Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Fiberbabe coppice - 10/20/02 12:11 PM
I had never heard or seen this word before last night - I was reading about my latest object of obsession (elephants), and I ran across this passage:

In reply to:

...the small, gnarled trees coppice when laid on their sides, turning branches that touch the earth into new sets of roots.

Silent Thunder, Katharine Payne

Atomica claims it's something different: A thicket or grove of small trees or shrubs, especially one maintained by periodic cutting or pruning to encourage suckering, as in the cultivation of cinnamon trees for their bark.
See also: copse. [Well, that makes sense...]

http://m-w.com seems to recognize it as a verb, but not exactly in the way she's used it above:
transitive senses : to cut back so as to regrow in the form of a coppice
intransitive senses : to form a coppice; specifically of a tree : to sprout freely from the base

SO - can someone find a citation that substantiates her use of the word? Have I been living under a rock that I've never heard it before? Has anyone seen trees do this? Can I have a nickel?

Posted By: Wordwind Re: coppice - 10/20/02 12:38 PM
Hi, FB

Yes, I've seen trees do this many a time. And naturally. In fact, it happens to trees that fall after storms or high winds and many new trees will come up eventually around the fallen one.

However, I've never seen the verb "coppice," although I've seen and recognized the noun form and had just assumed it meant a copse, so it's pretty exciting for me--a great tree lover--to now have a verb for what I've seen many times in nature.

I saw once a red mulberry tree that someone had cut back to get rid of it, and the next season dozens of young mulberries came up from the cut-off trunk. That's a little different in application in that the tree was entirely cut back, so I'm not sure whether your coppice verb would apply. However, I'll check my tree references and see whether I can find some quotes for you.

Thanks very much for the verb.

Posted By: wwh Re: coppice - 10/20/02 01:13 PM
Almost forty years ago I read about the then richest man in the world named
Daniel Keith Ludwig getting conttrol of a huge tract of land near the Amazon, having
a papermill built in Japan on a huge barge and transported across the Pacific Ocean
and up the Amazon river. He had a forestry expert who had selected a couple of rapid
growing trees that by coppice management could yield a sustained yield of
wood for paper making;. The coppice management meant that the tree could be cut
close to the ground, but would not be killed, and in a short time would bebig enough to be
harvested again. Other experts predicted that such "monoculture" would invite disease to
wipe out the whole project as gad previously happened to large plantings of rubber trees.
Apparently the project failed, and the land reverted to the Brazilian government. But I
never found any magazine stories about it.
Elsewhere in ancient times coppice referred to maintaining a sustained yield of
firewood by cutting branches off trees rather than cutting the trunk. The word also refers
to a place where the trees are not tall.
One sad thing about the Internet is that sites get removed, so that it is now impossible
to find anything about Daniel Keith Ludwig on the Internet.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: coppice - 10/20/02 01:20 PM
Well, we've sure discussed "polling" of trees before here, but now I'm wondering what the difference might be between polling a tree and coppicing it...???

Posted By: wwh Re: coppice - 10/20/02 01:35 PM
Hallelueia! I found a site about Daniel Keith Ludwig that was not there a year ago.
http://www.pir.org/main1/Daniel_Keith_Ludwig.html
Now I've got to go look at it to see if I can find out what happened to the paper
business.

Posted By: wwh Re: coppice - 10/20/02 05:15 PM
copse - 1578, contraction of coppice, from O.Fr. coupeiz "a
cut-over forest," from V.L. *colpare "to cut, strike," from
L.L. colpus "a blow" (see coup).

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: coppice - 10/21/02 02:34 PM
You find coppice in a polis station.

Posted By: wwh Re: coppice - 10/21/02 03:15 PM
And a gay male is non colpos mentis.

Posted By: quoththeraven Re: coppice - 10/21/02 10:36 PM
> You find coppice in a polis station. <

CK, I really enjoyed your twist. Your mind thinks similarly to mine. Be afraid ... be VERY afraid. :)

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: coppice - 10/22/02 07:04 AM
S'okay. You appear to be in British Columbia. I'm just in British. Takes more than that to scare me!

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: coppice - 10/22/02 04:43 PM
FB:

Thanks. I guess there's a word for just about everything. I took a picutre of one of these trees in the side yard of a lovely old house in Ocracoke NC, this summer. I'd had about as much as I could stand of being cooped up with two kids during a rainy day, even though the hotel room was 1400 (yep 1400!) SF. So I took a walk in a gentle misting rain, called in Ireland a soft day, and saw this coppiced tree.

I'll look it up on the disk and send it to anyone who asks.

TEd

PS:

I have this REALLY neat new digital camera that records directly onto a CD-RW in the camera, and can take more than 300 pictures on one disk! Goodbye film!

TR

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: coppice - 10/22/02 04:44 PM
Of course, some plants won't do this coppice stuff. Members of the mint family are typical, subscribing to the legal theory of non coppice mintis.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: a soft day - 10/22/02 04:45 PM
A misty day is a soft day? Is there a hard day, too, in Ireland?

Posted By: TEd Remington Is there a hard day, too - 10/22/02 04:53 PM
No, a hard day's night.

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: coppice - 10/22/02 07:20 PM
coppicing is a very ancient form of woodland management in Britain. As has been suggested, above, it involves cutting young trees (about 8 year old, usually - does depend a bit on the variety of tree) back to about a foot above ground level and allowing it to re-grow. The new growth takes the form of sefveral thin shoots which, after about five or six years are thick enough to be harveted and the poles used for a variety of purposes. One of the main ones was to make charcoal, which was a major fuel in Britain until the late C18, when the canal system made transpoirt of mined coal so much cheaper that most people could afford it. (By which time, the tree population of Britain had become greatly depleted, from the demands of ship-building and house-building.)
Another use for coppiced wood was for the making of hurdles and baskets. In the southern parts of what is now Cumbria, coppiced oak was used to make large baskets which were so close woven that, without any sort of caulking, they would hold water.

