Wordsmith.org
Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Teachers of Spanish - 09/23/02 01:03 PM
Amusing note on another board I read.

Woman was relating a college experience to a supervisor and referred to her "Spanish professor" only to be corrected by her supervisor, "... let's say professor who taught Spanish ..."

Is "Spanish professor" too ambiguous?

k

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Teachers of Spanish - 09/23/02 01:10 PM
When I read "Spanish professor," I immediately thought that this was someone who taught Spanish. I don't think it would be a bottom line requirement to say, "My professor who teaches Spanish..."

JMO,
WW

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Ambiguous? - 09/23/02 01:11 PM
Not to me. I think the supervisor was pulling a Faldage on her.

Posted By: wwh Re: Teachers of Spanish - 09/23/02 01:11 PM
California must have many Hispanic professors, but I doubt that any of them are Spanish.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Teachers of Spanish - 09/23/02 03:37 PM
Well, my math teacher wasn't a logarithm...

(my teacher who teaches math? )

Posted By: wwh Re: Teachers of Spanish - 09/23/02 04:25 PM
My math teacher was a polymath.

Posted By: Bean Re: Teachers of Spanish - 09/23/02 04:44 PM
If this was an oral thing (as opposed to written down) there is a difference in how they are said:

SPAnish professor - professor who teaches Spanish
spanish proFESSor - professor who is Spanish

At least when I would say them out loud there is a subtle difference. (The emphasis is somewhat more subtle than the caps I used, but there is no intermediate size!)

Posted By: Faldage Re: Pulling my own Faldage - 09/23/02 05:03 PM
I'm assuming this was a spoken exchange (or would that be an exchange that was spoken?) and I would say:

A) if it was spoken with the main emphasis on Span- it should be taken as meaning the professor who taught the Spanish language.

2) If it were spoken with the emphasis on the -fess- and the rest of the phrase were spoken with a relatively low emphasis then it could be taken as meaning my professor who is Spanish.

But Note:

If the phrase is to be taken as meaning a professor who was of Spanish nationality, the implications of the phrase "my Spanish professor" smack of some rather unsettling ideas about ownership.

Posted By: wofahulicodoc my three words' worth - 09/23/02 05:14 PM
All of the above.

The usual meaning of Spanish Professor is "Professor of Spanish." The rest is commentary.

Wordsworth said "We murder to dissect." I thought at first it was T S Eliot. Or maybe Dylan Thomas. Good thing I checked!
Truly we do, sometimes.

Posted By: FishonaBike Faldaging - 09/24/02 08:48 PM
the supervisor was pulling a Faldage on her

Shouldn't that be dumping a Faldage on her?

Posted By: Faldage Re: Faldaging - 09/24/02 09:23 PM
dumping a Faldage on her

Since it's not anything I would ever do, I'd call it inventing a Faldage on her.

Posted By: FishonaBike Re: Faldagerie - 09/25/02 01:52 PM
So what would a little bit of faldagerie be -

a faldageot or a faldagette ?

Posted By: wow Re: Faldagerie - 09/26/02 01:47 PM
If used often -perhaps faldagealot?

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Faldagerie - 09/26/02 02:17 PM
Oh, geez...another Faldagegate!

© Wordsmith.org