Wordsmith.org
Posted By: suededevil Behold,See,Observe - 02/22/03 01:08 AM
Is Behold a religious word that we do not use that often in our daily lives?
What if i say "I behold such a social phenomenon"

what's the difference between it and observe,see ?

Posted By: wwh Re: Behold,See,Observe - 02/22/03 01:21 AM
Dear suededevil: Behold is an old word, reminiscent of things like the Bible. It would
have a an antique flavor, if you wanted that.
To observe has many meanings see does not. And in the seeing sense, it is done for a
purpose, to learn and be able to report.
See also has several shades of meaning. There are those who have eyes, and see not.
I will see if I can be of help to you.
observe
vt.
3served$, 3serv4ing 5ME observen < OFr observer < L observare, to watch, note < ob3 (see OB3) + servare, to keep or hold < IE base *ser3, to watch over, guard > Sans haraiti, (he) guards6
1 to adhere to, follow, keep, or abide by (a law, custom, duty, rule, etc.)
2 to celebrate or keep (a holiday, etc.) according to custom
3 a) to notice or perceive (something) b) to pay special attention to
4 to arrive at as a conclusion after study
5 to say or mention casually; remark
6 to examine and study scientifically
vi.
1 to take notice
2 to comment or remark (on or upon)
3 to act as an observer
—SYN DISCERN, CELEBRATE
ob[serv4ing[ly
adv.

Posted By: modestgoddess Re: Behold,See,Observe - 02/22/03 03:09 AM
Hi suede -

As Uncle Bill said, each word has a different meaning. His post is a little more technical - I'm going for the "usage-sentence" form of explanation!

"Behold" is more Biblical, but it's also used in formal or mock-formal situations. You might say something like, "Princess Diana's beauty was wondrous to behold." That just means it was a treat to see how beautiful she was. This word is also often used in the expression, "Lo and behold," which is a bit archaic but still common coin (if a phrase can be both those things at once!). You might say, "I rubbed this old lamp I found in the attic, and lo and behold! a genie appeared!" It's an expression of something happening either suddenly or unexpectedly.

Behold can also be used ironically, because it is "old language." For example: "Behold, a cell-phone-user running a red light." The use of the word here makes the statement ironic, as if it's an uncommon thing to see a cell-phone-user running a red light, when really it's not.

Seeing can be purely visual. You see a blue sky, autumn leaves, a dog with a waggy tail. You see someone commit a crime, make a pass, run a race etc. On the other hand, you don't see television, you watch it....You could see a television in the store and decide you liked that brand, and buy one - to take it home and watch it. You don't see a baseball game - you watch it. But you could see a certain player: "I saw Yogi Berra in the last game of his career." You can also see a play: "I saw Cat on a Hot Tin Roof last night - it was really good." If you saw it on tv, though, rather than live, you might be more likely to say, "I watched..." as in, "I watched a rerun of 'Friends' last night." Or: "I saw the rerun of 'Friends' when Joey pretends he has a lot of dance experience to try to get a role in a musical." Watched is more general, saw is more specific (you indicate the instance/particular item you saw).

Observe is, as Bill said, for more than just seeing. A doctor might observe a patient's reaction to a certain drug; said doctor would not just be seeing what happened, but extrapolating from it. "See" is more of a passive activity (there's an oxymoron, if you like!); "observe" requires a bit more engagement on the part of the observer. You observe effects of actions; you observe results in a scientific study in order to draw conclusions, possibly for publication.

You might observe a traffic accident, even - though you're more likely to witness it.

So, for a social phenomenon, you might say:

"I see this social phenomenon occurring," or
"I observe this social phenomenon occurs" (and you might add, "when" and then give a time or instance)....

"I see this social phenomenon of the group dynamic in crowded situations, when people follow each other like sheep."

"I observe that, in crowded situations, people fall into a group dynamic and follow each other like sheep."

Urg. This may not be the best explanation you get! I'll see how others weigh in on this one....That's my best shot, it being late an' all....!

Posted By: wow Re: Behold,See,Observe - 02/22/03 03:58 PM
Lo and behold! modestgoddess has seen what you wanted and made great observations!

Posted By: plutarch A thing to behold - 02/22/03 04:48 PM
"Lo and behold," which is a bit archaic but still common coin (if a phrase can be both those things at once!).

Bravo, MG. Your insights on "behold" are a thing to behold.

