Wordsmith.org
Posted By: rav lazy noodles?? - 12/17/02 06:26 PM
there is such dish called (literally) lazy noodles. these are noodles made mainly of white cheese (cottage cheese? i'm not sure is it the same) and flour. i wonder what's the name that english-speaking people use for it.

Posted By: wwh Re: lazy noodles?? - 12/17/02 08:38 PM
I found twenty recipes for "Lazy Lasagne" but none for lazy noodles. The cheese named
was mozzarella.

Posted By: rav Re: lazy noodles?? - 12/18/02 05:53 AM
no, it's definitely not mozzarella cheese. and not a lasagne.

Posted By: Bingley Re: lazy noodles?? - 12/18/02 10:59 AM
Maybe if you could give the original name, somebody might recognise it even if they don't know that it means lazy noodles.

Bingley
Posted By: rav Re: lazy noodles?? - 12/18/02 03:40 PM
the problem is that lazy noodles is a literal translation. so it is original name and i would like to know the english version of it.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: lazy noodles?? - 12/18/02 03:53 PM
Well, rav, as Bingley said, maybe if you posted it in Polish (I assume it's Polish?) one of us might recognize it. For example, I know what kielbasa is but I don't know what the literal English translation is. It could be there is an English version of "lazy noodles" that is not a straightforward translation.

Posted By: Faldage Re: lazy noodles?? - 12/18/02 06:04 PM
Or, to put it another way, we know what lo mein is but we don't know what it means.

Posted By: rav Re: lazy noodles?? - 12/19/02 01:49 PM
if you think so, all right. it's kluski leniwe. any conotations?

Posted By: Faldage Re: kluski leniwe - 12/19/02 02:04 PM
On online translator (http://www.poltran.com/) translates kluski as noodles, refuses to translate leniwe all by itself and translates the phrase kluski leniwe as sluggish dumplings.

Googling kluski-leniwe produces a bunch of sites in Polish and one in German. None in English. The word kluski sounds familiar to me but then I'm from Chicago so.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: kluski leniwe - 12/19/02 04:22 PM
I found this:

"dumplings made from potatoes, flour, eggs and cottage cheese"
http://web.wanadoo.be/brian.huebner/EM.htm

and this:

"NOODLES & CHEESE, LENTEN (kluski z serem postne):
In lightly salted water cook 16 oz egg noodles of choice until tender. Drain well, dot with butter or margarine (about 2 T and stir in about 2 c grated or crumbled farmer cheese. Dry cottage cheese and farmer cheese may be whirled to a powder in food-processor but do not overprocess because the whey (liquid) may separate from the cheese. Salt & pepper to taste."

http://www.polishnews.com/fulltext/chef/2001/chef59_1.shtml

OK, so pierogi I know. Kluski I don't.

...and no, this is *not a recipe post.

Posted By: vika Re: kluski leniwe - 12/19/02 04:37 PM
I think I know what are you talking about. It's not noodles - these are long and thin. I'd rather call klushki/klecki dumplings. but the problem is that there is no "lazy dumplings" in (at least) Britain. cottage cheese dumplings may be? Why do you need a translation anyway? Lasagne is lasagne, guacamole is guacamole, let klushki be klushki!

(cottage cheese = tvorog in Russian, syr in Belorussian)

wellcome on board, rav
I used to be your neighbour - I am from Belarus =

Posted By: rav Re: kluski leniwe - 12/19/02 07:05 PM
oh well, sluggish dumplings will have to satisfy me ;)
Faldage: thank you for the link, i didn't know that adress.
AnnaStrophic: thank you for the recipe . that's another thing i didn't know.
vika: 1.wellcome 2.i don't need it necessarily.i'm simply curious about it.

Posted By: Faldage Re: kluski leniwe - 12/19/02 07:14 PM
You're welcome, rav. I found it simply by googling polish-english. It was the second hit.

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: lazy noodles?? - 12/24/02 10:13 PM
It's food that cooks itself without human intervention, also known as laissez fare.

Posted By: milum Re: lazy noodles?? - 12/24/02 11:00 PM
Ooooh Ted, that is soooo... cool.

And much too profound for your casual summary.

Posted By: Bingley Re: kluski leniwe - 01/07/03 04:17 AM
Umm, rav, I think sluggish dumplings might be open to misinterpretation as dumplings with slugs in. Doesn't sound very appetizing.

Bingley
© Wordsmith.org