Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Bingley fishy - 04/08/03 02:28 AM
Would someone who is more up to date on fashion than I am (should be just about everybody) explain what a mullet is with reference to hairstyles?

Bingley
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: fishy - 04/08/03 02:30 AM
short on the top, long in the back... try:

http://www.mulletjunky.com

Posted By: consuelo Re: fishy - 04/08/03 02:33 AM
YART!!!! (I've always wanted to yart in public) Forgive me, Bing cherie?

http://wordsmith.org/board/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=words&Number=76339

Posted By: Bingley Re: fishy - 04/08/03 02:41 AM
Your next challenge, consuelo, is to find a self-YART.

Bingley
Posted By: consuelo Re: fishy - 04/08/03 02:45 AM
In reply to:

Your next challenge

If I should choose to accept it...

As absent-minded as I am, I probably have already self-yarted and didn't even know it!

Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: fishy - 04/08/03 10:04 AM
Ah, the mullet! It seems to have been experiencing a revival even among women in recent years (it a slighly different form). This seemingly coincides with the reliving of late 70s early eighties kitsch fashion and early electronic music (hello Moogs, Korgs and DX7s). The mullet is also refered to as 'hockey hair', AFAIK. The mullet has a name almost as absurd as the actual hair cut in the German speaking world, 'Vokuhila' (abbrev. from: vorne kurz, hinten lang, i.e. short front, long back).

Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: fishy - 04/08/03 10:10 AM
Here is the ostensible etymology from etaoin's mullet junky site:

* The term Mullet(hair context obviously) traces back to the 1967 prison film Cool Hand Luke, starring Paul Newman and George Kennedy, in which Kennedy's character refers to Southern men with long hair as "Mullet Heads."

Posted By: consuelo Just wondering - 04/08/03 10:15 AM
Would this be considered a mullet, or is it not proportionaly longer in back than it is in front?
http://studyabroad.tamu.edu/DUGallery/pic.asp?iCat=17&iPic=130

Posted By: Bean Re: Just wondering - 04/08/03 11:24 AM
not proportionaly longer in back than it is in front?

I would say not. I think there has to be a sudden change from short to long for it to be a mullet. For many years, we knew it as "hockey hair". I can't remember when I first heard the word "mullet" but I was happy to have a word to describe the condition!

Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: Just wondering - 04/08/03 12:43 PM
> I would say not.

I don't think so either - according to the people at mullet site, the hair has got to be at least 3x as long at the back as any where else if you want your mullet to be taken seriously. What we can see in the picture is problably best described as a 'mop' or mop-like hairstyle (sorry David, ...and Michelangelo).
It really is a quite extraordinary sculpture in the flesh, .. er marble; it doesn't surprise me that it maintains it's popularity to this day. If you were to try to reenact David's evident triumph in practical day wear, then you'd probably get more than a few sideways looks, and if you were to stand around like that, you'd likely be called a poser or a little on the effeminate side.
Praise the abstraction - abhor its reality, paint bowls of scrupulously clean fruit unwittingly distilling biophobic zeitgeist ... ah I love this world .. let's turn off the telly and go to Disney Land and then Las Vegas!

Posted By: musick Re: Just wondering - 04/08/03 03:34 PM
...at least 3x as long at the back as any where else if you want your mullet to be taken seriously...

OK, but, even I have that description covered...

Posted By: consuelo Re: Just wondering - 04/09/03 12:47 AM
ROTFLMAO

[

[snicker]

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Just wondering - 04/09/03 07:42 AM
even I have that description covered...

but 3x0=0 so maybe you haven't?

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Connie, you're weird - 04/09/03 11:55 AM
(but we already *knew that )

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Connie, you're weird - 04/09/03 12:01 PM
Anybody in this place who calls another weird is liable to be accused of indulging in the mutual blackening of cooking vesels.

(as the old saying goes; "All the world's mad but thee and me, David - and thee's a bit touched.)

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Weirdness is as weirdness does - 04/09/03 01:02 PM
Indeed, it was meant as a supreme compliment, Rhuby

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Weirdness is as weirdness does - 04/09/03 01:14 PM
Maybe we should change the name to A Weird A Day?

