Wordsmith.org
Posted By: fidelio synonym for this phrase - 08/11/02 10:43 PM
Hello all,

I'm new to your lovely area and I'm hoping someone can help me with a word that means "furtive rustling between the sheets." It's a single word and may be an old-fashioned one, like canoodling. Any suggestions?

Thanks a million,
Gia

Posted By: wwh Re: synonym for this phrase - 08/11/02 11:06 PM
susurrus
n.
5L < susurrare: see SUSURRANT a whispering, murmuring, or rustling sound

Posted By: fidelio Re: synonym for this phrase - 08/11/02 11:38 PM
Sorry, I forgot to mention that it's not susurrant, murmurous, frou-frou, soughing, purling, or luxuriating. Thank you though.

Posted By: wsieber Re: synonym for this phrase - 08/12/02 06:41 AM
It would be helpful to know if this is a crossword puzzle question. If true, I suspect it plays on the ambiguity of "sheets".

Posted By: fidelio Re: synonym for this phrase - 08/12/02 02:35 PM
No, it's not a crossword clue. A writer friend remembers coming across this word's meaning in an old dictionary. I've checked every reverse dictionary, alternating with synonyms of "rustling" and "sheets," but have had no luck. I was hoping for some help from the experts here. It may even be a French word like frotteur.

Posted By: TEd Remington furtive rustling between the sheets - 08/12/02 03:13 PM
Cheating (on your spouse)?

I am assuming that what you're talking about is not thee sound but the sound but the act of having furtive sex.

Posted By: fidelio Re: furtive rustling between the sheets - 08/12/02 04:14 PM
Well, not necessarily sex. It could be a kid with a flashlight reading Hustler under the covers. But, yes, it would be a furtive 'act' done in bed rather than a sound.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: furtive rustling between the sheets - 08/12/02 11:14 PM
Hey, wwh! Where's that light under the becovers word of yours you tried to teach us a while back? You know:

lucubra plus something or something plus lucubra????

Not that this is the furtive rustling between the sheets words, but at least it's a decent tangent worth bringing up again.

Another tangent, but somewhat related:

Didn't the Mennonites have something they called either bundling or cocooning? Some practice where they could bundle up either the courting boy or girl and they could thereby sortof sleep together--or at least be in bed with each other without consummating the relationship, but still be close?

Posted By: consuelo Court and Spark - 08/13/02 01:12 AM
It wasn't just the Mennonites, WW. Read this for a fascinating look at a different world, that of our Colonial forebearers.
http://www.fortklock.com/bundlingartcontents.htm

Posted By: Jackie Re: Court and Spark - 08/13/02 01:53 AM
Oh, mercy, Consuelo, I'm a D.A.R.*! Obviously not ALL of my ancestors forbore! What a difference between then and now.
*In actual fact, I mean. I don't belong to the organization.

Welcome, fidelio. Wish I could help you with your word.

Posted By: fidelio Re: Court and Spark - 08/13/02 02:39 PM
Thanks, Jackie, I knew it was a toughie. I do remember that term "bundling" from the Heath Ledger sew-in scene from "The Patriot."

I so appreciate everyone searching for me, though, and now that I know this place is here, I'll try not to be a (stranger).

© Wordsmith.org