Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wordminstrel metaphoric fame - 03/16/03 04:58 AM
Our own Faldage has been hiding his light at the end of a tunnel. Newly famed for "evaporation into mist", he left no doubt of his prowess by minting the memorable "hoist us back on course" scarcely a day later.

A mixed metaphor distinguished by images of improbable scientific or mechanical processes could be called a Faldage. It seems only fitting.

Posted By: Faldage Re: metaphoric fame - 03/16/03 01:21 PM
be called a Faldage

I'll have to decline this great honor, if only because one person shouldn't have more than four eponyms.

Posted By: wwh Re: metaphoric fame - 03/16/03 02:25 PM
Proteus proposes plurality personae

Posted By: wordminstrel Re: metaphoric fame - 03/16/03 02:59 PM
I'll have to decline this great honor

Very well, but it does seem a shame. Frankly, your weaving of two disparate expressions - "to hoist on one's own petard" and "staying the course" - within a single nautical theme, was quite arresting, if not altogether ingenious.

Alas, if we cannot honor our own, whom shall we honor?

Posted By: wwh Re: metaphoric fame - 03/16/03 08:12 PM
Dear Wordminstrel: "Hoist on one's own petrard" reminds me of an episode at the swimming hole, a small cow pond, when I was perhaps six. We were all skinny dipping. One junior petomane
was blowing bubbles from both ends. A couple older boys grabbed him, and held a match to the terninus of his gasline.
A blue flame shot out of and into the orifice. If it hadn't been for the two guys holding him, he would have gone into orbit, hoist on his own petard.
Here's a URL, not for the fastidious:
http://www.ooze.com/ooze13/petomane.html

Posted By: wordminstrel Re: metaphoric fame - 03/16/03 11:16 PM
If it hadn't been for the two guys holding him, he would have gone into orbit

Yes, and he could have ended up in the anals of history.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: metaphoric fame - 03/17/03 12:42 AM

"If nominated I will not run,
If elected I will not serve!"

--Pat "Faldage" Paulsen

Posted By: wwh Re: metaphoric fame - 03/17/03 01:10 AM

"If nominated I will not run,
If elected I will not serve!"

Calvin "Faldage" Coolidge???????????

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: metaphoric fame - 03/17/03 01:46 AM
Lyndon "Faldage" Johnson (nee Baines)??????????

Posted By: Faldage Re: metaphoric fame - 03/17/03 11:13 AM
Calvin Coolidge

How many folks said this?

Common decency (not to mention having a delicate Atlanta girl wife) forbids me from saying who really played Jerome Kern to Pat Paulsen's George Gershwin.

Posted By: Capfka Re: metaphoric fame - 03/17/03 12:38 PM
Yes, and he could have ended up in the anals of history.

Or on the bridge of the Enterprise with Jean-Luc Picquard, circling Uranus wiping out Klingons.

Sheesh.

- Pfranz
Posted By: maahey Re: metaphoric fame - 03/17/03 03:27 PM
Hoisted BY one's......?

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: metaphoric fame - 03/18/03 01:52 AM
HOIST by one's...?

I believe a pet-[suffix] is a bomb, and a "petard" (Fr.) is a little one?

Posted By: Jackie A bit of inspiration - 03/18/03 02:39 AM
If there was a columnist and Faldage was his name,
He'd have meteoric, metaphoric, and a Doric fame.

Posted By: maahey Re: metaphoric fame - 03/18/03 05:01 AM
Good stuff, Jackie!

Elaborating on my earlier comment, shouldn't that phrase read as - to be hoisted 'by' one's own petard. You can't really be hoisted 'on' a petard, can you?

Posted By: Capfka Re: metaphoric fame - 03/18/03 09:52 AM
This, of course, is just the same as being run up a flagpole to see who salutes you ...

- Pfranz
Posted By: wwh Re: metaphoric fame - 03/18/03 02:09 PM
I checked, and in Hamlet the phrase is hoist with his own petard. I was thinking of lauch of spacecraft, with a jet coming out of bottom.

Posted By: Faldage Re: meteoric fame - 03/18/03 04:40 PM
The petard in Hamlet was a small industrial explosive device.

My fave mondegreen on it was hoist with his own poniard.

Posted By: maahey Re: meteoric fame - 03/18/03 04:44 PM
impaled, then!

Posted By: Capfka Re: meteoric fame - 03/18/03 07:08 PM
Yeah, he had it stuck to him. Or sommat.

- Pfranz
Posted By: Faldage Re: meteoric fame - 03/18/03 07:26 PM
had it stuck to him.

By his own se'f.