As to your Q, "Can a phrase be both archaic and common coin at the same time?", absolutely. Our language is replete with Shakespeareanisms and such like, but we are unaware of the antiquity of these phrases.

Curiously, some of these phrases [which we all understand somehow, as tho thru cultural osmosis] make no literal sense to us, but we use them day in and day out nonetheless.

For instance, who does not know what it means to "pull the wool over their eyes"? But how many of us know why this curious phrase made perfect sense in a bygone era?

Can u guess?

And, while we're at it, does anyone know where the phrase "Has the cat got your tongue?" comes from?
Posted By: modestgoddess Re: A thing to behold - 02/22/03 05:02 PM
O plutarch, you have piqued my curiosity! (or as a friend of mine would put it, "you have peeked my curiosity!" - mind you, she also signs her emails, "chow!" )

Do tell about the wool-pulling and the cat-getting-tongue. The only one I know is the origin of "don't fly off the handle" - or at least, I heard that it comes from warnings about loose ax heads and the damage they can do when they come flying off....(I'm open to correction on this one!)

Posted By: wwh Re: A thing to behold - 02/22/03 05:12 PM
Dear Plutarch: so good to see you posting again. I'm sure origin of "has the cat got ;your tongue'
is lost in the mists of antiquity. It does remind me of a little chant by one of my aunts when
one of my brothers tattles uninvited: "Tattle-tale-tit, your tongue shall be slit, And every dog
in town shall have a bit of it!"

Posted By: tsuwm a little proactive debunking - 02/22/03 05:25 PM
according to the Word Detective, There's no particular logic to "cat got your tongue," except that cats have served as the object of human myth and metaphor for thousands of years. No sooner did the first caveperson open the door to a yowling cat than people began concocting stories about cats. The black ones bring bad luck. They have nine lives. They suck out your breath while you're sleeping. They make those mysterious long distance calls that show up on your phone bill.

The most surprising thing about "cat got your tongue" may be its relatively recent vintage. While it certainly sounds as if it must have been dreamt up back in the Middle Ages, the earliest written example listed in the Oxford English Dictionary is from 1911.

if you've got a better story, post it and we'll have at debunking it!

Posted By: wwh Re: Behold,See,Observe - 02/22/03 05:27 PM
Dear suededevil: You might also learn a phrase that formerlyh was used following someone else's
having made a long confusing statement: "I see, said the blind man." Now the cliché is ""Yeah,but..."

Posted By: plutarch Wool Pulling - 02/22/03 05:50 PM
Do tell about the wool-pulling

My pleasure, MG. In merry olde England, gentlemen used to wear wigs made of wool. Pick-pockets working the streets would pull the wigs over their eyes as they snatched their valuables and made their escape.

The wig made it easier for pick-pockets to find profitable prey and to victimize them at the same time. Only in the human kingdom do we find life-forms so ill-suited to survival.

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Behold,See,Observe - 02/22/03 05:51 PM
As usual, I come too late to be of service - Mod-god, Plutarch (good to see you back) and Dr Bill have all done the job excellently. We are beholden to them for their efforts.

Posted By: wwh Re: Wool Pulling - 02/22/03 06:07 PM
Dear Plutarch: You might have mentioned that Englich gentlemen often wore wigs not
only because they were bald, but to escape the problem of head lice.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Wool Pulling - 02/22/03 07:15 PM
Dave Wilton agrees with the wig story, but places it in America, ca. 1839.

http://www.wordorigins.org/wordorp.htm#pullwool

Posted By: modestgoddess Re: Wool Pulling - 02/22/03 08:59 PM
thanks plutarch!

and thanks tsuwm, for the cat-tongue one. I wonder if it comes at all from the myth that cats steal your breath? breath and tongue both hangin' out in the mouth region for some of the time, anyway...! I remember waking in the middle of the night, back when I had my last cat, to find her sitting on my chest with her face an inch away from mine. Even though I don't believe the myth about breath-stealing, it was a spooky moment. Brrrr....

And Uncle Bill - couldn't you also say, "I see, said the blind man, as he picked up his hammer and saw"?!

Posted By: wwh Re: Wool Pulling - 02/22/03 09:09 PM
Dear MG: No such thing as wooden louvers in blinds these days.

