbaton are anastrophe, hypallage, and hysteron proteron.<

Posted By: dxb Re: casual to the obvious observer - 05/02/03 06:52 AM
Thanks, WW, that is a site that deserves to succeed. I have added it to my list.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: About Anastrophic - 05/02/03 09:06 AM
Whit'...

Knowing now that she's a hyperbaton, well, can't you see she must be a hyper one of fire? No rubber-ended seemingly muted silver rod, she; a hyper ring of fire, most certainly she.

Posted By: Jackie Ring of fire - 05/02/03 12:08 PM
"I fell into that burnin' ring of fire
I went down, down, down
And the flames got higher..."

(Opening lyrics:
"Love is a burnin' thing
And it makes a fiery ring")

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Ring of fire - 05/02/03 01:04 PM
Mama Maybelle Carter.

Posted By: birdfeed Re: About Anastrophic - 05/02/03 02:19 PM
"Knowing now that she's a hyperbaton, well, can't you see she must be a hyper one of fire? No
rubber-ended seemingly muted silver rod, she; a hyper ring of fire, most certainly she. "

Allus has been, since I've known her. Which I mean to say that's been a long time.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: About Anastrophic - 05/02/03 04:07 PM
This "nice," as in pleasant it means or as in silly? she asked rhetorically.

Posted By: Capfka Re: About Anastrophic - 05/03/03 03:38 AM
Well, there's no doubt that AnnaStrophic could be regarded as hyperfaldagian, anyway ...

Posted By: nancyk Re: back to obviousize - 05/03/03 12:45 PM
I used obviousize in an e-mail to my brother and his response was, "Keep using words like that and they're going to ban you from your word-nerd board."

Posted By: Wordwind Re: back to obviousize - 05/03/03 01:34 PM
In reply to:

"Keep using words like that and they're going to ban you from your word-nerd board."

Little does your brother know...

Posted By: Jackie Re: back to obviousize - 05/03/03 01:46 PM
"Word-nerd"--word-nerd?! Oh...heh...he's right...

Posted By: nancyk Re: back to obviousize - 05/03/03 11:23 PM
Little does your brother know

When I explained that it was the verbing of an adjective by a friend named tsuwm, a fellow word nerd...well, let's just say my brother is convinced his much older (4 years) sister is ready for a home - without computer access

© Wordsmith.org