Posted By: slithy toves Re: coppice - 10/23/02 02:00 PM
As Macbeth said when he saw Birnam wood bearing down on Dunsinane, "Cheese it, the copse!"
Sorry, couldn't resist.

Posted By: wwh Re: coppice - 10/23/02 02:19 PM
Dear slithy: I'll bet you cannot find a mention of camouflage older than the one you
mentiond.

And a URL with a picture of a coppiced tree in RC's region.
http://www.strum.co.uk/scratch/everdon.htm

Posted By: slithy toves Re: coppice - 10/24/02 01:32 AM
a mention of camouflage older than the one you
mentiond

Probably not, Dr.Bill. Obviously it's existed in nature forever, but when was it first mentioned?

Posted By: Faldage Re: coppice - 10/24/02 09:28 AM
I just found out last night that one of the women in our chorus is Katy Payne's daughter (Katy herself has sung in the chorus in the past) and I told her about our discussion of her mother's use of coppice. Katy is off in England involved in some animal conference. The elephant wasn't there, being in the refrigerator at the time.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: coppice - 10/24/02 10:01 AM
ok, I'll bite:
the elephant is in the refrigerator?

Posted By: Faldage Re: frozen elephant - 10/24/02 10:11 AM
Old series of jokes. Favorite of USn school boys.

How do you get a giraffe in a refrigerator?

How do you get an elephant in a refrigerator?

The Lion called a conference of the animals. Everybody came except the Elephant. Why didn't the Elephant come?

A group of Great White Hunters came upon a crocodile infested river. The bridge was out and the nearest bridge was 100 miles away. They desperately needed to get across the river today. How did they do it?

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: frozen elephant - 10/24/02 11:17 AM
hmmm. I used to be an USn schoolboy, and I teach 5-8 grade now, and I don't remember that one...

but it does remind me of the other old goodie:

how do you get down off an elephant?

Posted By: of troy Re: frozen elephant - 10/24/02 11:43 AM
that was my Dad's favorite...
Silly, silly, you can't get down of an elephant, down comes off a goose!

Posted By: Faldage Re: frozen elephant - 10/24/02 12:51 PM
How do you get a giraffe in a refrigerator?

Open the door, put the giraffe in, close the door.

Posted By: vika Re: frozen elephant - 10/24/02 04:53 PM

Open the door, take the giraffe out, put the elephant in, close the door.

Posted By: Faldage Re: frozen elephant - 10/24/02 04:58 PM

Open the door, take the giraffe out, put the elephant in, close the door.

Horrorshow! Now:

The Lion called a conference of the animals. Everybody came except the Elephant. Why didn't the Elephant come?

Posted By: TEd Remington Why didn't the Elephant come? - 10/24/02 05:16 PM
Forced celibacy because he was in the refrigerator?

Posted By: Faldage Bzaaaap! - 10/24/02 05:31 PM
Forced celibacy

Minus one hundred points for introducing adult content into a harmless children's riddle game.

Posted By: Sparteye Re: coppice - 10/28/02 03:00 PM
I was reading about my latest object of obsession (elephants)

... don't tell me ... it was a picture book of elephant graveyards?

Posted By: consuelo And then there's this one - 10/31/02 12:41 AM
Why did the elephant paint its toenails red?

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: And then there's this one - 10/31/02 12:43 AM
to hide in the cherry(or apple) tree...

ever seen an elephant in a cherry tree?

Posted By: consuelo Re: And then there's this one - 10/31/02 12:46 AM
Or a strawberry patch! Ever see an elephant hide? [giggle]

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: And then there's this one - 10/31/02 12:48 AM
why'd the elephant wear green sneakers?

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: And then there's this one - 10/31/02 12:38 PM
How do you get an elephant down out of a tree?

Posted By: Jackie Re: And then there's this one - 10/31/02 10:31 PM
How do you get an elephant down out of a tree?
Umm--tell him you see a flying mouse coming toward him?

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: And then there's this one - 11/01/02 12:02 AM
you don't.

Posted By: jmh Re: And then there's this one - 11/01/02 07:03 AM
How do you know that there is an elephant in bed with you?

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: And then there's this one - 11/01/02 10:04 AM
how do you get an elephant down out of a tree? You sit him on a leaf and wait until autumn ...

Posted By: Wordwind Re: And then there's this one - 11/01/02 10:11 AM
In reply to:

How do you know that there is an elephant in bed with you?

By all the peanut shells under the covers?

Posted By: jmh Re: And then there's this one - 11/02/02 04:09 PM
>How do you know that there is an elephant in bed with you?
>By all the peanut shells under the covers?

Good try.

It is very easy actually because they always wear pink pyjamas with the ketter "E" embroidered on the top left pocket.

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: And then there's this one - 11/03/02 08:39 PM
Tellme - if elephants make love in the water,

do they take their trunks off first?

Posted By: TEd Remington if elephants make love - 11/04/02 12:51 AM
You'll be looking for new trash bin liners.

Posted By: FishonaBike Re: if elephants make love - 11/08/02 04:01 PM
You'll be looking for new trash bin liners.

Are you implying that an elephant wouldn't come prepared, TEd?

© Wordsmith.org