Wordsmith.org
Posted By: maahey Collectors - 02/22/03 05:22 PM
I was talking to a colleague who says he collects comics and that set me wondering as to whether there is a word for such a hobby. I couldn't think of any, my searches have yielded no result and in the process, I have thought of a million other item collectors who also don't have a name.
I can only think of Philatelist, Antiquarian, Bibliophile, Numismatist....
AWAD in its archives, has a term for the practice of collecting autographs - Philography; so would such a collector be a philographer or a philographist?

Any more such terms, anybody? And what is a collector of comics called? A komikosist..?

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Collectors - 02/22/03 05:43 PM
There is a name for every sort of collector (apart from "nutter", that is)

This link will give you a few of them
http://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/office/teasers.htm

Posted By: wwh Re: Collectors - 02/22/03 11:35 PM
The root of "comics" is Greek "komos". comographics could be "comic strips" Then
"comographophile" could be collector of comics.

Posted By: maahey Re: Collectors - 02/23/03 06:59 AM
"comographophile"- Much better than komikosist, wwh!

Thanks (edit)RhubarbCommando. The link describes 'virtuoso' as a collector of works of art or curios. I have never heard the word used in this way before.

virtuoso

Ä noun (pl. virtuosi or virtuosos) a person highly skilled in music or another artistic pursuit: a celebrated clarinet virtuoso
[as modifier] virtuoso guitar playing.

a person with a special knowledge of or interest in works of art or curios.
bold typeface is mine

DERIVATIVES

virtuosic adjective
virtuosity noun.

—ORIGIN early 17th cent.: from Italian, literally 'learned, skilful', from late Latin virtuosus (see VIRTUOUS).
© Copyright Oxford University Press 1999 - New Oxford Dictionary of English

Posted By: musick Re: Collectors - 02/23/03 05:37 PM
Thanks consuelo. The link describes...

Rhuby - This explains why I never see you two *cocurrently.

Posted By: consuelo Never? - 02/23/03 05:44 PM
Eaton Rapids?

Posted By: TEd Remington Eaton Rapids: - 02/24/03 12:58 AM
Is where fast food originated, isn't it?

Posted By: Jackie Re: Eaton Rapids: - 02/24/03 02:00 AM
Yes, if you're hungry enough.

Posted By: modestgoddess Re: Collectors - 02/25/03 01:37 AM
The Wizard of Id comic strip was very clever today: A man entering the kingdom is asked by Sir Rodney what he does. The man says, "I'm a coin collector," and Sir Rodney welcomes him to Id. In the last panel, you see the man sitting by a curb with a tin marked "Alms" in his hand....

Now that would be a clever beggar: one with a sign saying, "Numismatist"! I'd feel compelled to give him at least one of each kind of coin, even if it meant going to a nearby store and getting change from a note....

Posted By: wwh Re: Collectors - 02/25/03 01:42 AM
I ;collect all the portraits of dead presidents I can get;.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Collectors - 02/25/03 01:58 AM
Dr. Bill, if you have one of Andrew Jackson, I'll give you $5 for it. For those not familiar with U.S. money, Andrew Jackson is on our $20 bill.)

Posted By: wwh Re: Collectors - 02/25/03 02:07 AM
Dear Jackie: If you will trade a portrait of Woodrow Wilson for my portrain of Andrew Jackson,
yhou've got a deal.

Posted By: maahey Re: Collectors - 02/25/03 04:06 PM
Thanks consuelo. The link describes....

My apologies, RhubarbCommando, for the absent-minded post. Have duly edited both posts.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Collectors - 02/25/03 05:03 PM
Take it in stride, maahey. I didn't follow what was going on, but absent-minded posts are quite the norm here and... wait, where did I put my coffee cup?... right, quite the norm... (did you hear the one about the guy who walks into a bar...?) oh yeah, back to what I was saying: quite the norm and now makes you a full(y)-fledged (I-will-not-say-the-word-ayleur) AWAD person.

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Collectors - 02/26/03 02:08 PM
Thanks for the apology, maahey; I appreciate your courtesy. However, it wasn't necessary (from my point of view, that is - maybe it was from yours!)
a) I didn't see your post until after it had been edited (which caused me to scratch my head a little!)
3) It is an honour to be conflated with consuelo, a lady whose good humour and sense of right-living I admire. (Eaton rapids notwithstanding )

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Collectors - 02/26/03 05:58 PM
And somebody who collects collectors is a ...?

Posted By: musick Re: Collectors - 02/26/03 06:02 PM
And somebody who collects collectors is a ...?

I don't know, but my old man had a collection of collections.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Collectors - 02/26/03 06:22 PM
''I have the world's largest collection of seashells. I keep it scattered around the beaches of the world ... Perhaps you've seen it.'' - Steven Wright

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Collectors - 02/26/03 06:43 PM
Akshually®, moose, I'm a collector of collections meownself...I collect coins, baseball cards & memorabilia, rocks & fossils, historic newspapers, musical Santas, old books, shells, the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, (all kinds of stuff)...and I just call myself a pack rat. So I'm thinkin' pack rat is the apt description of a collector of collections. now if I could only figure out how to make a fortune on eBay...

Posted By: wow Re: Collectors - 03/02/03 04:34 PM
now if I could only figure out how to make a fortune on eBay...
Just be sure you ain't nekkid when taking photos of reflective objects!
Really, one was circulated on ebay until someone spotted it and it was pulled. Or so I am told! And someone did send me the photo in email of a shiny pot with a reflection of the man taking the picture !!! Not a prety sight!

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Collectors - 03/02/03 05:57 PM
nah, that was fake. well, it was real, but it wasn't. check http://www.snopes.com

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: Collectors - 03/02/03 09:31 PM
or, more specifically, http://www.snopes.com/photos/kettle.asp

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Collectors - 03/02/03 09:56 PM
thanks, fahu. I was too lazy to go looking.