Wordsmith.org
Posted By: tsuwm rhyming slang, redux - 04/30/03 02:52 PM
I happened upon the phrase dead horse, which is supposedly rhyming slang for tomato sauce (as in "don't forget to add the dead horse to your pasta"?!).

assuming this is so, I must ask:
is horse pronounced 'hawse' OR is sauce pronounced 'sorce'??

[this is a dead tart]
Posted By: Faldage Re: rhyming slang, redux - 04/30/03 03:09 PM
is horse pronounced 'hawse' OR is sauce pronounced 'sorce'??

Or do they meet in the middle somewhere?

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: rhyming slang, redux - 04/30/03 03:12 PM
"Don't change horses in the middle of the Pond."

Posted By: Zed Re: rhyming slang, redux - 04/30/03 04:04 PM
Given that rhyming slang is Cockney I would guess source for sauce

Posted By: lapsus linguae Re: rhyming slang, redux - 05/01/03 12:15 AM
a horse is a hoarse, of course of corse and know won can talk two a whorse of cause, unless of course, that horse is the famous Mr Ed

Posted By: Jackie Re: rhyming slang, redux - 05/01/03 12:48 AM
"dead tart"--

ll: What'd you say? I think something must be wrong with my ears. ;-)

Posted By: dxb Re: rhyming slang, redux - 05/01/03 06:13 AM
dead horse, which is supposedly rhyming slang for tomato sauce

That's a new one to me and somehow it doesn't seem 'in period' for cockney rhyming slang - but I guess someone's still making them up, maybe in other places too.

Posted By: Bean Re: rhyming slang, redux - 05/01/03 02:02 PM
I dunno about rhyming slang but my British friend confirmed when we were discussing rhymes a long time ago that "dead horse" and "tomato sauce" rhyme. He pronounced them both with the same "aw" sound you hear when a Brit says "auxiliary". He also said to-mah-to, not to-may-to.

Posted By: Capfka Re: rhyming slang, redux - 05/01/03 02:23 PM
He also said to-mah-to, not to-may-to.

As does everyone, I thought ...

Posted By: Bean Re: rhyming slang, redux - 05/01/03 02:37 PM
We're not going to break into song here, are we?

Edit: I just added that so those of us trying to imagine him saying it would get the whole thing right.
Posted By: Faldage Re: rhyming slang, redux - 05/01/03 02:48 PM
As does everyone

I think the confusion comes from the misleading spelling. If it were spelled termater, like it's pronounced, we wouldn't have the confusion.

Posted By: birdfeed Re: rhyming slang, redux - 05/01/03 02:53 PM
No, it should be spelled duhmater if ya wanna be phonetic.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: rhyming slang, redux - 05/01/03 03:40 PM
Or either 'duhmader.'

Posted By: dxb Re: rhyming slang, redux - 05/01/03 03:48 PM
I'm not sure I can 'listen' to this.

Posted By: Faldage Re: rhyming slang, redux - 05/01/03 04:08 PM
What's duh madder, dxb?

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: rhyming slang, redux - 05/01/03 04:26 PM
redux, indeed

http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=miscellany&Number=32245

Posted By: Zed Re: dead tart - 05/02/03 12:37 AM
???????
is there a live ta . . .
Ooops, just listened to what I was about to ask and decided not to go there.

Posted By: dxb Re: rhyming slang, redux - 05/02/03 06:40 AM
What's duh madder, dxb?

Id souds like yer god a cohd id der head. I hobe ids nod catchig. ~ Sly Stallone

Posted By: of troy Re: rhyming slang, redux - 05/02/03 02:59 PM
this thread makes me sad-- i think of all the fun we had when ever any one opened their mouth at the first wordapalozza..

one Kiwi (no names mentioned!) told a joke about a man going to a pit shop to buy a present for his wife.. (and i thought--a pit shop? i know some stores in the scranton area of Pennsylvania sell anthracite coal carved into knick knacks-- but a whole store for pits- was there an other meaning to pits besides the mining one i was thinking off?)
and seconds later, i got my answer... at the pit shop the man was buying birds, or gerbils.. Oh, it was a PET shop..and being me, i ruined the flow of the joke by breaking in and saying..Whoa, wait a minute.. pit and pet have different vowels, and different sounds..

There were constant occurance of 'double takes'--and "what was that?" as we listened to each other.. and great show was done, with a group from the UK reading a skit.. to us, from US, is was the same word over and over again..but spoke, one single place name, had 3 different "sounds"!

