Wordsmith.org
Posted By: cuteprogrammer sidey - 10/27/02 10:45 PM
I was wondering if anyone was aware of the word "sidey". I've heard a couple of people use it and I also have come across it online but have never found it in any dictionary.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: sidey - 10/27/02 11:01 PM
how's it used? what's the context? can I find another way to ask the same question?

welcome to the board!

Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: sidey - 10/28/02 05:49 PM
sidey (pl. sidies) - of course! These are what you get just before you have to visit the hairdresser; what might best be described as 'pseudo sideburns'. It's a chiefly British usage, AFAIK.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: sidey - 10/28/02 06:38 PM
LOL! (laugh out loud)

thanks for the reminder; it's time to get my hair cut!

Posted By: cuteprogrammer Re: sidey - 10/28/02 08:55 PM
Thanks for the welcome etaoin! I've heard the word being used in the same context as the word seedy. Oh and I might add that I have come across this only in India. Initially I thought it might have been a mispronunciation but a lot people seem to use it in written form as well in India. I did a search on the word in a search engine and came across a few instances.

Posted By: FishonaBike Re: sidey - 10/29/02 12:38 AM
what might best be described as 'pseudo sideburns'. It's a chiefly British usage, AFAIK.

New one to me, me old son. Though indubitably useful.

Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: sidey - 10/30/02 11:28 AM
> New one to me

I learnt that meaning up in Scouse country so I guess most Southern pansies arn't too familiar with it [g]
I have no clue as to how or why sidey might have come to mean 'seedy' though I'm afraid, cuteprog.

Posted By: FishonaBike Re: sidey - 11/01/02 02:26 PM
I learnt that meaning up in Scouse country

Yeah, well - us Southern pansies would never have sideys would we? Occasional designer stubble, perhaps.

I'd be interested to know if this is a general Northern term. Rhuby, Jo?

Posted By: Bingley Re: sidey - 11/04/02 01:10 AM
There is the rather old fashioned slang term side, meaning getting above yourself. Could this sidey refer to a sort of shabby genteel claim to an undeserved social prominence?

Bingley
Posted By: Jackie Re: sidey - 11/04/02 01:12 AM
There is the rather old fashioned slang term side, meaning getting above yourself.
There is? Would you mind using it in a sentence, please, so I can understand?

Posted By: Bingley Re: sidey - 11/04/02 02:39 AM
When administering chastisement for example, an extra smack might be given "for side".

Bingley
Posted By: Jackie Re: sidey - 11/04/02 02:42 AM
Thanks. So, side is similar to cheek, then? Is side a noun in this slang usage?

Posted By: Bingley Re: sidey - 11/04/02 02:48 AM
yes on both counts

Bingley
Posted By: Jackie Re: sidey - 11/04/02 03:09 AM
Merci.

© Wordsmith.org