Posted By: Jackie Speaking of fruit... - 04/09/03 01:31 PM
(Oh yes we were! Here, I'll prove it: scrupulously clean fruit See, Connie's not the only weird one!)
I saw a little of educational TV last night, and got to see Billie Holliday (sp.?) sing Strange Fruit. The narrator was saying that when her "ghost-written autobiography" came out, it implied that the composer, Abel Meeropol, had written it for her. His son (I think it was) said that Mr. M. wrote to the publishing company and asked them to omit that from future editions, as he had not written it for her and in fact his wife, Anna (?) Allen, had been the first to sing it.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Speaking of fruit... - 04/09/03 03:51 PM
Or, if he did write it for her, he didn't realise it at the time.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Speaking of fruit... - 04/09/03 04:19 PM
True!

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Speaking of fruit... - 04/09/03 07:47 PM
I think I just got whiplash...

Posted By: Jackie Re: Speaking of whiplash - 04/10/03 02:20 AM
Just follow the bouncing ball...

Posted By: RubyRed Re: fishy - 04/10/03 03:52 AM
Just my little story regarding the mullet:

A gentleman at my place of employment sports one of these mullets. And I must say that even though the style is quite outdated,
it is so befitting for him, that everyone likes it on him. He has the perfect texture of hair for it. That is, thick and course and just the right amount of curl for the locks in the back to bouncily cascade down his neck and upper back. The color is salt and pepper, so we call him Pepper Locks, in lieu of the name that chicky in the Bears three goes by.......

Posted By: Bingley Re: fishy - 04/10/03 04:01 AM
In reply to:

we call him Pepper Locks, in lieu of the name that chicky in the Bears three goes by.......

Which would be what? And who are the Bears three?

Bingley

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: poser - 04/10/03 04:42 AM
poser

Heard this word bantered about a lot over on the VH1 Music Boards I used to frequent. The first time I encountered it was there a couple of years back, and it was usually used by folks who were dissing some band they didn't like for being a sellout, or a fraud to whatever genre they worked in (rock, grunge, etc.) The youngest on the board, especially the high school set, used poser the most. Am I getting the true sense of the word, poser, here, or am I missin' something?

Posted By: Bingley Re: poser - 04/10/03 05:08 AM
I've always understood a poser to be someone who strikes poses rather than does something from the heart, i.e., their main motivation is to impress lesser mortals. In your context WON, I think the accusation would be that the band was seeking street cred or was slumming to show the plebs how things should be done rather than having a genuine love of the genre.

Bingley
Posted By: maahey Re: poser - 04/10/03 06:06 AM
Am I getting the true sense of the word, poser,

In the sense that you and Bingley write about, WO'N, I have always spelt the word as posEUr, with the 'u'. A 'posEr' for me has always meant a question. Since the two of you use it, posEr must be an accepted alternative spelling for poseur.

Posted By: Bingley Re: poser - 04/10/03 07:58 AM
My dictionary gives poseur as the first meaning for poser, and difficult question for the second meaning.

Bingley
Posted By: dxb Re: poser - 04/10/03 09:54 AM
Whatever the dictionary says must be right I suppose (that’s irony*), but in my mind’s ear, ‘poser’ was originally used with a strong London accent, as in:

“’E’s a right poser, i’n’ ‘e.”

… and it meant their ex school - mate now drives a BMW and wears a Rolex and a blonde with long legs and short skirts but has difficulty with the repayments.

Now we all use the word ‘poser’ to describe the person who tries to give an undeserved or overplayed impression of success, or of being at ease in an environment or activity not natural to him/her. A fundamental characteristic of the poser, to me, is that they are unconvincing. I don't think that need be the case with the poseur.

*Note: I gather that we always have to give warning when irony is used. I don’t know why.

Posted By: of troy Re: poser - 04/10/03 10:57 AM
RE:wears a Rolex and a blonde with long legs and short skirts

Tell me, does wear the blonde on his wrist? or some where else?

Posted By: Faldage Re: poser - 04/10/03 11:03 AM
wear the blonde on his wrist?

I should think, on his arm.

Posted By: dxb Re: poser - 04/10/03 11:22 AM
Tell me, does wear the blonde on his wrist? or some where else?

I thought I'd leave that open...

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: poser - 04/10/03 11:39 AM
*Note: I gather that we always have to give warning when irony is used. I don’t know why.

I get it! That's an ironic comment, right?

Posted By: dxb Re: poser - 04/10/03 03:13 PM
It is...?