Posted By: Capfka Re: rhyming slang, redux - 05/03/03 03:34 AM
Now come on, Helen, just because 250 million of you mispronounce a word which 3.9 million of us use perfectly happily among ourselves without any misunderstanding doesn't mean that you're right, you know.

Posted By: Bean Re: rhyming slang, redux - 05/05/03 03:56 PM
I had another thought about tomato sauce this weekend. Isn't it the British word for what North Americans call ketchup? Could someone please confirm or deny this? If I ever saw anyone putting ketchup on pasta I'd probably cry.

Posted By: Capfka Re: rhyming slang, redux - 05/05/03 07:54 PM
More or less. If I see someone wasting good tomato sauce on pasta, that makes me wanna cry, too ...

Posted By: Bingley Re: rhyming slang, redux - 05/06/03 01:04 AM
The word ketchup is also used in Britain. Not in this part of the world, though. Ketchup comes from the Malay/Indonesian kecap, meaning soy sauce.

Bingley
Posted By: consuelo Re: rhyming slang, redux - 05/06/03 01:30 AM
I had a thought about dead horse. Maybe it's a reference to the mystery meat in the canned pasta sauce

Posted By: dxb Re: rhyming slang, redux - 05/06/03 06:59 AM
I had another thought about tomato sauce this weekend. Isn't it the British word for what North Americans call ketchup? Could someone please confirm or deny this? ~ Bean

Here's a question from me and an answer from Helen from some time back.

When I was a lot younger, in the UK one served up tomato sauce with one’s fish and chips. On the other side of the Atlantic something called “ketchup” (occasionally for some mysterious reason spelled: “catsup”) was applied to hotdogs. Now, in the UK, one is also liable to hear the word ketchup used rather than tomato sauce.
I don’t like tomato sauce so cannot be sure whether it is the same as ketchup or something different, but it is clear why tomato sauce is so called. Can anyone please enlighten me as to where the word ketchup came from, and the even more mysterious catsup?

dxb

what ever the sourse of the word, catsup/ketchup has been an American condiment for a very long time.. colonial cookbooks have recipts.(recipes) for it, and the basics haven't changed.. it was originally chunkier, more like a chutney, made from tomatoes, spice, vinegar and sweetner.(molasses originaly) over time, it got smoother and sweeter.. until it is the homogonized sweet, mildy spicey, tomato basic condiment we know today.

remember the whaling industry was growing up pre-revolution, and american sailers were going round the world in search of whales.. NYC had the first customs house of US government, Sag Harbor, New Bedford, Nantucket, and all the other whaling towns of New England/Long Island followed fast behind.. Whaling ships brought in whale oil and other exotics from many foriegn ports and the new goverment was quick to impose duty tax! but there was no tax on ideas.. and condiments like ketchup came in free!

to my thinking tomato sause is mild, (maybe salt, and little basil) pureed tomatoes.. reduced slightly to thicken. it is the basis of other sauses.. red (pasta sause), cocktail sause for sea food, tomato soup, etc. i almost never use it as it comes from the can, but only use it as an ingredient in something else.

Posted By: wow Re: rhyming slang, redux - 05/06/03 02:42 PM
Recently, Heinz (he of the famous 57 Varieties©of pickles) and also the premiere catsup/ketchup purveyor in US, came out with a green catsup! Tastes same as red and kids loved it .... a Seussean thing doncha'know.

Posted By: of troy Re: rhyming slang, redux - 05/06/03 04:20 PM
sorry wow, green ketchup is old hat-- it came out last year.. this year new ketchup color is purple..

(did you hear the one about the family of tomatos out taking a walk? the little one was constantly getting distracted, and falling behind..

Father tomato kept instructing him to keep up with the family, but time and time again, the baby is trailing far behind the rest of the family. Finaly, he loses his temper, strides back a ways to were the dawdling baby tomato is, and smacks him up side the head! the baby crashes into a wall, and is smushed!
the father tomato surveys his work and says, "Ketchup!")

Posted By: Bingley Re: rhyming slang, redux - 05/07/03 02:00 AM
A translation of the entry in Kamus Besar Bahasa Indonesia for kecap (bearing in mind that c in Indonesian is pronounced with a ch sound):

kecap: n 1. liquid or sauce produced from processed soya beans to which sugar and spices are added and used as a food flavouring. 2. bragging, empty talk.

The dictionary doesn't give etymologies, but presumably it's related to the previous entry for another word kecap, which is longer than I feel like typing, but the basic meaning is: movement of the mouth (opening and closing it tightly) such as when eating so as to give rise to the sound cap,cap. As a verb (mengecap), it means to smack the lips, or to taste food.

Bingley
© Wordsmith.org