Wordsmith.org
Posted By: dawa Rope Ladder - 10/24/00 01:01 PM
Does anyone know the name of those rope nets that hang over the sides of ships for troop debarkation?

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Rope Ladder - 10/25/00 02:31 PM
Hi, there dawa - welcome to the board.

Sorry to be of no immediate help, because I've never had occasion to call them anything (thank goodness! they look uncomfortable and dangerous - I could just about accept them as a means of emergency embarkation but for getting off the ship? no thanks!!)

Suggest you look for the Imperial War Museum's web-site - no idea of the address, but should be fairly easy to turn up. They are bound to know, and I will be surprised if they don't have an enquiry service.

Good luck - don't get your feet wet!

Posted By: jmh Re: Rope Ladder - 10/25/00 03:14 PM
I found a website which talked about cargo nets and climbing nets. I didn't see any military ones. I'm sure tEd will be able to help - he's our military expert, he's probably written a guide to using them somewhere.

http://www.world-playground.com/PacificFibre/

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Rope Ladder - 10/25/00 03:30 PM
Jo - are you sure about that site? The logo looked as though they manufacture SM equipment!

Posted By: Jackie Re: Rope Ladder - 10/25/00 07:40 PM
Welcome, dawa! You must have joined AWAD during
palindrome week.

I haven't been able to find any special name. I think it really is just "the net", or something like that.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: Rope Ladder - 10/25/00 07:48 PM
Welcome, dawa! You must have joined AWAD during
palindrome week.

You wouldn't by any chance mean "semordnilap week", would you?

Posted By: Lucy Re: Rope Ladder - 10/27/00 01:56 AM
It isn't a scambling net is it? Or is that just used in the context of terrifying commando-type courses?

Posted By: Jackie Re: Rope Ladder - 10/27/00 02:43 AM
Lucy! Great to see you again!

Yes, Max, you're right--mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. Though neither awad nor dawa is a word!

Posted By: maverick Re: Rope Ladder - 10/27/00 12:06 PM
Lucy! Great to see you again!

Seconded. But a phrase I seem to have come across once or twice is suspiciously close to You Can Up Look. (I blame the CIA.)

Posted By: shanks Re: Rope Ladder - 10/27/00 12:11 PM
Can You Look Up? (Existential?)

Look Up. You Can! (Exhortative)

Look You. Can up! (New way to politely ask somebody else to zip up his or her mouth?)

You - Lookcan. Up. (The Lord to the vanished Lord?)

Can Look Up You (Oh the perverted horror!)

Posted By: jmh Re: Rope Ladder - 10/27/00 12:14 PM
Up Look You Can (AnnaStrophic)

Posted By: shanks Re: Rope Ladder - 10/27/00 12:22 PM
Ah, so. Old hands can get away with personal remarks. I am young, but I will learn, Yoda (You Oughtn't Do Aerobics)

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Rope Ladder - 10/27/00 02:01 PM
>Does anyone know the name of those rope nets that hang over the sides of ships for troop debarkation?

Gosh, I can't believe how many posts there are out there!!! I've been reading the emailed posts every day, and every time I try to scrape up time to go on line to reply, there's another danged brush fire that needs some gasoline thrown on.

Anyway, one of my co-workers is a Navy commander who at one time served on an LST (landing ship tank), a vessel from which Marines can debark by throwing over the side a CARGO NET!!! That's the official US Navy name for it.

TEd, who has seen SO many opportunities for puns and so little time to perpetrate them upon unsuspecting readers. For those of you who've been debating the nature of humor, I posted some time back my theory that the pu is the only form of joke which does not have a victim. Which is why we groan at them. There's no one to laugh at

Posted By: shanks Re: Rope Ladder - 10/27/00 02:04 PM
TEd

"my theory that the pu is the only form of joke which does not have a victim"

Is this the church pu you're talking about? I've been victimised on them and I can tell you it's no joke.

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Rope Ladder - 10/27/00 02:24 PM
No, it's the kooL pU You Can!

Posted By: shanks Re: Rope Ladder - 10/27/00 02:36 PM
Ha ha ha ha hahahahahahahahahah...

Oh dear... can't stop crying with laughter.

Can't top that.

You win!!!

Posted By: FishonaBike Re: Rope Ladder - 10/27/00 02:57 PM
Old hands can get away with personal remarks

Yes indeed, young Skywalker - let the Wookie win!

Posted By: xara Re: Rope Ladder - 10/27/00 03:09 PM
Yes indeed, young Skywalker - let the Wookie win!

You callin' Jo a hairy scary monster?
Mmmm Halloween!

Posted By: Jackie Re: Rope Ladder - 10/27/00 04:58 PM
the church pu you're talking about? I've been victimised on them and I can tell you it's no joke.

Have you no shame??

Posted By: FishonaBike Re: Rope Ladder - 10/27/00 07:45 PM
Is this the church pu you're talking about?

Nope, it's Winnie ille Pu:
http://www.gvo.it/privati/zsuzsa/lenard/winniepu.html
If you do a Web search, you'll find quite a few references to this famous Pu, who, whilst in some ways a victim, is always a winner.

(Get that babelfish out!
http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Board=miscellany&Number=5052)

© Wordsmith.org