Posted By: dxb Re: petard - 03/19/03 08:02 AM
Came up with this:

A ‘petard,’ in medieval warfare was a metal and bell-shaped explosive charge (a crude hand grenade or mine) which took its name, oddly enough, from the French ‘peter,’ ‘to break wind.’ Daring warriors would affix to the walls or gates of a castle under siege. ...The explosive was detonated by a slow match or slow burning fuse. Occasionally, of course, the explosive went off prematurely, blowing up the man who lit it as well as the castle wall. Such a man was said to be ‘hoist’ (lifted or heaved) ‘by his own petard.’ Note that the ‘hoist’ in the passage is not the same as our modern "hoist"; it's an older form of the word, ‘hoise,’ with a participial ending that ends up as a -t (it would normally be written hoised).

It is unlikely that this archaic phrase would have persisted in our language, even in a figurative sense, had not Shakespeare conferred immortality upon it with his line from ‘Hamlet’ (~1600) when Rosencranz and Guildenstern are sent with Hamlet to England bearing orders that Hamlet be killed. Hamlet alters the orders so that they are killed instead. Hamlet then says: For 'tis the sport to have the engineer hoist with his own petard; and 't shall go hard, but I will delve one yard below their mines, and blow them at the moon. (Hamlet III.iv.206ff, spelling modernized). Today it is chiefly used to describe a person ruined by plans or devices with which he had plotted to ensnare others

Posted By: Jackie Re: petard - 03/19/03 01:50 PM
Whoa, dxb--thanks! [impressed as all get-out e] That makes it perfectly clear! Hoised...hoist. Learned...learnt. A-HA--it's you Brit-speakers' fault!

Posted By: dxb Re: petard - 03/20/03 07:49 AM
I freely admit that I didn't understand the bit about hoist not being the same as our modern word hoist - I just quoted it hoping for a reaction. The explanation given didn't appear to create a distinction between its use then and now.

Posted By: Bingley Re: petard - 03/20/03 08:47 AM
I think what it means is that the older hoist is the equivalent of our hoisted.

Bingley
Posted By: Capfka Re: petard - 03/20/03 09:12 AM
The modern word "hoist" and its usage come, I believe, from sailing terms. A "hoist" can be a set of sails ready for instant release by pulling a lanyard, or perhaps a bundle of signal flags. I expect that there is some correlation because of the fact that you would get an instant result in both cases ...

- Pfranz
Posted By: Faldage Re: hoised - 03/20/03 11:00 AM
AHD3 does indeed note a relation between hoise and hoist, stating that the latter is an alteration of the dialectal former. OED pretty much agrees, differing only in that it throws the variant hoiss into the mix and calling hoist a corruption.

Posted By: Capfka Re: hoised - 03/20/03 11:06 AM
Corruption -- ah, now we're getting into my area of real expertise!

- Pfranz
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: petard - 03/20/03 11:27 AM
from sailing terms.

Ah, yes!...Nautical Terms! (a classic)

http://wordsmith.org/board/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=miscellany&Number=23217

Posted By: Zed Re: metaphoric fame - 03/21/03 01:26 AM
I don't in the least object to Faldage having another eponym but it seems to me that Wordminstrel is having trouble seeing the forest for the trees. "Hoist us back on course" is perfectly reasonable. It is scientifically possible to hoist, say a car back onto a race course without using a petard at all. Indeed if a petard is really a bomb and not some sort of crane as I always thought, then it is mechanically much more sound not to involve petards. Although Gonzo might not agree.

Posted By: wordminstrel exuberrant talent - 03/22/03 03:52 PM
It is scientifically possible to hoist, say a car back onto a race course without using a petard at all. Indeed if a petard is really a bomb and not some sort of crane as I always thought, then it is mechanically much more sound not to involve petards

Agreed, Zed, so I take it you join me in celebrating this memorable "Faldage".

We can certainly agree that "hoisting" a thing "back on track" is a far more sensible thing to do than "exploding" it back on track [in a jillion pieces], but it is still a curious and inefficient way of getting a thing "back on track" [say a race car, to borrow your example].

Let us recall that a true "Faldage" enlists an image which is improbable [which accounts for its quaintness], not impossible [or self-destructive].

But, Faldage, has declined the temptations of metaphoric fame, so I think we should not draw further attention to his exuberrant talent.

Posted By: wwh Re: exuberrant talent - 03/22/03 05:32 PM
"exuberant" has an interesting etymology. My dictionary says it is ultimately from Latin "uber" meaning "udder".
So if someone is "exuberant" does that mean they are having galactorrhea?

Posted By: maahey Re: exuberrant talent - 03/22/03 06:06 PM

A most curious and hilarious association, wwh! And a worthy addition to the wwhean stable!

Might it have been that the uber, in turn, derived metaphorically from the word for bountiful?

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: exuberrant talent - 03/22/03 06:29 PM
ah, but notice wordmiz' spelling...

Posted By: wordminstrel Re: exuberant talent - 03/23/03 02:23 PM
ah, but notice wordmiz' spelling...

I have seen the error of my ways. Correction: "exuberant".

