Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh amitate - 01/02/03 03:22 PM
Sort of a hijack. In tsuwm's wwftd, he posts discussion of "avunculate". The quote says
"compare amitate", Search yielded a very interesting site defining many terms used in
anthropology, very much worth browsing.
http://www.as.ua.edu/ant/Faculty/murphy/436/kinship.htm

Posted By: Wordwind Post deleted by Wordwind - 01/02/03 04:04 PM
Posted By: Rubrick Re: amitate - 01/02/03 04:20 PM
not appearing as such in any of the socieites of our sample

Extraordinary. When I was in Romania three years ago my friends there told me that it was a highly common practice amongst the Roma (gypsies). And they account for 40% of that countries population. Maybe they shoudl broaden their sample!!

Posted By: Alex Williams Re: amitate - 01/02/03 05:28 PM
No mention of "kissin' cousins" there.

Endogamy: "A requirement for marriage within a defined category or range or group or community ("in-marriage"). All societies are minimally endogamous in that they limit marriage to members of the same species; most limit marriage to members of the opposite sex." RK:149. Contra. "Exogamy".

Also, Endogamy the settling of a long-drawn out chess game by marriage between the two opponents.
Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: amitate - 01/02/03 05:32 PM

KJV, Numbers 31:18

"But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves."

k

Posted By: Faldage Re: amitate - 01/02/03 05:34 PM
limit marriage to members of the opposite sex.

Technically that would be exogamy. The objects of endo- or exo- are relative to the group that the marrier is a member of.

Same species:endo::different sex:exo

Posted By: maahey Re: amitate - 01/02/03 06:51 PM
What a wonderful page! Once again, thank you wwh. I am delighted by the terminology, viz., Collateral Kinsmen, Fictive Kinship, Prescriptive Marriage.

Teknonymy: "A practice whereby a child does not take his name from its parents but rather parents derive a name from their child. For example, an adult is known as "the father of so-and-so." ES:79.

Such an interesting concept, this. Seems like the counterpart of the Russian naming tradition. And is it therefore possible to decipher one's childless state from his or her name? And what about multiple children? Or is it a generic term, that when added to a name, indicates a parous state? Anyone know more about this?

© Wordsmith.org