Wordsmith.org
Posted By: anchita give and take - 04/29/03 02:26 AM
I had an argument with my husband, who says that you always have to take a test, whether you are the person administering it, or appearing for it, while I maintain that the administering entity 'gives' a test, and the appearing one 'takes' it. eg. "My Math professor is going to take my test next week." (This according to him is correct, while in my opinion, it should be "My Math professor is going to give me a test next week."

Kindly help us settle this domestic dispute ;)

Posted By: consuelo Re: give and take - 04/29/03 09:46 AM
anchita 1
husband 0

Posted By: maahey Re: give and take - 04/29/03 09:47 AM
Aye, consuelo! My vote is for anchita too.

Posted By: sjm Re: give and take - 04/29/03 09:56 AM
Another vote for your side of this issue, anchita.

Posted By: Faldage Re: give and take - 04/29/03 10:05 AM
My Math professor is going to take my test

Depends, did your math professor bring the test to the classroom or take it to the classroom?

Posted By: dxb Re: give and take - 04/29/03 10:09 AM
Hi Anchita!

I have a problem here. Perhaps it's one of those Brit v USns things, then again I'm out of date in the 'testing' type of situation, some of the others would be up to date with current UK student thinking. I would have said : "My Math professor is going to set my test next week.", then I would take it (although this suggests an element of choice that probably isn't available) or sit it or just plain do it. But definitely can't see my Professor taking the test; he already knows the answers.

Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: give and take - 04/29/03 11:09 AM
> But definitely can't see my Professor taking the test; he already knows the answers

Not unless he's taking it to the front of the classroom after you've finished taking it ;-) Most would take a test but sit an exam - perhaps it simply has something to do with the alliterative poetry of taking tests - but I may be wrong. Exams are usually 'held' which probably wouldn't be the case with a test. 'Setting' a test would suggest someone appointing the test date in my mind. So.. 'My Math professor has set a test *for next week'. When 'giving' is used a reflexive 'us' or 'me' is usually added though, for if this isn't included (as dxb hints is also the case with take), a sense of choice is implied. Eitherway - Anchita's husband is most definitely looking at a long walk back to the invigilator with an emtpy answer sheet [g].

Posted By: vanguard Re: give and take - 04/29/03 11:35 AM
Hi, Anchita! I'm new here too, but not quite as new as you are, so I'll add my welcome to the Board.

I vote for you. What your hubby says doesn't compute in my mostly-Midwestern USn version of English.

Posted By: anchita Re: give and take - 04/29/03 01:49 PM
Thanks everyone...

Now I can smugly tell him "I told you so," coz he was the one to insist that I confirm it with my newfound "word people!"

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: give and take - 04/29/03 02:10 PM
oops, late but not too late, I hope! I agree with all the above, anchita. It reminds me of 'arguments' I have with my husband about 'bring' and 'take.'

Posted By: Faldage Re: give and take - 04/29/03 02:28 PM
'arguments' I have with my husband about 'bring' and 'take.'

Peering out from beneath Harry Potter's legacy from his father.
bring the test to the classroom or take it to the classroom

Of course 'bring' and 'take' describe exactly the same action; it's only the point of view that changes. When viewed from the classroom, the professor brings the test, when viewed from the professor's office the professor takes the test.

Note: This is not to say that the professor takes the test in the same sense that the students take the test. I'm voting with anchita, too.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: give and take - 04/29/03 02:35 PM
well, leave us not forget that once the professor gives the test to the student, who takes the test, when all is said and done the professor takes it back!
-ron (now what did I do with my password?!) obvious

Posted By: Faldage Re: give and take - 04/29/03 04:37 PM
the student, who takes the test, when all is said and done the professor takes it back!

In which ron o. neatly illustrates the Fallacy of Equivocation:

http://www.intrepidsoftware.com/fallacy/equiv.htm

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: give and take - 04/29/03 05:28 PM
leave us not forget

*schnortle*

[I'm-just-along-for-the-ride]

Posted By: Zed Re: give and take - 04/29/03 09:20 PM
Possibly the confusion is that if the regular prof is away someone else can "take" the class ie take over teaching it temporarily but where I come from only students take tests.

© Wordsmith.org