Wordsmith.org
Posted By: suededevil A controversial Phrase - 02/18/03 06:40 AM
Near vermilion,ones get stained red;Near ink,ones get stained black

I'm a Hong Konger,well..When i wrote my essay,my Australian teacher said it's "Chinese English"
well..I ain't native speaker so that i really can't make a justification but i just wanna know if it's so-called" Chinese English".I bet many of you guys here could give very good advice.THANKS !!

Posted By: Bingley Re: A controversial Phrase - 02/18/03 06:54 AM
The problem is there is nothing to tell you what "ones" refers to. Making it singular ("Near vermilion, one gets stained red; near ink, one gets stained black") would help. In very formal language we can use "one" to mean something like "the typical person", but this only works in the singular. "Ones" must have an obvious plural antecedent -- something already mentioned that "ones" refers to.

As to whether this is a typical mistake of Chinese speakers, I couldn't say.

Bingley
Posted By: wwh Re: A controversial Phrase - 02/18/03 01:33 PM
Perhaps using "people" instead of "ones" would be better.

Posted By: dxb Re: A controversial Phrase - 02/18/03 01:38 PM
Or fingers. It could be one's fingers that get stained.

Posted By: of troy Re: A controversial Phrase - 02/18/03 02:12 PM
to make things more confusing, i would never use the term vermilion for red ink!

the ink might be vermilion (red), but generally in US, one speaks of red ink -- in accounting red ink is sometimes used to record a loss, so businesses in financial trouble are sometimes said to be "swimming in red ink".

in the context, it was quite clear that vermilion meant red ink, but i would not generally substitute one for the other in commonly spoken english.

Still one of the joys of english is is flexibility. I am sure everyone understood the statement, but i suspect most would agree with me, in saying they have nevered used the word vermilion (by itself!) to mean red ink.

the use of red ink might be implied, ("the vermilion lettering stood out", but if asked about them, most would say the vermilion letters on the page were made with red ink, not that they were made with vermilion.

vermillion is used almost exclusively as a color (a specific shade of dark red).

likewise, it might be "as dark as midnight" (very dark!) but to describe the sky or ceiling, we would say the ceiling was painted midnight blue.--making it very clear that 'midnight' in the second sample is a color.

It was as dark as midnight when we entered and the flashlight did little to break the darkness, though it did help us find a light switch. Even with the lights on, the room remained very somber. There was very little reflected light; the walls were covered with books and the ceiling was painted a midnight blue.

anding to all this confusing, there are exceptions! (but of course, i can't think of any right now...

Posted By: wwh Re: A controversial Phrase - 02/18/03 02:48 PM
Dear of troy: to tease you gently, what color is "midnight blue"? It looks rather black to me.

Dear suededevil: I wonder if the "parable" you are quoting is a translation from Chinese.
I cannot think of a way to say it without it being a bit awkward. The boys who worked
as assistants to printers were called "printer's devils" because they got ink on their faces
from carelessness, as well as on their hands.
The only such "parable" I can remember was told by a speaker at my Highschool
graduation. To warn us that we should not associate with bad people, he said: "If you
lie down with dogs, you'll get up with fleas."

Posted By: Alex Williams Re: A controversial Phrase - 02/18/03 06:26 PM
Suede gets high marks for using ain't though. Now we'll have to introduce the term y'all. Jackie, would you care to have the honors?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: A controversial Phrase - 02/18/03 06:36 PM
suede

just as a pointless aside, I've been reading suededevil as 'sue-de-devil'
-tsue-em :)

Posted By: Faldage Re: A controversial Phrase - 02/18/03 07:28 PM
sue-de-devil

Ha! I knew I wasn't the only one.

Posted By: musick Re: A controversial Phrase - 02/18/03 08:18 PM
Me three!

Posted By: Faldage Re: A controversial Phrase - 02/18/03 08:20 PM
Ah-ite. Were y'all interpreting sue as a name or a verb?

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: A controversial Phrase - 02/18/03 08:22 PM
verb

Posted By: tsuwm Re: A controversial Phrase - 02/18/03 08:37 PM
need I say verb?
-tsu-wm

Posted By: musick Re: A controversial Phrase - 02/18/03 10:58 PM
A name.

Posted By: wofahulicodoc What's in a name? - 02/18/03 11:31 PM
...a pseudonym, if you please, and unless the bearer chooses to explain it our interpretations say more about us than about the owner :-)

Posted By: musick What is in a name? - 02/19/03 12:03 AM
I've heard "A boy named Sue" more than I've spoke to "A girl named Sue", but, so. (er.. should that be "so, but."?)

