Wordsmith.org
Posted By: hev What's your beef with meat? - 11/22/02 12:27 AM
No, this isn't an invitation to have an idealogical debate about vegetarianism... although that's how this matter came up for me.

Where did the phrase "what's your beef" come from? How did it get from being 'the flesh of a slaughtered full-grown steer, bull, ox, or cow' to being something which is obviously an "issue"?

I'm un-motivated to go looking for answers elsewhere, so I thought I'd pose this to y'all wise and learned ones from all over the world. So sue me.

Posted By: wwh Re: What's your beef with meat? - 11/22/02 12:45 AM
"Beef" meaning to complain is very old. Site below says 1880. No idea how it originated.
http://www.panikon.com/phurba/alteng/b.html

Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: What's your beef with meat? - 11/22/02 12:43 PM
> No idea how it originated.

That really beeves me, Bill.

Posted By: modestgoddess Re: What's your beef with meat? - 11/23/02 03:07 AM
Site below says 1880.

but not for "beef" as a "complaint" - only for "beef" as "yell". The former meaning is given as dating back only as far as 1950.

Been racking my brains, trying to think up where/how it might have arisen....Because Wendy's (hamburger chain, for those who haven't heard of it) had that famous "Where's the beef?" ad far more recently than the '50s - otherwise that might have been the answer.

Posted By: Faldage Re: What's your beef with meat? - 11/23/02 12:39 PM
not for "beef" as a "complaint" - only for "beef" as "yell"

That was Beef - 5, Beef - 6 is given as "To Complain." Recorded back to 1880.

OED Supplement gives an 1888 citation: He'll beef and kick like a steer an' let on he won't never wear 'em for its definition, to complain, grumble, protest.

Posted By: modestgoddess Re: What's your beef with meat? - 11/25/02 01:58 PM

I sit kerreckted. Thanks Faldage - sorry Bill!

We are still no closer to how it arose, though, are we? [scratching-head e]

Posted By: Alex Williams Re: What's your beef with meat? - 11/25/02 02:02 PM
There's actually lots of funny expressions for complaining, and I tend to picture a hard-nosed father-figure (like a football coach or a drill sargent) saying most of them, like "Stop yer bellyachin'!"

© Wordsmith.org