Posted By: musick Re: poser - 04/10/03 03:38 PM
I gather that we always have to give warning when irony is used.

I tried *that and it doesn't werk, either...

...as the Asp just *explained why.

Meanwhile, out in the pasture...

Posted By: Faldage Re: Irony - 04/10/03 03:43 PM
Is it an ironic comment if you say it's an ironic comment when it isn't?

Posted By: dxb Re: Irony - 04/10/03 03:45 PM
No comment.

Posted By: doc_comfort Re: poser - 04/11/03 01:44 AM
Am I getting the true sense of the word, poser, here, or am I missin' something?

Think a combination of:
one who poses, ie gives the impression of being something they're not, and
one who imposes, ie tries to fit in somewhere they don't belong.

As mentioned above, it often implies impurity of motive. Think Robbie Williams as the "bad boy of rock" - he acts bad on occasion because he is the "bad boy of rock", and not vice versa.

Posted By: dxb Re: poser - 04/11/03 07:50 AM
But he's too successful at it to be a poser. Now if he were to pretend to a deep knowledge of Russian ballet schools, then he would (I suspect) be a poseur. I guess, to me, a poser is a poseur with lower pretensions and therefor easier to detect. Robbie Williams 'lives up to his image' at times and that's subtly different.

I think too that a poser is trying to impress people with whom he is *not trying to fit in - he is either trying to give them the impression that no way could they fit in with him anymore, he has left them far behind, or he is trying to convince the uninitiated that he is a part of some scene to which, in fact, neither he nor they have the entrée.

I dunno, these are fine distinctions. Maybe they are only in my mind. Maybe the real difference lies between the people who use the word poser and the poseurs who use the word poseur.

Posted By: Rubrick Mullets?.... - 04/16/03 10:02 AM
Or just Muppets? http://www.kajagoogoo.co.uk/kajagoogoo/goo19.html

Posted By: Coffeebean Re: poser - 04/16/03 12:53 PM
Poser, to West Coast American teenagers, means someone who tries to appear to be something they are not.

Example: someone who dresses like a "skate-boarder", hangs out with the skaters, talks like the skaters......but does not know how to skate-board would be called a poser.

It was a word in use in the '80s to denote those who dressed like punks but did not adopt the lifestyle of the punks. Simply put, a poser is a "wanna-be."

The connotation is demeaning but slightly humorous.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Mullets?.... - 04/16/03 12:58 PM
Or just Muppets? http://www.kajagoogoo.co.uk/kajagoogoo/goo19.html

oh, that's just scary.

Posted By: musick Re: poser - 04/16/03 02:34 PM
"...dressed like punks but did not adopt the lifestyle of the punks..."

We called 'em "new wavers".

Posted By: Zed Re: poser - 04/16/03 06:18 PM
Try HoserPoser.com. "How to fake being a Canadian." I Googled it and found the website but coudn't get it open on this computer. (Google asked me if I hadn't meant to look for horsepower which is not the same thing at all)

Posted By: tsuwm Re: poser - 04/16/03 06:58 PM
hoserposer.com has gone south; it is no more--here is the last remnant in the google cache
http://216.239.33.100/search?q=cache:FutxAdn0CO8C:www.hoserposer.com/+&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

there is a lilnk there to a Dave Barry column, ostensibly because he comments on Canadian Humo[u]r:
http://www.sacbee.com/content/opinion/national/barry/story/1485029p-1561717c.html

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: hoser - 04/17/03 02:41 PM
Whence this word?

Posted By: Zed Re: hoser - 04/17/03 11:20 PM
I've no idea whence the word but the hoser himself, almost always male, is an Eastern Canadian. It is a reasonably mild insult often used between friends implying low class and low brain power. Thanks to the TV characters Bob and Doug McKenzie it also implies plaid wool shirts, toques and a lot of beer. As in "Quit tryin' to steal my beer. Yer such a hoser, eh."

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: hoser - 04/18/03 09:56 PM
Zed,

I remember some of the McKenzie skits! I thought they were hilarious, even if I didn't get *all the jokes.

Posted By: musick ...toques and a lot of beer. - 04/19/03 06:26 PM
Mmmmmm...... pointy!

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=tuque
Posted By: consuelo Re: ...toques and a lot of beer. - 04/23/03 03:26 AM
Heh*heh
Been there, done that and I'd wager I'm not the only one....

© Wordsmith.org