Wordsmith.org
Posted By: belligerentyouth metric system's word for mileage - 02/23/03 10:59 AM
Anyone know a word like mileage that applies to kilometres; therefore meaning the number of kilometres travelled by a vehicle on a given quantity of fuel.

BTW, does anyone spell mileage like so: 'milage'?

Posted By: sjm Re: a metric system's word for mileage - 02/23/03 11:04 AM
Sorry, BY, here in Zild we still say "mileage" Car sales yards often say things like "Low mileage! Only XXX KMs!"

> "Low mileage! Only XXX KMs!"

Yeah, odd isn't it? I've also heard people say things like, "It gets great mileage, only 7 litres!"

Posted By: sjm Re: a metric system's word for mileage - 02/23/03 11:14 AM
I've also heard people say things like, "It gets great mileage, only 7 litres!"

Actually, in that specific circumstance, Zilders are probably quite likely to say "economy" - "It's got good economy, 7l/100km." That's ssuming they use that standard measurement. Most people I know measure it by how many k's to a tank, very scientific.

Posted By: wwh Re: a metric system's word for mileage - 02/23/03 01:11 PM
Dear sjm: One form of anti-Americanism I cannot criticize is annoyance caused by
our resistance to adoption of the cgs system.

Posted By: musick Re: metric system's word for mileage - 02/23/03 05:21 PM
Metridge.

Posted By: consuelo Re: metric system's word for mileage - 02/23/03 05:32 PM
Interestingly enough, there is a reference to be googled for metridge:

"Dear Digest,

You are an innocent traveler in time and space, navigating a strange unexplored frontier called... the information superhighway, when you stumble upon a conundrum upon your favorite digest...

..."The Twilight Zone Brake Malady Riddle"...

THE CAR-

... an '88 4AGZE, clean, 73,6XX.X miles (multiply by 1.609 for "metridge").

http://www.mr2.com/DIGEST/VOLUME1/1494.txt
It's nearly at the bottom of the page.

Posted By: plutarch Re: metric system's word for mileage - 02/23/03 06:35 PM
Anyone know a word like mileage that applies to kilometres
Yeah, people say "How many klics?" for how many kilometers.

Posted By: wow Re: metric system's word for mileage - 02/23/03 09:51 PM
"How many klics?"

Right on Plutrach. A term that came from the military. First time I heard it used was by "foot soldiers" in Viet Nam.

Posted By: Faldage Re: metric system's word for mileage - 02/23/03 10:52 PM
A klick is one kilometer. It is a measure of distance, not a measure of fuel efficiency.

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: metric system's word for mileage - 02/24/03 01:07 AM
Here on the left side of the pond we use miles per galon when referring to fuel efficiency (or inefficiency if are talking about my wifes SUV). On the right side, they speakin terms of how many liters it takes to go 100 km. The larger the number the worse the fuel efficiency, contrary to the way it is here, where the lower numbers mean lesser efficiency.

I'm pretty sure I've heard people from Europe referring to their cars as being 7 liters, while others bragged that their cars are 4 liters, inplying almost twice the fuel efficiency. I am pretty certain that was when I was in Ireland, but it's quite possible the reference may have been muddled in my brain, which was at times encumbered by a liter or three of my own. A good subject of research when we arrive "in country." The way they refer to their mileage, of course, not the human consumption.

Posted By: consuelo Re: metric system's word for mileage - 02/24/03 03:04 AM
Human consumption???[gulp]

Posted By: wsieber Re: metric system's word for mileage - 02/24/03 06:45 AM
Hi Ted,
You are quite right - in Europe we use litres per 100 kilometres to specifiy fuel consumption. Sometimes, too, we even go per pedes.

Posted By: Faldage Re: metric system's word for mileage - 02/24/03 11:24 AM
referring to their cars as being 7 liters, while others bragged that their cars are 4 liters

Which could cause some confusion since liter can also be a measure of engine size.

Posted By: Jackie Re: metric system's word for mileage - 02/24/03 12:06 PM
Human consumption???[gulp]
Exactly.

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: metric system's word for mileage - 02/24/03 01:21 PM
On the right side, they speakin terms of how many liters it takes to go 100 km.

Of, no they don't! At least, only in the mainland. Britains still measue distances in miles, and judge the relative efficiency or otherwise of ICE-powered engines in terms of "m.p.g." (miles per gallon)
Electric powered vehicles are measured in terms of "miles per charge" - i.e., the distance you can go before you have to hook up t the mains electric to re-charge the battery.

Now - I wonder how fiberbabe meaures the economy of her little econo-wonder? ( I suppose it must be m.p.g., as she doesn't have to hook up to the mains at any time?)

© Wordsmith.org