Wordsmith.org
Posted By: slithy toves Chalk one up - 09/01/02 03:13 PM
http://www.bartleby.com/81/10476.html

Is this use of "long chalk (or chalks)" primarily British? I've always heard "not by a long shot," presumably a reference to some type of competition, such as a horse race, where a probable loser is called a long shot. Do people still use chalk to keep score in dominoes? And if so, is there a short chalk as well?

Posted By: FishonaBike Re: Chalk one up - 09/02/02 12:11 PM
"not by a long shot," presumably a reference to some type of competition, such as a horse race, where a probable loser is called a long shot

From a Britlish perspective, slithy:
In a horse race, I'd call horses less likely to win "outsiders", not long shots. If you placed a bet on one of these you would be "taking a long shot". In other words, the long shot is your bet rather than the horse.

The most common use of "long chalk" I've heard is:
"Did your horse/team/whatever win?"
"Not by a long chalk"
Interesting that I've only ever heard "long chalk" statements in the past tense, never as predictions.
"He'll win by a long chalk" and "He won't win by a long chalk" sound very strange.

At least here in the South of England, dominoes aren't played like they used to be, which is a shame. However, as far as I'm aware, pen and paper has taken the place of chalk marks.

I reckon a "long chalk" may be the long diagonal line you draw over the preceding 4 vertical marks on every 5th point (as per marking off the days in a prison cell - counting without numbers). In other words, winning by a long chalk is winning by 5 points, which makes for a clear win when the marks are side by side. Total supposition, but feels plausible.

Posted By: wwh Re: Chalk one up - 09/02/02 03:44 PM
I thought "chalk one up" referred to score in bowling.

Posted By: maverick Re: Chalk one up - 09/03/02 08:20 PM
the game of dominoes, where the notation is made by chalk on a table

Since when? It has always been scored with lovely little ivory pegs in a cribbage board when I've played it, so I guess I had assumed that was normal! Now, darts has always been traditionally scored with chalk marks, and a long line of marks would indicate the completion of scoring throws, so to beat your opponent by a long chalk makes an obvious visual sense...

but as Fisk says, just supposition really =)

Posted By: FishonaBike Re: Chalk one up - 09/03/02 09:50 PM
Hi mav - good to see ya again

Now, darts has always been traditionally scored with chalk marks, and a long line of marks would indicate the completion of scoring throws, so to beat your opponent by a long chalk makes an obvious visual sense..

You're certainly spot-on [is that a dominoes expression? ] here; darts have always been scored with chalk marks. I've no actual recollection of chalk marks being used to score dominoes, and I suppose that would imply a little portable blackboard, as dominoes have to be played at a table. Dunno, there's something about that that rings a faint bell - image of little blackboards built into tables in old pubs?

Certainly pen & paper wouldn't appear in pubs. But I'd presume crib(-bage) boards have been around for years, so why not use them? Even if the ivory pegs get lost you can use matchsticks.

© Wordsmith.org