Posted By: modestgoddess Re: A controversial Phrase - 02/19/03 12:49 AM
Me three!

Me four!

And I was taking it as a verb....akshually.

But Suede Devil is also rather good, isn't it?

Very nifty moniker, any way you read it, sez I!

Posted By: Bingley Re: A controversial Phrase - 02/19/03 01:10 AM
In reply to:

i would never use the term vermilion for red ink

Nor would I, but isn't vermilion also the name of a red dye? That was certainly the way I took it.

Bingley

Posted By: wwh Re: A controversial Phrase - 02/19/03 01:59 AM
Anatomy books call the lips vermilion. The etymology would not make osculation more
appealing. The root is said to be "vermis" = worm.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: A controversial Phrase - 02/19/03 02:52 AM
how'sa bout sueded evil? with, like, fringe or sumpthin'...

Posted By: Wordwind Re: A controversial Phrase - 02/19/03 09:24 AM
In reply to:

The boys who worked as assistants to printers were called "printer's devils" because they got ink on their faces from carelessness, as well as on their hands.

Thanks for this story, wwh.

Suededevil. I first read it as "Sue, de devil," but later realized Sue was male, not female, so I began to read it as "Suede Devil," but had no idea what "suede devil" might be. After all, as wwh has pointed out, there were printers' devils, so perhaps there could be counterparts in the preparation of suede.

But I like this sue as verb proposition--I like the idea of "Sue the devil."

I hope Suede will explain the name.

Posted By: suededevil Re: A controversial Phrase - 02/19/03 11:56 AM
wow hey guys! I never predict that I've been plunged into controversy.Hey i feel so honored, for real haha
Well "Sue da devil" ,ur interpretation is really creative
I appreciate u very much.

Posted By: of troy Re: A controversial Phrase - 02/19/03 03:38 PM
re: isn't vermilion also the name of a red dye?

yes, i think so, (see more in next post, in responce to Dr Bill) but red ink is also used in China (and in Japan) for offical documents.

the "chop"-- a peice of carved caligraphy, that is commonly used as a signature, (an anglasized name, closer to the chinese name of what i call a chop was discussed-- but i forget the term.) Most usually, signatures are inked in red, to signify they are names. (just as red ink was used in religious text calendars to signify special holy days.)

It makes me wonder about the meaning of the adage, since red is also a lucky color... does it mean that those who work with the clients (and their red inked signatures) are more likely to be lucky in business (as opposed to those who work with the black ink inventory and billing?)

tell us more you suede devil!

Posted By: wwh Re: A controversial Phrase - 02/19/03 03:48 PM
Dear of troy: your red holy days on calendar, reminds me of phrase "red letter day" meaning
news of some propitious event.

Posted By: vika Re: A controversial Phrase - 02/19/03 04:41 PM
translating a proverb is a daunting task. it rarely works because there is always an English proverb of approximately same meaning, a foreigner doesn't know it and it is not easy for a native speaker to associate your translation with one.

for example, I and my boss were discussing something and I told him that there is a Russian saying

Do not try to divide the skin of a bear, which is not killed yet
(a word to word translation).

A couple of days later he returned the saying

Do not skin a bear that is not killed...

P.S. I though that the nick was sure devil

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Idiomatic expressions - 02/19/03 05:03 PM
Do not skin a bear that is not killed...

Never heard this before; and doesn't sound like colloquial English. One "translation" I can offer is "Don't count your chickens before they're hatched."

Posted By: vika Re: Idiomatic expressions - 02/19/03 05:10 PM
yes, that what I mean by an English proverb equal to the one in a foreign language. but there is a Russian saying about chikens too, so "the bear story" is different.

Posted By: dxb Re: Idiomatic expressions - 02/19/03 05:17 PM
I reckon the moral of the bear proverb relates to the danger associated with trying to divide the skin of a bear while it is still alive! Off hand I can't think of an English equivalent that has quite the same frisson.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Idiomatic expressions - 02/19/03 05:20 PM
What's the Russian one about chickens?

Posted By: of troy Re: A controversial Phrase - 02/19/03 05:25 PM
Re:The etymology would not make osculation more
appealing. The root is said to be "vermis" = worm.

several different terms for red are rooted in the "vermis" root... Many red dyes were first extracted from the boiled shells of insects. ---Just as lacquer is. (and it too has a redish tone.)
nowdays there are several red words that go back to the same root. (but all my dictionaries are still in storage.... its driving me crazy!)

carnilion is another 'red' red word, the front half from carn(e) -flesh, and the back have from vermilion!

red food coloring used to made from the same boiled insect shells... but now days, the most common red dye is red dye #2, which is a coal tar extract. (mmm, coal tar! drool... as Homer Simpson might say!)