Posted By: wwh Re: exuberant talent - 03/23/03 03:45 PM
"exuberrant" could mean going "all out" over a precious pectoral prominence.

Posted By: wordminstrel Re: exuberant talent - 03/23/03 04:15 PM
"exuberrant" could mean going "all out" over a precious pectoral prominence.

Or, more likely, over a wayward pelvic prominence.

Posted By: wwh Re: exuberant talent - 03/23/03 05:18 PM
The well known mons may be a Tarpeian rock.

Posted By: wordminstrel Re: exuberant talent - 03/23/03 06:56 PM
The well known mons may be a Tarpeian rock.

A most felicitous reference, wwh, as it hoists us back on course.

It seems the Vestal Virgin Tarpeia, who was duplicitous without being proceptive, and from whom the infamous Tarpaeian rock takes its name, was hoisted with her own petard, as the tale below relates:

... the Vestal Virgin Tarpeia, who betrayed the Romans by letting the Sabines in through the gates after being promised to receive what they 'bore on their arms'. Naturally she hoped for their golden bracelets, instead she was crushed to death between their shields. Her body was buried atop the cliff, giving it its name.

Posted By: wwh Re: exuberant talent - 03/23/03 08:20 PM
From Plutarch to plutarch:
"After the overthrow of the Ceninensians, the other Sabines still protracting the time in preparations, the people of Fidenae, Crustumerium, and Antemna joined their forces against the Romans; they in like manner were defeated in battle, and surrendered up to Romulus their cities to be seized, their lands and territories to be divided, and themselves to be transplanted to Rome. All the lands which Romulus acquired, he distributed among the citizens, except only what the parents of the stolen virgins had; these he suffered to possess their own. The rest of the Sabines, enraged hereat, choosing Tatius their captain, marched straight against Rome. The city was almost inaccessible, having for its fortress that which is now the Capitol, where a strong guard was placed, and Tarpeius their captain; not Tarpeia the virgin, as some say who would make Romulus a fool. But Tarpeia, daughter to the captain, coveting the golden bracelets she saw them wear, betrayed the fort into the Sabines' hands, and asked, in reward of her treachery, the things they wore on their left arms. Tatius conditioning thus with her, in the night she opened one of the gates, and received the Sabines. And truly Antigonus, it would seem, was not solitary in saying he loved betrayers, but hated those who had betrayed; nor Caesar, who told Rhymitalces the Thracian, that he loved the treason, but hated the traitor; but it is the general feeling of all who have occasion for wicked men's service, as people have for the poison of venomous beasts; they are glad of them while they are of use, and abhor their baseness when it is over. And so then did Tatius behave towards Tarpeia, for he commanded the Sabines, in regard to their contract, not to refuse her the least part of what they wore on their left arms; and he himself first took his bracelet off his arm, and threw that, together with his buckler, at her; and all the rest following, she, being borne down and quite buried with the multitude of gold and their shields, died under the weight and pressure of them; Tarpeius also himself, being prosecuted by Romulus, was found guilty of treason, as Juba says Sulpicius Galba relates. Those who write otherwise concerning Tarpeia, as that she was the daughter of Tatius, the Sabine captain, and being forcibly detained by Romulus, acted and suffered thus by her father's contrivance, speak very absurdly, of whom Antigonus is one. And Simylus, the poet, who thinks Tarpeia betrayed the Capitol, not to the Sabines, but the Gauls, having fallen in love with their king, talks mere folly, saying thus:-

"Tarpeia 'twas, who, dwelling close thereby,
Laid open Rome unto the enemy,
She, for the love of the besieging Gaul,
Betrayed the city's strength, the Capitol."

And a little after, speaking of her death:-

"The numerous nations of the Celtic foe
Bore her not living to the banks of Po;
Their heavy shields upon the maid they threw,
And with their splendid gifts entombed at once and slew."

Tarpeia afterwards was buried there, and the hill from her was called Tarpeius, until the reign of King Tarquin, who dedicated the place to Jupiter, at which time her bones were removed, and so it lost her name, except only that part of the Capitol which they still called the Tarpeian Rock, from which they used to cast down malefactors."

Posted By: wordminstrel Re: exuberant talent - 03/23/03 10:13 PM
it is the general feeling of all who have occasion for wicked men's service, as people have for the poison of venomous beasts; they are glad of them while they are of use, and abhor their baseness when it is over

An especially apt quote in these times, wwh.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: exuberant talent - 03/23/03 10:21 PM
abhor their baseness when it is over

some of us abhor it now...

Posted By: wordminstrel Parthenope's complaint - 03/23/03 10:54 PM
The well known mons may be a Tarpeian rock

Are you thinking of the Sirens of greek mythology, wwh?

It is said that "one of the Sirens, Parthenope, in grief at the escape of Ulysses, drowned herself. Her body was cast up on the Italian shore where now stands the city of Naples, in early times called by the Siren's name."

© Wordsmith.org