Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Hyla snooty vs. simple - 07/29/02 03:14 PM
Here at work (for the federal gummint of the US of A), we're working on a document in which we're proposing to form three groups to address particular policy issues. Each of these groups is called a policy forum, and there's been some backing and forthing on which plural to use.

So, what do you all think? Fora is the correct plural for the Latin root word, and what I tend to use when pluralizing the word. However, it's now an English word and the dictionaries I've consulted all give "forums, also fora" suggesting that the first version is the preferred one.

The basic view of this question here seems to be that fora is more correct but sounds a bit snooty in something that will go out in a public government document, and that forums is clearer and simpler but may be viewed as less than correct by the snootier folks out there.

Which would youse use?

Posted By: Jackie Re: snooty vs. simple - 07/29/02 03:20 PM
Public document, eh? Forums, without a doubt. If you use fora, the better-educated of the less-well-educated will think you're talking about plants.

Posted By: Chemeng1992 Re: snooty vs. simple - 07/29/02 03:20 PM
people actually read govmint docs?

Posted By: Jackie Re: snooty vs. simple - 07/29/02 03:21 PM
Whoa, Chemeng, beatcha by two seconds! (nyah, nyah!)

Posted By: Chemeng1992 Re: snooty vs. simple - 07/29/02 03:26 PM
In addition to beating me to the 'Enter' key, you also posted something worthwhile. I OTOH, contributed essentially nuthin.

You get two .

Posted By: tsuwm Re: snooty vs. simple - 07/29/02 03:35 PM
>You get two.

...and then minus two for the snooty/simple reply!?

(forums)
Posted By: dxb Re: snooty vs. simple - 07/29/02 03:36 PM
Have you thought of looking for an alternative to the word forum if this has become a real issue. Perhaps "panel" would do if you don't want to use the word "committee" which maybe has negative connotations or some particular implications in the USG environment.

dxb

Posted By: Jackie Re: snooty vs. simple - 07/29/02 03:55 PM
Now daggone it, dxb--don't go throwing something as simple as common sense into a discussion about the U.S. --how did you put that, Hyla-chic?--gummint.

...and then minus two for the snooty/simple reply!?Hey--I was just going along with the practice that anything intended for the public should be geared to the lowest common whatever. I want my two back!

Posted By: Verlangen Re: snooty vs. simple - 07/29/02 04:15 PM
If you use fora, the better-educated of the less-well-educated will think you're talking about plants.

I don't understand this, unless you're referring to flora. But that couldn't be, because one who confused fora with flora wouldn't even be *comparatively well-edumacated. What am I missing?

Posted By: Wordwind Re: snooty vs. simple - 07/29/02 04:41 PM
Verl:

You ain't missin' nothin'. The educated of the less educated would read fora as a type of flora. The educated of the less educated wouldna thin' to make the quantum leap from fora to forum.

And the less educated of the less educated ain't ever gonna use fora as the plural of forum. It ain't gonna happen. So, by using forums, you just avoid all the rule memorization that occurs in some school rooms where the kids think the rule is stupid in the first place and will go out into the real less educated than educated world and say "forums" anyway. So why fight it? I would feel like a great big jackass, to tell you the truth, referring to the "fora" I read on AWAD. Conversely, I only feel like a little jackass referring to the forums I read on AWAD since none of my friends can understand why I'm interested in posting on a word board in the first place.

Best regards,
WW

Posted By: Chemeng1992 Re: snooty vs. simple - 07/29/02 04:45 PM
<Conversely, I only feel like a little jackass referring to the forums I read on AWAD since none of my friends can understand why I'm interested in posting on a word board in the first place>

Would this then make you a 'Em-Em' instead of a 'Dub-ya Dub-ya'?? minimule??

Posted By: Hyla Re: snooty vs. simple - 07/29/02 04:53 PM
I feared you all would get the right answer.

In reviewing the draft, I changed "forums" to "fora" and said that the correct plural needed to be used (one of the drafters seemed to insist on using "fora" for the singular, adjectival form, as in "fora members," which didn't help me to think especially rationally about it all).

In thinking about it, I began to worry about where it would fall on the snoot-simple axis - and now, taking the wise counsel of the gang here, I get to reverse myself and argue for "forums."

Thanks for the input.

Posted By: Chemeng1992 Re: snooty vs. simple - 07/29/02 05:47 PM
So, Hyla, do you go out to the Boardroom and announce "I've been spending the taxpayers time on the Internet with my friends in the chatroom. They say we should use 'forums'. Forums it is!!'

Or do you just say, "I think we should use 'forums'."

Posted By: Hyla Re: snooty vs. simple - 07/29/02 07:13 PM
'Tain't no chatroom.

And I'd refer to y'all as "a panel of experts" or some such.

And you can consider this particular time covered by your very own tax contribution, Ms. Milnovecientosnoventaydos. ;)

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: I vote for "forums" too - 07/29/02 07:46 PM
with basically the same argument that em-em put forth.

© Wordsmith.org