Wordsmith.org
Posted By: tsuwm motching defined - 01/16/03 05:45 AM
the voting booth is open until 00:01 CST one day in the future..

choose one:

(a) in glasswork, a rapid etching process that enjoyed a brief vogue among hobbyists in the late 19th century; the effect produced by spraying a pane with a dilute acid (jargon, contraction of mottled etching)

(b) the serrated-jaw assembly that forms part of the cable gripping and tightening mechanism on the drum of a steam-ploughing engine

(c) from mediaeval England, originally mutching or mowching (these are probably regional variations); it meant the seeking of alms by Friars of the mendicant orders, but has come to mean begging by anyone and has acquired a connotation of lurking with evil intent, or to avoid work (the Welsh version is "mwchyms" (pron. "moochums") which is (or was) commonly used to mean playing truant from school)

(e) pronounced mot-ching', a venerable Chinese game played with ivory tiles; the Western pronunciation has evolved over time and the game is now widely known as "Mah Jongg" or equivalent spelling

(f) a solid-color quilt border

(g) poetic translation of ancient Chinese secrets

(h) the act of mooching over your tea

(i) the act of challenging the major point of contention in a written debate by publicly pointing out a minor misspelling (in internet format this tactic has been adapted as a mutually understood concession)

(j) the act of lying: prevarication

(k) the practice of cutting leeches during surgical application to empty them of blood and increase suction

(l) nonce word coined for SUVs, which need larger parts: similar to notching, but the notches are cut twice as large and twice as far apart; c.f. m and n spaces in typography

(m) producing (as a pattern or design) on metal by eating into the surface with a laser beam

(n) the under-soil of a sod farm

(o) the name for what happens when a bunch of guys get together and try to out-macho each other

(p) a coarse twill cloth made of a mixture of linen and cotton

(q) fond of dainties, with the idea of eating in secret; (also) slow, quiet eating, with the idea of fondness for good living; imperceptible use, with the notion of thriftlessness

Posted By: sjm Re: motching defined - 01/16/03 06:46 AM
I like both I and F, so will try to return to my usual poor form by backing the wrong horse. F it is, for me.

Posted By: Faldage Re: motching defined - 01/16/03 10:51 AM
I gotta go with A.

Posted By: Wordwind Post deleted by Wordwind - 01/16/03 12:06 PM
Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: motching defined - 01/16/03 12:13 PM
To tell the truth, I think it must be J, bejaysus.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: motching defined - 01/16/03 01:05 PM
Q and C are quite colorful and I applaud their creators; A, B and L are quite similar. I guess I'll go with B.

Just for S&Gs, where's D?

Posted By: rav Re: motching defined - 01/16/03 01:15 PM
d is the correct one :))

Posted By: Faldage Re: motching defined - 01/16/03 01:59 PM
Good point, rav!!

Posted By: wwh Re: motching defined - 01/16/03 02:18 PM
Motching is what Sherman did through Georgia.

Posted By: Wordwind Post deleted by Wordwind - 01/16/03 02:23 PM
Posted By: tsuwm yet another disclaimer - 01/16/03 02:31 PM
regarding the posting on Q&A and the lack of "d": I blame it all on posting at 00:45; you realize, of course, that there is no way to get it moved to Wordplay and this will be the end of hogwash® as we know it...

Posted By: wwh Re: yet another disclaimer - 01/16/03 02:42 PM
Why not try sheepdip for a change?

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: yet another disclaimer - 01/16/03 03:00 PM
Why not try sheepdip for a change?

I strongly advise against it! It is the name of a brand of Scotch Whisky. If your car runs out of petrol, or if you are short of paint stripper to finish a decorating job, then use Sheep dip, by all means. But do NOT take internally!

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Mmm, - 01/16/03 04:36 PM
I know it's not the correct definition, but I like B. It has just the right coarse gutty Anglo-Saxon sound.

(Also like F, but I'll credit B just the same.)

Posted By: bonzaialsatian Re: Mmm, - 01/16/03 05:02 PM
Hmmm... I'm also stuck bettween F and B.
I think I'll go for F.

Posted By: Wordwind Post deleted by Wordwind - 01/16/03 05:18 PM
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: steenkin rules - 01/16/03 05:28 PM
I forget: can people vote if they haven't submitted a daffynition?

Posted By: milum Re: motching defined - 01/16/03 05:42 PM
Hmm...Hogwash upgrades to
Questions & Answers

Nice respectable neighborhood. I'll try to temper my remarks with that in mind.

First off, I don't think tsuwm deliberately left off my definition. I think he was just tired. Besides my definition was just plain stupid and would have fooled no one.

(D.) motching - the futile mad waving of wings by chickens who have forgotten that chickens can no longer fly when they jump from the top of the chicken house.

Yeah I know it is silly and I don't blame tsuwm for not using it, but today I learned the real definition. I didn't look it up but came across it on everything.com. The answer is "I".