Posted By: wofahulicodoc nonsense humor - 02/23/03 01:44 AM
"I see, said the blind man, as he picked up his hammer and saw"?!

Why not go one step further and make it a blind carpenter who picked his hammer and saw?

I seem to recall an entire genre of these:
--the anosmic fisherman who caught a barrel of herring and smelt
--the deaf cowboy who went out with his dog and herd
and so on...

Posted By: wwh Re: nonsense humor - 02/23/03 02:39 AM
Dear wofahulicodoc: I had a uncle who stood up in the kitchen sink to fix the curtain of the window
bhind the sink. He slipped and bit his tongue half off. My grand father sewed his toung together.
He wore awful neckties because he lost his taste.(True story, except for necktie bit.)

Posted By: wwh Re: devil in blue suede shoes - 02/23/03 02:57 AM
* Repeat
Well it's blue, blue, blue suede shoes
Blue, blue, blue suede shoes Yeh!
Blue, blue, blue suede shoes, baby!
Blue, blue, blue suede shoes
Well you can do anything but lay off a-my blue suede shoes

I'm the Devil in Diguise
You're the devil in disguise, oh yes you are
The devil in disguise. Mm

Posted By: musick Viva, Las Vegas - 02/23/03 05:43 PM
Who said "Elvis left the building"?

Posted By: Jackie Re: Viva, Las Vegas - 02/24/03 02:20 AM
Who said "Elvis left the building"?
Hi, Sweet Musick! :-) Will Smith said Elvis has left the bldg. in Independence Day. If the phrase existed before that movie, I don't know about it.

Posted By: wsieber linguistics - 02/24/03 07:01 AM
I don't know either where the phrase "Has the cat got your tongue?" comes from, but in French, there is an expression je donne ma langue au chat, when you give up searching for the solution of a riddle...

Posted By: Faldage Elvis has left the building - 02/24/03 11:20 AM
the phrase existed before that movie

Horace Lee Logan said it first.
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/021227.html

Posted By: Jackie Re: Elvis has left the building - 02/24/03 12:17 PM
Thanks, Faldage--I like having my mind set at ease about such things (geez, I must be on a roll: that first came out as my mind set at east {hmm--I do always seem to be running in circles...}). Anyway--I like the list of similar phrases he has at the end. Though "30" was lost on me. I also liked the list of questions at the bottom. This one will keep me bemused for a bit: In my personal and family development class (home ec) my teacher said that salt and pepper are married, so that's why they always have to stay by each other. If they are, then one has to be the husband and the other the wife. All of the people I've asked have agreed that the pepper would be the husband and the salt the wife. Well, what if the fork, knife, and spoon were a family. Which would be the dad, the mom, and the kid, and would the kid be a boy or a girl?

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Elvis has left the building - 02/24/03 01:14 PM
the pepper would be the husband and the salt the
wife.

Well - there's Lot's to be said in favour of that, I s'pose, Jackie!

Posted By: wwh Re: Elvis has left the building - 02/24/03 01:56 PM
But pillars of salt don't shake.

Posted By: TEd Remington But pillars of salt don't shake. - 02/24/03 04:36 PM
A Lot YOU know!

Edit: Oh heck. I missed the post preceding Bill's.

Posted By: wwh Re: But pillars of salt don't shake. - 02/24/03 05:17 PM
Speaking of salt to shake, I saw a site when salt was thread topic. In many parts of England
there were salty springs. Boiling the water caused salt to start precipitating, and the small
pure crystals could be harvested by passing the suspension though a fine filter. I hated myself
for not thinking of that.

Posted By: of troy contrary to expectations.... - 02/24/03 10:05 PM
Re: "I see, said the blind man, as he picked up his hammer and saw"

this is a bit of Americanizms... American's in the 1800's had hundreds of these...

one classic, with many version
One dark morning, in the middle of the night,
two dead boys, got up to fight,
back to back they faces each other,
drew their swords and shot each other,
a deaf police man heard the noise,
and came to rescue those two dead boys,
if you don't believe my story, ask the blind man,
he saw it it all!

the classical american song "old susanna" is very similar
It rained all night, the day left,
the weather it was dry,
the sun so hot i froze to death,
susanna, don't you cry.
Oh susanna, don't you cry for me,
i come from alabama with a bango on my knee.

both Mark Twain and Washington Irving used similar elements in some of their short stories, with characters talking contrary.

© Wordsmith.org