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Idiomatic expressions - 02/19/03 05:25 PM
good point, dxb! (putting on thinking cap...)

Posted By: wwh Re: Idiomatic expressions - 02/19/03 05:52 PM
Dear dxb : much less hazardous, Mrs. Beaton's cookbook advice: "First catch your hare...."

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Idiomatic expressions - 02/19/03 06:10 PM
Dear wwh: We don't want no splitting hares on this board!

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Idiomatic expressions - 02/19/03 06:13 PM
>We don't want no splitting hares on this board!

but some days it seems that's all we got..

Posted By: wwh Re: Idiomatic expressions - 02/19/03 07:31 PM
At least no nare krishnas.

Posted By: Alex Williams blue suede devils - 02/19/03 08:41 PM
Speaking of devils, where does the Blue Devil come from, of Duke University fame (or infamy, I should say, since I am a Kentucky fan)? Here in Lexington the mascot of Henry Clay High School is also the Blue Devils. I just wonder where the concept came from.

Posted By: wwh Re: blue suede devils - 02/19/03 09:14 PM
Dear Alex: my guess is that when Duke U was organizing its football team, they either
knew or found out what colors their pontential opponents had alread adopted, and
chose blue, which presumably had not yet been chosen by another nearby college..
Of course the smoke from their principal benefactor's tobacco was blue. Well, sort of.

Posted By: Jackie Re: blue suede devils - 02/20/03 01:10 AM
After a WWI group of French soldiers, Alex--
http://www.duke.edu/web/Archives/history/why_blue_devil.html
Thanks for the incentive to LIU--I've wondered idly about that, too. Had forgotten Henry Clay, though.

Posted By: wwh Re: blue suede devils - 02/20/03 01:53 AM
Nice find Jackie : even using your post for clues, I couldn't find that site again.

Posted By: Jackie Re: blue suede devils - 02/20/03 01:56 AM
Nice find Jackie
[GLOW]

Posted By: vika Re: Idiomatic expressions - 02/20/03 11:10 AM
What's the Russian one about chickens?
Count your chickens when the autumn comes (e.g. some of them will die even after they've hatched)

Posted By: Alex Williams Re: Idiomatic expressions - 02/20/03 11:28 AM
Thanks Jackie. Here's a link to a larger version of the pic on the Duke Univ. page:

http://www.worldwar1.com/posters/fww0661.jpg

Posted By: wow Re: A controversial Phrase - 02/20/03 02:44 PM
Well "Sue da devil" ,ur interpretation is really creative

Reminds me of the old saying :
"This whiskey goes down the throat like the devil in suede boots."
chuckle chuckle.
I am sticking with Suede Devil!
:-)

Posted By: consuelo Paté and a nice Chianti - 02/21/03 12:58 AM
http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=words&Number=96881

Posted By: Jackie Re: Paté and a nice Chianti - 02/21/03 02:22 AM
Consuelo, I was just thinking that!

Posted By: plutarch Re: A controversial Pedagogue - 02/23/03 03:48 AM
my Australian teacher said it's "Chinese English"

The only thing "controversial" about your exchange with your Australian teacher, suededevil, is his/her characterizaion of your grammatical mistake as "Chinese English".

This is a slur on your national origin and your teacher owes you an apology.

People learning english for the first time all make mistakes and their mistakes all fall into patterns common to each different native tongue.

Your teacher dismissed your mistake as "Chinese English", leaving you deflated but uninformed about your mistake, so you came here for the explanation which your teacher should have provided in the beginning.

Your teacher could have explained your error to you. He/she might even have explained that people who speak your native tongue experience certain predictable difficulties when learning English. This knowledge could help you overcome those difficulties because you would see the pitfalls ahead.

Dismissing your mistake as "Chinese English" is a put-down, suededevil, not language instruction. I hope you confront your teacher and obtain an apology.

Posted By: wwh Re: A controversial Pedagogue - 02/23/03 03:53 AM
And remember, your teacher speaks "ozzie" English. (Which is almost as bad as US English)

Posted By: suededevil Re: A controversial Pedagogue - 02/23/03 11:49 PM
well thanks a lot anyway
just forget it,ozzie is always like that
my ozzie teacher is particularly kind of "stiffnecked"

Posted By: Jackie Re: A controversial Pedagogue - 02/24/03 02:13 AM

my ozzie teacher is particularly kind of "stiffnecked"
Oh, lucky you. (And that is U.S. sarchasm.)

© Wordsmith.org