I may or may not get my two points for having the correct answer registered, but doc bill, you and all the other newcomers can pick yourself up a couple of quick points by voting "I" . Remember anyone can play and you need not have submitted a definition to get points.

Thank You.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: steenkin rules - 01/16/03 05:49 PM
>I forget: can people vote if they haven't submitted a daffynition?

<sigh> I forget: why is it again that I've posted the frappin' ruelz 17 times?!
-joe (yes, but you get only 1 point instead of 2 if you guess correctly) pâté

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: motching defined - 01/16/03 06:10 PM
Ahhh!...so if it's "I" then musick was motching when he used "looser". Kewl! I should've known!

But I ain't votin' for "I", right (and as musickally verifiable) as it may be...no, I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree with Faldage wash my mouth out with soap on this one, and "Take the A Brain".

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: steenkin rules - 01/16/03 06:29 PM
dear belaboured Joe Pâté,

It's so much easier to ask you than it is to LIU.

Posted By: Faldage Re: steenkin rules - 01/16/03 06:33 PM
so much easier

Not for joe, it isn't.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: steenkin rules - 01/16/03 06:39 PM
>> so much easier
> Not for joe, it isn't.

fer sure; not only do I carry the baggage of all those stoopid ruelz, but I gotta remember (where to find) those diacriticals as well.
-joe grâvé

Posted By: rav Re: motching defined - 01/16/03 07:58 PM
hope i'm not late ;/
still don't understand the rules well but my guess is "a"

Posted By: tsuwm Re: motching defined - 01/16/03 08:07 PM
rav> my guess is "a"

I thought you voted for 'd'.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: steenkin rules - 01/16/03 08:39 PM
not only do I carry the baggage

baggage or braggage?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: steenkin rules - 01/16/03 08:48 PM
sorry juan, there's no r this time either.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: steenkin rules - 01/16/03 08:59 PM
I like n.

Posted By: rav Re: motching defined - 01/16/03 09:45 PM
>I thought you voted for 'd'.

'cause i'm sure it's "d".. i only guess it could be "a" :P

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: motching defined - 01/17/03 01:18 AM
When I saw this word, I figured it was not a verb, and I stillthink I'm correct at least on that. I REALLY like F, and I wish Fiberbabe were about, since she'd know that for certain, but I'm going to take a P.

Posted By: Bingley Re: motching defined - 01/17/03 09:00 AM
I must have a P.

Bingley
Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: motching defined - 01/17/03 10:08 AM

rav> my guess is "a"

I thought you voted for 'd'.

No - he merely said that "d" was the right answer - there is no rule that says you have to vote for the right answer just because you know what it is.
Norman Nitpicker.

EDIT:Sorry rav: I posted without looking at your reply. My apologies for mincing beef.

Posted By: sjm Re: motching defined - 01/17/03 11:27 AM
Having already voted, I felt free to go looking for the real definition, and found the word used with a meaning not included in the Hogwash list at all: http://snurl.com/loy There was another link that used the word in still another sense, but it may have been too close to the "correct" answer, so I won't post that one.

Posted By: musick Pencil Sharpening - 01/18/03 06:03 PM
I need to p also, but I'm going with "F".

WO'N (aka Juan) - Either your memory has been replaced with someone else's or your "major" points have dulled a little...

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Pencil Sharpening - 01/18/03 07:21 PM
WO'N (aka Juan) - Either your memory has been replaced with someone else's or your "major" points have dulled a little...

Yeah, maybe I loosed a point or two along the way...

But, for all of that, I'll have you know my memory is still finely tuned, Mr. Musick!...cannibus erectus, as it were.

Posted By: dxb Re: motching defined - 01/18/03 09:05 PM
Mmmm....M seems unpopular. But it's kind of close to what came falteringly to mind when I read the word, can't quite pin it down, probably wrong, but I go with M.

Posted By: consuelo Re: motching defined - 01/19/03 04:24 PM
Having had only one day to mull this over, I guess E will be my guess.

Posted By: Jeepers Re: motching defined - 01/19/03 04:28 PM
Q. It made me hungry.

Posted By: tsuwm time! - 01/19/03 05:45 PM
I think all of the contributors have reported in with their votes, but I'll leave the booth open until 00:01 CST (as warranted) and post the results (in Wordplay) tomorrow.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: time! - 01/19/03 11:12 PM
and post the results (in Wordplay) tomorrow.

Awwww, that's no fun! Why not post them where we can't find them? Say at the bottom of an old thread from 2000, or somethin'...on the Classical Mythology forum ....or, you could even create a floating ghost thread that nobody knows about!

Posted By: rav Re: time! - 01/20/03 04:37 AM
i was wondering if you're going to give that answer at all :P

Posted By: tsuwm Re: time! - 01/20/03 03:14 PM
>a floating ghost thread that nobody knows about!

or (even better) the floating ghost thread that only the OPs know about. see you in RE: Guten Tag..

© Wordsmith.org